Sign in to follow this  
TrafficPilot

I'm in a quandary - FSX DX10 or P3D - or both?

So I bit the bullet and bought the "academic" licence for Prepar3D.

Why? 

I was sold by the promise of "non-popping" autogen and cloud shadows. I also liked the idea of P3D being continually updated and improved.

I've had v2.2 for a couple of weeks now and am tempted to remove it and get a refund. YES autogen doesn't pop and YES there are cloud shadows which are pretty but as they say "nothing in life is free" and my poor old FPS is suffering a bit especially with "Tesselation" switched on (with it off it's much smoother).

Now A2A have released their wonderful looking Cherokee and I want it. But I've noticed you can't have one copy to work in both sims unless you fork out yet more cash over and above  the $49.99 asking price (which is pretty steep but it sounds worth it for this litle gem).

My FSX DX10 runs pretty damn well. It looks good, I have proper shadowing now thanks to Steve's DX10 fixer and all the aeroplanes I like work fine in DX10.

Anyone else using DX10 AND P3D? What are your thoughts? I'm still in two minds about it.

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

So I bit the bullet and bought the "academic" licence for Prepar3D.

Why? 

I was sold by the promise of "non-popping" autogen and cloud shadows. I also liked the idea of P3D being continually updated and improved.

I've had v2.2 for a couple of weeks now and am tempted to remove it and get a refund. YES autogen doesn't pop and YES there are cloud shadows which are pretty but as they say "nothing in life is free" and my poor old FPS is suffering a bit especially with "Tesselation" switched on (with it off it's much smoother).

Now A2A have released their wonderful looking Cherokee and I want it. But I've noticed you can't have one copy to work in both sims unless you fork out yet more cash over and above  the $49.99 asking price (which is pretty steep but it sounds worth it for this litle gem).

My FSX DX10 runs pretty damn well. It looks good, I have proper shadowing now thanks to Steve's DX10 fixer and all the aeroplanes I like work fine in DX10.

Anyone else using DX10 AND P3D? What are your thoughts? I'm still in two minds about it.

Adam

I'd buy more storage space any day, rather than delete a mature FSX installation.   I mean, HD's are so cheap-to-the-GB...that why is deleting anything even considered today, even if you might run it now only a few times a year?  The point..is that you still have the option to revisit DX10/FSX any time..and I do.  Why the heck, NOT?!!!??!   FSX is no dog, barking just because P3D is around...!  I am a raving lunatic for the adoption of P3D...but as a logical evolution from FSX.  The only thing I have found, is that you might also find, that the very tangible and real advancements to the M.S. franchise seen in P3D v2.2, might, might 'jade' you into running to that platform, for most of your M.S. based usage.  That has been my M.0.   Just to let you know though...that a lot of Orbx's custom airports are NOT P3D native install ready. I have PNW running killer in P3D, but can not enjoy KORS at the moment....WHAT A BUMMER!  I can of course, in FSX, and so press the 'start' button to do that.....    Your choice, in all things....

Post Edit: BTW...BE PATIENT with your fiddling around in P3D. There truly is a learning curve..and there TRULY is differences to how you will configure your N.I. settings. Also...this is very important...VERY IMPORTANT...anytime you use a new program that N.I. has already a profile...YOU MUST DELETE FIRST that profile..and then build your own...setting that profile to  recognize for instance in this example (P3D.exe)  Why do you ask?  It is because N.I. uses the latest 'create date' tagged to that profile..and even if you modded the P3D profile, it will NOT be the actual profile that comes online, when you re import your saved files...

So...let's say you have upgraded your driver package...that will re install the 'canned' P3D profile..and will now hijack your custom for when P3D starts.  So...again, you always, after a new driver install, open up your N.I...and delete all your new driver installed program profiles...(before you do this...of course, you have saved out all your custom profiles..l.right?!?), and then import all your profiles back. NOW...you are cooking with gas!  Now...your programs will see your N.I. program specific profiles as X.exe fires up....

Some people are not actually running their settings, as N.I. will secretly see the stock profile..and ignore their modded ones.  This was posted some time back...and very few, including myself was aware of this fact.  All my profiles now come into play...because I first delete all my P3D, M.S. FS9, M.S. FSX, XPlane  profiles upon new driver installation, and then immediately import all my saved files. I then reboot my system, back to Desktop.  NOW...(slapping hand's together), one is cooking with gas!  :)  Hope this helps..

Mitch