Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Save Concorde Campaign

did you vote in the only way that might actually do something: by donating a few tens of millions of pounds?Talk is cheap, money makes the world go round.There are far more important aircraft than Concorde that are silently retired and noone even talks about it.The 747 classic is disappearing rapidly for example. This is the single aircraft type that made long distance airtravel cheap enough that almost anyone can now afford to fly intercontinental! The impact of the 747 classic has been far greater than the impact of Concorde (which is the economical descendant of the DC-6) could ever be.Same is happening with the DC-10, 737-200, the 707 and DC-8 are already gone.Those aircraft don't even survive in museums (a very few exceptions do exist, but there will be less 747s in museums than Concordes, even though over 100 times as many were built).

Fair enough comments, Jeroen. However, Concorde is very special to the British people (and probably a fair few French people also). It is also UNIQUE. The Boeing 747-200 Classic may be a nice aircraft, but there are plenty of Boeing 747's still flying around.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest BAe146Guy

Concorde symbolises the hopes and dreams of two nations in the 1960's. If you ask anyone on a street in Britain and i presume it s the same in France what aircraft would you most like to fly on the answer would every time be concorde. You can go to an airport and get on a 747 anytime you like, concorde has that magic about it for even the people who did not get to fly on it. It is a national institution so in that sense it is more important than say a 747 terms in historical terms for the two nations.

As previously mentioned, the Type Certificate for Concorde has been withdrawn by Airbus. Without a TC, Concorde will never fly unless it is under an experimental cert. which is under the control of the CAA.I respect those with the time and effort to strive for such a lofty goal, but the retirement of Concorde is both political and economic. The economic hurdle is one thing, but if the CAA and Airbus want it to stay on the ground, no one can change that.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 Mechanic

There are far more important aircraft than Concorde ...I wouldn't come over to England or France and say that if I were you. Concorde is very special to lots of aviation enthusiasts - even in the US (shock horror!). Take a look at www.airliners.net and search for Seattle and Concorde. You might be surprised at how well received she was on her arrival there a couple of months ago.We all know Concorde was withdrawn for economic reasons but that doesn't stop it being the world's most famous civilian aircraft. 747s? Sorry, ten a penny and pretty ugly to boot. That's not something you could ever say about Concorde - probably the most elegant aircraft ever to grace the skies.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You've never seen a Comet?Concorde is pretty, but IMO just about anything produced post-1960 is ugly :)

I haven't seen a Comet in the flesh but even if I had I would still have to say Concorde is the most beautiful aircraft ever designed. All very subjective eh? Each to their own.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If the Vulcan XH558 can fly again, and it now seems almost certain that it will for display purposes, then I would think the case in favour of Concorde doing the same must be VERY strong indeed.This goes far beyond economic considerations or environmental pollution. In any case, I would have thought the Americans should be the last to protest on the basis of such issues since they as a nation are acknowledged worldwide as being amongst the worst offenders. Do I hear "Kyoto"?Quote "Developed countries such as the United States, with only 25 percent of the world's population, are responsible for more than 75 percent of the accumulated greenhouse gas pollution in the atmosphere to date." Unquote.This is about the pride of two nations who succeeded in creating an engineering marvel that will live on in peoples' memories for evermore.Just my tuppence worth ;)Mike

Hi Mike,So what does the USA's refusal of Kyoto and XH558 have to do with Concorde flying again? I view your quoted comment as a direct snub at all Americans, whether they supported it or not, and has no bearing on this topic. I'm Canadian so don't count me in with the USA. It's just my opinion.As far as XH558 is concerned, it never had a CAA civilian type certificate and therefore is much easier to register under the experimental category. Concorde on the other hand had a CAA T/C which has since been revoked by Airbus and CAA. This in itself is a huge hurdle as it's the CAA's decision whether or not to allow Concorde to fly again.Now back to the discusion about Concorde without political/nationalistic remarks ;) .Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 Mechanic

>I know that some of you may believe that this is a waste of>time, but then nothing EVER gets done if we do not try. What a DUMB idea !Concord was flying barely a few months ago. If you want projects like this - rather restore some nice vintage aircraft that very few people ever saw in flying condition during their lifetimes. I recall once seeing some old Ford 3-engine airplane flying and it gave me real goose bumps. With Concorde flying - wait another 50 years and then you can have some measurable impact ....Michael J.

Guest CE550 Flyer

>I have no idea if you are British or not, but I do know that>there are thousands of people in Britain, France and around>the world who would love to see even one Concorde take to the>skies again. This campaign is dedicated to making that dream>come true.How many of them are willing to pay for it........

What a DUMB comment. I am not interested in any prehistoric aircraft from the Stone Age. It is CONCORDE that I would like to see flying again. That is why I used the name "Concorde" in the thread title.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris,My sentiments exactly.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Bill Kunert

The Concorde is a beautiful aircraft and it would be great to see it in the air again. I used to get to see it fling into and out of Dulles when I was at the Xerox training center in Leesburg, Va. Very impressive. Hopefully those of you on the east side of the pond will get your wish one day. Personally I'd like the see the SR-71 back in the air. Built over 40 years ago and, as far as we know, never equalled in performance. Kelly Johnson was responsible for some great aircraft starting with the P-38 right through the SR-71.RegardsBill