Sign in to follow this  
CoyoteLoco

"Gear Down" in cruise or initial descent.

I am wondering why the co-pilot even listens for "gear down" while in cruise or initial descent. I have had many times when I said to do something and he says "you might want to double check that" but, If I even mutter something that resembles "Gh" he says "Gear Down". Yes I have trained my Windows Speech completely and it is not a problem with him understanding what I say. What First Officer would put the gear down in cruise flight? Shouldn't he not listen for this command only during the landing portion of the flight? It is very upsetting to take a hit on VAFS because your co-pilot is a moron.

Yes I use the soft mute key and the hard mute while in cruise flight, but when talking to ATC during your vectors to final, when you need your co-pilot working with you, he should not be listening for "gear down" until a certain portion of the descent, primarily once you reach the landing portion of the flight.

Gear are not speed brakes, so he should not put them down as if the are.

Becoming very disappointed with what could be a great product if it used a little more AI.

I have also noticed other little problems too. One, in the 737-900 he will switch the engine start switches to continuous during before taxi procedures, (after flaps set) but not on the 737-800. Why?

FS2Crew iFly737NGX version 3.2 with iFly 737NGX version 3.2.1 on FSX Acceleration, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Dana Wiles

I believe the 800 model or BBJ models have a 'auto' option, so there's no Cont position.  

Gear Down:  The Gear Down command should only work in Approach and Landing modes.

So even if the 'gear down' command is somehow detected by the speech recognition (as you see in the Green bar), the FO should not act on the unintended command unless you're in an appropriate mode.

There is an Auto Position on the starter switches which is where it defaults to after engine start, however there is a continuous position just like the -900, I use it on every flight. I do not fly the BBJ version and cannot comment on whether the BBJ has a Continuous position or not, but I know the -800 does. However, this is a minor issue, I can turn a couple of knobs and is not a problem, just thought I would bring it up while I was writing about my main issue.

Back to my main issue. I have had the co-pilot put down the landing gear numerous times (the last three on VAFS which charges for gear damage) while "descent" is clearly displayed on the FS2Crew panel and we have not completed any procedures for descent. The aircraft was in level flight, miles away from TOD. Besides that, from speaking to "real world" pilots, the descent check list should be performed near or shortly after the TOD which places FS2Crew's co-pilot into Approach mode while speed is still well above gear extension speed. These pilots also say that the Approach checklist is usually performed at or near 10,000 feet, which is when the aircrafts speed is under the 250 knot speed for gear extension damage. But, again, I have had the co-pilot extend the landing gear while in level flight, Descent showing on the FS2Crew panel on a number of occasions and having it triggered during descent while Approach is showing is still too early because of the descent speed between TOD and 10,000. Again, I am only doing what "real world" pilots have told me when the checklists should be performed.

I do appreciate your quick response to my inquiry.

Dana Wiles

Dana Wiles

Hi Dana,

The ignition switch would stay in the 'Auto' position, not Cont for those models.  Staying in 'Auto' is technically correct.

As for gear down, in a future I'll update I'll tie more conditions to the 'gear down' command to avoid unintended 'gear down' commands should that phrase be somehow detected in cruise.

Best,

I started my flight today and left the start switches in Auto and when I told my co-pilot the were in auto, he continued on. I will leave my switches in Auto for T/O and Landing now.

I would appreciate it if you could tighten up the gear down command in future updates. That would be very helpful. Any plans on actually tying in the weather radar now that iFly has implemented it into the system. Not sure what needs adjusted on it, just curious.

Again, thank you for your attention and quick replies. It is highly appreciated.

Dana Wiles

Dana Wiles