Sign in to follow this  
kbowler

Key commands menu definitions not working

I have recently wanted to set up a B747 taxi lights on/off switch on my CH Yoke using FSUIPC to define a suitable set of keystrokes.  So for the first time ever, I tried to define a keyboard definition using the PMDG menu on the menu bar.    I defined taxi lights on/off using Ctrl+Shift +< keyboard key defintion. It seemed to accept my definition OK, but Ctrl+Shift+< still did not switch on the taxi lights.  I checked the B747_keyboard.ini file inside the PMDG folder in FSX, and the definition has been saved there, but does not seem to function.     I have rebooted FSX with the same aircraft, but the keystrokes still do not work.    I then decided to try to define keystrokes on the PMDG MD-11 which uses the same type of entry procedure in the menu bar.  It, too, accepts definitions but they do not work!.   I am now at a loss; am I missing a procedure of some kind.  It looks as if all keyboard definitions I try to set up do not work properly on either aircraft.     Having not tried to define special keystrokes on the B747 or MD-11 before, I cannot tell how long, if ever, the keyboard commands menu has not worked.   For information, I am using FSX on a windows 7 64 bit system.   I have FSX in the root folder of my main C drive, rather than in the default location.  All relevant files and folders have full permission rights, and I am working in administrator mode, with UAC disabled.   

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

Keith Bowler

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

Somewhat of a stupid question, but I'll start from the most basic:

Is the "pilot controls aircraft lights" option selected in your aircraft realism menu?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi

Yes the landing lights are set in Realism settings and already work fine with other aircraft e.g. PMDG B737 NGX.      It is such a long while since I used the B747 and MD-11 that I cannot remember whether the keyboard command menus items are all filled in with default items or completely empty, which they seem to be on my aircraft.  I suspect that unless defined, the aircraft uses the button definitions from FSX's own control menus, and leaves the key command menus items blank, but I am not certain.  Certainly my attempt to use the keystrokes Ctrl+Shift+< for taxi lights is not working on either B747 or MD-11.  The B737 NGX and B777 both use menus from the FMC CDU so they work differently, and I have successfully set up this key string in them, and subsequently defined a joystick button via FSUIPC to carry that string out. 

Regards

Keith Bowler

Certainly my attempt to use the keystrokes Ctrl+Shift+< for taxi lights is not working on either B747 or MD-11.  The B737 NGX and B777 both use menus from the FMC CDU so they work differently, and I have successfully set up this key string in them, and subsequently defined a joystick button via FSUIPC to carry that string out. 

Hmmm...perhaps some of the PMDG updates to their core logic are effecting the old products.  That's just my guess, though.  Might be worth shooting them a message through the support portal to see what they have to say, as you seem to have everything else covered (UAC, admin rights, etc).

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle

I think your suggestion is likely to be the most effective.   The rest of the aircraft seems to function OK, but it only has to be one small thing to cause the key command software to malfunction.

Thanks

Regards

Keith Bowler