Sign in to follow this  
damian03

Re: Multi Crew Expeirience Cockpit Builders Question

Good Morning Sir/Ma'am,

I am looking at getting my flight simulation of the Desk and getting a Jet Max cockpit (by Flight Deck Solutions). I was wondering if MCE was compatible with Cockpit builder aircraft editions?

Kind Regards

Damian Doyle

Damian Doyle

Flight sim's: FSX and X-plane

Hello Damian,

With Cockpit Builder applications, you are demonstrating your serious approach to the Flight Sim hobby.

Multi Crew Experience would be my recommendation. As they say on their home page:-

"Whether you are a flight simulator enthusiast, looking for more realism, real pilots temporarily grounded due to economic downturn, or simply want to enjoy what the product has to offer; we believe you will find a purpose to this outstanding application."

With MCE you have an application that has a minimal VAS usage. If running FSX that 4 Gb application space is precious and since MCE runs outside of FSX, for the most part, there is no risk of MCE fouling the sim. Even though you can run multiple PC's with those "builder pits" the Flight Sim is still a 32 bit program so you want something stable, when considering this kind of application.

Some high end sims (I see there is a ready made 737 in the product range you mention) use a great deal of VAS. So much so, that one has to be aware of any additional software you may be running. Scenery and weather being but two examples of these. Therefore you can use MCE and be assured you wont CTD because of it. If you are in any doubt, MCE even has a visual on screen display of your remaining VAS ( may be disabled of course via menu).

So VAS and program stability are big plusses for me. I can not think of any compatibility issues with either large complex simulator builds or basic desktop flight decks. B)

No doubt others will be able to comment further, but in my honest opinion, I would not look beyond MCE, if you are a serious simulator pilot.

Regards,

David.

Good Evening David,

Thank you for responding. Hopefully il have my cockpit up and running in the next few months. Budget permitting.

At least I have approval from my wife. :-)

Kind Regards

Damian  

Damian Doyle

Good Evening David,

Thank you for responding. Hopefully il have my cockpit up and running in the next few months. Budget permitting.

At least I have approval from my wife. :-)

Kind Regards

Damian

That's great. Perhaps you could post some photos of the Flight Deck after you have it installed?

Having the approval from the CEO (She who must be obeyed) is a real boon! B) Without that, take offs are hazardous, to say the least! :unsure:

Once you get MCE installed, you have a support system that's second to none. Its direct to the developer who cares about his product and the pilots who are his customers!

Regards

David

Hi David,

I will definitely take photos for all to see.

Not only having the approval, but we are looking at buying a house, and my wife has already marked of a room for my Flight Deck.

Regards

Damian Doyle

Damian Doyle

Good Morning Sir/Ma'am,

I am looking at getting my flight simulation of the Desk and getting a Jet Max cockpit (by Flight Deck Solutions). I was wondering if MCE was compatible with Cockpit builder aircraft editions?

Kind Regards

Damian Doyle

Damian, MCE would be great for ATC interaction, but if you plan on using to interface with a  Cockpit Software suite, not so. Most cockpit software suites operate outside of FSX for system interaction which MCE controls. Some issues will be switch conflicts, ex you say Gear UP, but the lever it still down so it becomes a fight between hardware and software and no idea who would win. I used a virtual co-pilot before on my ole pit, but it was too confusing figuring out which switch was in a hardware position compared to a software position. MCE would probably work best in Ifly's Pro Edition due to all of its systems are running in-sim....ie I can say set MCP to XXX and it will change the sim and Hardware.

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your info. I'm definitely looking at getting the I-fly pro Edition. Would you recommend FSX as the Simulator?

Cheers

Damian

Damian Doyle

Damian, MCE would be great for ATC interaction, but if you plan on using to interface with a Cockpit Software suite, not so. Most cockpit software suites operate outside of FSX for system interaction which MCE controls. Some issues will be switch conflicts, ex you say Gear UP, but the lever it still down so it becomes a fight between hardware and software and no idea who would win. I used a virtual co-pilot before on my ole pit, but it was too confusing figuring out which switch was in a hardware position compared to a software position. MCE would probably work best in Ifly's Pro Edition due to all of its systems are running in-sim....ie I can say set MCP to XXX and it will change the sim and Hardware.

Interesting discussion.

Whilst we all strive for realism in our flight simulator hobby.  MCE surly gives us the realism of flying a multi crewed aircraft with just that, a multi crew, there is a perfect storm of contradiction when we come to the flight deck suite.

Seemingly, if you fly with a  (real) full cockpit suite you need a (real) first officer and/or flight engineer.

I find it disconcerting that if we go the whole hog and build a flight deck in our garage/bedroom or garden shed, then we have to go back to flying it alone, like before MCE came along. (Notice I did not mention "the other" product, which is too ready made and restrictive in use!) :P

I accept that the MCE ATC component can be utilised perfectly, but not the first officer/flight engineer.

Unless there is some way of programming MCE to look at the specific software code that's used in the Flight Deck Suites and intuitively understanding that the gear switch is in the wrong position, then I am afraid it does not appear to be a viable solution to our goal of achieving realism in the sim?

There is a place for flight decks built upon the single pilot concept. The Twin Otter comes to mind, which is flown singly crewed on certain airlines. Also the ultra modern light jets which are single crew certified. But as for the "favourite" 737/777 you appear to need a real life first officer to make it work.

So Damian, it looks like you are going to have to ask your wife to agree to some first officer flight training and ask her to join your crew your sim pit :rolleyes:

Best regards to all and enjoy the hobby!

David

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your info. I'm definitely looking at getting the I-fly pro Edition. Would you recommend FSX as the Simulator?

Cheers

Damian

Ifly has a Prepar3d version Cockpit Suite which I have migrated to as P3d is still being developed vice FSX. Each suite has pros and cons and I would look at all of them considering your needs and budget.

Hi Vincent and David,

Thank you both for your help much appreciated.

It might take awhile to get the wife to see if she wanted to join in on my hobby. I help her with her Mud racing so, I have a little bit of begging to do  :rolleyes: 

Vincent I have been looking at P3D v2 for awhile as I would get more out of it, especially the $500+ GTX 680 4GB card I got a few months back.

Cheers

Damian Doyle

Damian Doyle

I agree with Vincent. The *functions* of your simulation will happen as the FO does the work, but no hardware on your JM will change. There is no conflict that'll shut your sim down, but the hardware switches and such will be out of place as time goes on. What a pita. It's for that reason I don't allow the FO to do the manual work.

I'm using an expanded version of the JM, added a lot of stuff on my own. I'd post pictures of it but can't figure out how. FDS no longer sells iFly. In fact iFly has gone strictly commercial. SIM-A seems to be the way to go, it's available on the FDS site. BTW, I'm using iFly/FSX.

Email: doug@jdtllc.com if you wish to discuss this further...

Doug

I agree with Vincent. The *functions* of your simulation will happen as the FO does the work, but no hardware on your JM will change. There is no conflict that'll shut your sim down, but the hardware switches and such will be out of place as time goes on. What a pita. It's for that reason I don't allow the FO to do the manual work.

I'm using an expanded version of the JM, added a lot of stuff on my own. I'd post pictures of it but can't figure out how. FDS no longer sells iFly. In fact iFly has gone strictly commercial. SIM-A seems to be the way to go, it's available on the FDS site. BTW, I'm using iFly/FSX.

Email: doug@jdtllc.com if you wish to discuss this further...

Doug

Ifly has not gone strictly commercial. It still available for non-commercial use: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?search=true&filter=all&txtsearch=ifly

They do have a commercial branch like most high-end simulation suites do. Pro-Sim,FDS, etc.