Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just some 'heavy demand' FPS .25----> .30 observations...

Wow that is some system, I'd be a happy man! I wonder is it as simple as the higher resolution you are running? Have you tried resizing the XP window to see if that raises the frames?

Yeah I have.  Cant' seem to get it to "matter".

I'm natively at 2560x1600 30"

Well if the framerate doesn't increase by resizing the window I always understood that that rules out being GPU bound and indicates being CPU bound which I have a hard time seeing in your case tbh. I found today that water reflection detail has a big impact on my framerate of 10fps or so even if I'm not near a large body, so though it looks fantastic I've mine set to none if I'm away from water or low if near. My settings are below for comparison and I run at 29-30fps steady once I've given it a minute to settle after start.

Capture2.PNG

Bell%20407_7.png

Bell%20407_8.png

What kind of frames are you seeing ? I have similar specs.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Your video card doesn't have enough memory for a 30" screen ! I am maxing out my memory on my 6gb Gtx-780, according to Nvidia Inspector. What kind of rendering setting are you using ? Win 8.1 doesn't help either. 

Eric Escobar

Agreed - VRAM seems very important in xp10..

Maybe wait for the 6gb 780 to come out?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Your video card doesn't have enough memory for a 30" screen ! I am maxing out my memory on my 6gb Gtx-780, according to Nvidia Inspector. What kind of rendering setting are you using ? Win 8.1 doesn't help either. 

How can I verify the memory issue either way?

I've had rendering settings at literally all levels and had issues (like to the bottom completely on settings where the GUI is showing 300-600 of vram usage - which I know is more in total, but still).  Love some tips on testing that area of things.  Probably tested about 300+ program launches with a variety of settings across 3 clean installs now.

Re: Windows:  Can you elaborate?  Is that just opinion re:  8.1?  I only went with 8.1 as I know that MS will only be pushing further directx forward with Win 8+ and I also enjoy using P3D so I wanted to keep the leading edge available.

EDIT:  Found the memory usage monitor in inspector.

I have only needed gobs of VRAM when I run photoscenry, with default scenery I did not find the vram usage to be too high.

Some things that helped me in the past

1) clear out any and all plugins that you don't use, taking some out gave me back some major frames(I am thinking of a forcefeedback one I was previously using)

2) Try a World Draw distance of high, and lower the visibility slightly, you'll never notice the difference.

If you fly a chopper, then you can even use medium, since you probably won't be looking to far into the distance.

Well I've found I absolutely cannot set texture resolution above high or I get stutters and low fps.  It's got to be due to my VRAM.  Personally I don't think the XP readout is correct.  Because if I set very high text res the VRAM only goes up a few hundred MB's to maybe 900 total.  But it's unplayable.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well I've found I absolutely cannot set texture resolution above high or I get stutters and low fps.  It's got to be due to my VRAM.  Personally I don't think the XP readout is correct.  Because if I set very high text res the VRAM only goes up a few hundred MB's to maybe 900 total.  But it's unplayable.

Check your vram with Nvidia-Inspector while you are running XPX. I have the GTX-780 with 6GB of vram, and I am maxing that out ! I could probably use an 8GB card. It's been out for a few months now. 

I've had rendering settings at literally all levels and had issues (like to the bottom completely on settings where the GUI is showing 300-600 of vram usage - which I know is more in total, but still).  Love some tips on testing that area of things.  Probably tested about 300+ program launches with a variety of settings across 3 clean installs now.

Re: Windows:  Can you elaborate?  Is that just opinion re:  8.1?  I only went with 8.1 as I know that MS will only be pushing further directx forward with Win 8+ and I also enjoy using P3D so I wanted to keep the leading edge available.

I just remember someone comparing win-7 to win-8 on this forum, and there was a noticeable difference in FPS. 

Eric Escobar

You are right, it's not a true reading. I don't think it accounts for AA. Use nVidia inspector (or some other program) to monitor VRAM usage when in XP.

May I ask what's getting everyone to have such high VRAM usage?

I bumped up against my 3GB more than a few times when monitoring in NI, but most of the time I was in the mid 2GB range.

What all impacts VRAM usage? (Trying to learn here).

Thanks!

One person here did get better frames with W7, but I have tried with both W7 and W8 on the same system and there was no difference in FPS. If anything, Windows 8 should be slightly faster as it is supposedly a better optimised OS.

Good to hear...

I really didn't relish the idea of doing a new Windows 7 install. :-)

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me earlier. When I said resize your XP window, I literally meant make it smaller on the screen, I wasn't referring to resolution at all. If as you make it smaller your fps increases then you are GPU bound. It's just a quick way to isolate your likely problem.

I have similar issues when running HDR - I can get over 40+ on non-HDR. When I tick HDR I get 20 or less, pretty much on any settings I apply.

My specs are very similar to yours too....

Sad sad sad - Non-HDR is great though, love flying this sim.