Sign in to follow this  
do_denver2

New NVIDIA Drivers

I just installed the new drivers, and everything basically seems the same.  I'm going to delete my shaders and see if I get any magical improvements.  In the release notes it mentioned that it will help in CPU bottlenecked situations.  We'll see... So far my CPU seems to bottleneck the same as before.

Interested to know how it turns out.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I haven't noticed any difference in performance, the 337.88 seems a little worse (2 fps) than the 337.50 Beta but barely noticeable.  

There is now a "Shader Cache" On/Off option that I think is new, or I just never noticed it before.

The water in P3D looks very good at any sun angle now ... testing with SGSS.  Will do some testing using standard MSAA and see.

I'd like to know how to get FXAA + HBOA+ ... seems very application specific.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm interested in people's experiences as well.  For now, I'll hold on to 337.50 unless there's anything groundbreaking. 

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Well after a few hours buzzing around this evening I'll give the driver a thumbs up.  Perhaps it was just a lucky session I had, but performance was outstanding pretty much everywhere outside of of ORBX PNW Seattle.  Certainly the driver doesn't do anything that would have a negative effect.

I installed them (clean), deleted the shader cache, reapplied my NI settings and rebooted.

Anti-aliasing:  Might be seeing a slight improvement.

Performance:  Might be a slight bit worse.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Mumbo Jumbo.

Is there a note from nVidia to the effect that Prepared3D is supported much less improved?

Have they included specific support for SLI or Crossfire?

Methinks its placebo effect.  However if it makes you feel good ...  :rolleyes:

Any improvement over last WHQL ?(335.23)

I am also with DX10 FSX and P3Dv2.2

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I haven't noticed any difference in performance, the 337.88 seems a little worse (2 fps) than the 337.50 Beta but barely noticeable.  

There is now a "Shader Cache" On/Off option that I think is new, or I just never noticed it before.

The water in P3D looks very good at any sun angle now ... testing with SGSS.  Will do some testing using standard MSAA and see.

I'd like to know how to get FXAA + HBOA+ ... seems very application specific.

Cheers, Rob.

Just had a quick flight with the new drivers and the water seems a lot better with standard settings.

Daz

I can't say P3D is either better or worse with the new drivers. I also have not been using NVidia Inspector for a good 2 months now and can't say I see a real difference with that either.

Just had a quick flight with the new drivers and the water seems a lot better with standard settings.

Agree, tested with standard MSAA and water does indeed look better.  When using SGSS AA the water looks positively fantastic in any light condition (even at lower water detail settings) ... the only down side I've noticed with using SGSS AA via nVidia Inspector is that I'll frequently get the dreaded:

Faulting application path: V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\d3dcsx_43.dll

at Prepar3D startup.  When I stop using NI, I never see this error.

But as far as I can tell there is NO change to the base Prepar3D profile that nVidia provide on driver install ... it does still say verison 2.0 in base profile but it's hard to determine exactly what that reference really means.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll see SLi/Crossfire (I'm actually now more interested in Crossfire support given the R9 295X2 outperforms two Titan Blacks in SLi for $500 less) ... AMD might be more responsive to working with LM than nVidia.  SLi support from nVidia may take some time and I doubt LM would hold up releasing v2.3 just for nVidia.  And now that the Titan Z seems to be vaporware (delayed for some unspecified reason), I'm leaning towards camp AMD for my next GPUs.

Cheers, Rob.

Mumbo Jumbo.

Is there a note from nVidia to the effect that Prepared3D is supported much less improved?

Have they included specific support for SLI or Crossfire?

Methinks its placebo effect.  However if it makes you feel good ...  :rolleyes:

I'd really like to see LM pick up the pace with nVidia regarding drivers/inspector.

I just don't need anymore features at this point.

Mark

Faulting application path: V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\d3dcsx_43.dll

I tend to get this error when I alter the tessellation settings. Usually a shader rebuild clears it up.

Are your NI SGSS settings causing any performance issues?

How do you configure NI for P3D?

Regards,

Daz

My sentiments exactly! What the heck is taking so long for proper Nvidia support! I mean this a major defense contractor with a lot of weight! Send some goons over to Nvidia and demand support by the next version please. Thanks.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I'd really like to see LM pick up the pace with nVidia regarding drivers/inspector.

The ball is not in LM's court and they really have no control over nVidia's developer support priority.   nVidia probably don't consider P3D to be a major title (and it's not) when compared to other game titles that can sell as much as 6-8 Million copies in just first day of launch.  nVidia's priority is most likely based on volume sales .. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it'll be sometime this year.

heck is taking so long for proper Nvidia support! I mean this a major defense contractor with a lot of weight!

Lots of weight, but not lots of volume sales of software that requires good GPUs.

Are your NI SGSS settings causing any performance issues?

4X SGSS AA will drop performance significantly (2560 x 1600), but that's not specific to P3D ... that's across the board in any 3D based software.

How do you configure NI for P3D?

You first need to make sure you delete the "base profile" for Prepar3D (any time a new driver install is initiated the Prepar3D base profile will come back to life).  Once that is deleted you add a new profile and associate it to the Prepar3d.exe.

I have come up with some settings here for using NI and SGSS:

High (SGSS)

http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.php

Medium (SGSS)

http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_Medium.php

Both have no shimmers, no jaggies, no shingles, no bangles ... but be aware any close proximity to clouds and performance will really drop.  Also suggest turning off Road traffic with SGSS, especially if you have Orbx Vector 1.15 installed.

I wrote a tip on how to recover from these d3dcsx.dll crashes here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/441704-recovering-from-g3ddll-crashes-and-tips-to-diagnose/

Like I said earlier, I only seem to get these d3dcsx.dll crashes when I'm running NI with SGSS AA.

Cheers, Rob.