Sign in to follow this  
jscott5150

help with first flight

After 3 trys final got my working Saitek usb pro yoke working. I tried about 8 times last night and could not get my Cessna flying. I am using clear sunny conditions. I have my flaps up at about 10 I use my throttle and foot pedal to control the plane down the runway and slowly pull back on yoke.The plane lifts off and starts going up then all the power seems to quit but while I am climbing for a few seconds its like it stals and turns sharply then heads straight down. I don't understand about the mix fuel etc. Can someone give me some advice. I have been reading but not understanding some things.

Also for button controls what views do most people use and any other recommendations for button use.

thanks

Hey jscott,

hard to say...I should be sitting with you in the cockpit. Anyway, unless you have got a heavy load or a very short runway, one notch of flaps is all the Cessna needs to lift off, usually at a speed of 56 kts. I can only guess you're pulling to hard and sending the Cessna into a stall and a spin, But it is only a guess. How many ft per minute are you keeping while taking off?

One other thing: unless you're flying from a high altitude airport, with a relatively high density altitude, you won't use the mixture until reaching about 5,000 ft AMSL, below that you won't need it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help,

Enrico

Thanks Enrico, I usually don't pull up until 75-80 for my speed, but I probably am pulling up to hard as I am trying to get used to the yoke. I will try tonight to go up slower. What viewing do you use for flying to look out the cockpit at the plane outside etc.

Also how many ft per minute should I be trying to kjeep it at on take off

Well, the Cessna can climb at a good average of between 500 and 700 ft per minute, at least until reaching 4,000-5,000 ft asml, after that the climb rate will slowly reduce until the service ceiling, where you won't be climbing anmore.

As for the view, I rarely use an outside view, I tend to stay in the cockpit, and look at instruments and charts, but this is something very personal, you may do as you like. For viewing I use EZCA software, very useful, easy to set and it makes a very good combo with TrackIR.

Enrico

The plane lifts off and starts going up then all the power seems to quit but while I am climbing for a few seconds its like it stals and turns sharply then heads straight down. I don't understand about the mix fuel etc

Hi jscott,

What Cessna are you flying? Also, the mixture needs to be full forward on takeoff. Same goes for the prop lever, full forward. Slowly increase the throttle on your takeoff roll and gently pull on your yoke when you approach 60 knots. Once airborne and at safe altitude, retract flaps and adjust prop, throttle and trim to maintain a steady climb or level flight.

I hope this helps a little,

cheers

It does help thank you, it's more practicing and getting used to the instruments and the yoke. Also I am using the Cessna that vines with x-plane . A funny thing last night I was playing and got if golf the ground ever though every tunes I turned I lost power and even trying to stay straight with playing with trim the plane would gain or lose height, but the funny thing is I coukdn't find the airport just stuck in sky . Any quick ideas for this

Here are a couple of good documents to read.

http://www.flightsimbooks.com/flightsimhandbook/

http://www.atpflightschool.com/students/downloads/ATP-Cessna-172-Training-Supplement.pdf

I will tell you, not long after "just flying around" for a while, I quickly realized how complex the world of flight is when I asked myself  "OK, now how do I know where I'm going?", somewhat like you are doing. For every question, there is a Google answer and probably a few good YouTube tutorials, either real or simulated. All I do is investigate using these all these resouces when I need to learn something new, and then piece it all together.

The complexity of it all is what makes this so compelling, IMO. I learn something new pretty well every day and I'm still just trying to become half-decent at the basics of flight and navigation with the Cessna 152!

Have fun!

Thanks , I have been using YouTube and get a snip it here and there just trying to learn more quickly but thanks