Sign in to follow this  
Guest Graeme Paterson

FPS Drop When Cycling Through Views

Guest Graeme Paterson

HiI have just received my new Computer and am really amazed at how smoothly the sim is running on my new rig. I have however encountered a strange problem which is particularly noticeable (though not exclusively) around the larger more detailed Airports. For example at KDFW using the PMDG 737 when i initially fire up FS2004 i see an FPS count of 20+ from the cackpit view (most sliders are to the right). This level of performance continues until i cycle thru the other views avaiable (i.e. VC, Spot Plane, Tower) where on returning to cockpit view my FPS count has dropped by 50% (i.e. it is now 10ish). This reduced performance continues until I either a) take off and fly away from the vicinity or :( hit alt+tab twice to switch out of FS2004 and back again.I would be graeful if anyone can explain why this might be happening as , apart from this, i am delighted with my new PC and am glad i decided evenmtually to make the jump from Fs2002.System details are :-AMD Athlon 3800+1 Gig DDR RAMRadeon ATI X800 ProWindows XP Home - SP2FS2004 - with update installedMany thanksGraeme

Guest RonB49

Hi Graeme,I would try two things:1. I would disable autogen and see if that corrects the problem, if not, then2. I would go into the Keyboard Assignments (under Options menu) and assign a key to the Scenery Refresh function (I use Ctrl+Shift+s). When your frame rate drops, press your scenery refresh key(s) and see if that fixes the problem.Report the results back here. R-

Guest Graeme Paterson

RonResults as follows :-1. No difference - still see the same % frame rate reduction when cycling thru the other views.2. Successful - this puts the frame rate back to the original value. Obviously there is a a slight interuption to the flight while it resets the scenery but it is only a few seconds and is much better than switching out of the program and back again by pressing alt+tab.I suppose the best answer is to fly from the cockpit and avoid viewing in spot/tower view although it is quite difficult with all the new eye candy in FS2004 compared to FS2002.Anyway thanks for your help - much appreciated.Graeme