Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Orbx Northern California Tour - Leg 10

Orbx Northern California Tour - Leg 10

Flightplan: NCA Leg 10 - Sky Vector (171 nm / 2 hrs)

This leg celebrates the release of A2A’s Piper Cherokee 180.  We may get lucky and have an experienced/qualified real world pilot to instruct us on the proper operation of this aircraft (Hope you can join us Rob).

Starting at Gnoss Field (KDVO) the route crosses San Palbo Bay and Vallejo, entering the Sacramento river delta before our first stop at Funny Farm (4CA2).  The next stop is a 24 mile hop to Lodi (1O3), followed by a longer 40 mile cruise up to Placerville (KPVF) in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.   We will continue, turning south, flying over the Sierra foothills to Calaveras County (KCPU) and finish at Pine Mountain Lake.

Recommended Scenery: Orbx FTX Northern California (NCA) Regional Scenery

Recommended Aircraft: A2A Cherokee or A2A Cessna 172 or favorite GA plane (~110 knts speed)

Time: Saturday May 31, 19:00 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Looking forward to it Jeff...

Yous guys are all pros anyway... but if a question arises, hopefully I can help out.

You fly a cherokee in real life Rob? I've been interested in it but I think I am actually going to transition from a C172 to a DA20 or 40

spacer.png

Hi Eamonn,

I have most of my time in Cherokees (PA-28s)... most of that in 161s (Warrior IIs) but I have time in the 140s, 151, 181 (or 180?), 28R-201 (Arrow III) and the Dakota (235hp).  You could count the Saratoga too I suppose (PA-32) since it's a stretched version w/ 300hp.  I'd have to dig out the logs to see if any other models... but that's the general stuff.

Both wing styles (Hershey Bar vs. semi-taper) were fun, but the HBs were interesting with that big fat "stubby" wing.

I never flew one with that camel hump in the middle of the dash and trim on the roof (that I can remember) like our A2A '65 C model.  Switches became more than something out of a Radio Shack catalog to rocker types in the middle and the C.B.s moved to the right panel (and changed to a more "modern" type).  Just a couple other small changes in the panel.  But am quite familiar with the plane.

"flown" i.e. past tense... I hope by next summer to start spending money I don't have to checkout in something. :lol:   i just saw an article in this month's AOPA (June) by Rod Machado called "The Four C-note Lesson"  for 1.2hrs (w/ instructor) in a glass C172.  :crazy:   Unbelievable.  I remember the $35/hr C152.

Katana / DA40 sounds like great fun.

There's a guy in Alabama... Greg Koontz... that does aerobatic instruction in a Decathlon.  He's got a J-3 too... exactly how I'd like to break-in after all these years off.   I was a dope and didn't go after any taildragger time before the taildragger sign-off became required.  I could have been grandfather'd in (no sign-off).  That and not getting my ATP when it was 1200hrs TT my (two) regrets.

Good stuff Rob, many more hours than i have at my paulty 130 or so in mainly a 172 with a couple 152 time. ;)  I really hated the 152 though, felt like flying a mini. ;)  But the spins were fun.

spacer.png

I hope I'll be able to join, good timing with an A2A release right before a long weekend (in Sweden, at least  :lol:).

I've had some trouble with random crashes (to desktop) during the day though...

I've had some trouble with random crashes (to desktop) during the day though...

New graphics card by chance? :Just Kidding:

Wish I could join you this weekend.

If for nothing else, a visit to the Lodi Airport Café whose slogan is: "Where good pilots land and brave pilots eat." See the local color review in the Lodi News-Sentinel here. Nice routing by Jeff, especially the beautiful finish.

But mostly for the chance to hear some of Rob's Cherokee tales.

Hope you all enjoy.

Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'm going to duct tape my mouth (or pull the mic jack and save tape & beard) as y'all know my forte is "talks too much".

Come to think of it... I've made my share of stupid / silly mistakes (all when I was a student pilot!  really!!)  that might be entertaining.

Sorry to hear you cannot make it Mike.

The stupidest thing I did as a student pilot was on my 2nd solo, I had maybe 11 hours (green eh?).

I was doing a touch and go (on Rwy 9) and i landed it no problem, but I neglected to retract the flaps before applying full power, the airplane suddenly yawed to the left ALOT to the point where I was headed off the side of the runway (runway was 150' wide).  I was actually headed for the northeast corner of the intersection of 9 and 15 and for the life of me I just forgot to put in rudder input.  Anyway, I managed to get off the ground before I plowed off the side of the runway but boy that scared me for a sec. ;)  That was my last touch and go for that day.  The tower even asked me if I was alright as they noticed i was not where I was supposed to be.

All in all every touch and go I did after that was correct, retracted the flaps before applying full power and proper rudder input.

b7c3a9e590b0e13a8fbfbe43a4fe02c5.png

spacer.png

Mike,

Goin to miss you - Will bring you back a $100+ burger from the Lodi Airport Cafe'  :P

Just a reminder, only if you wish... Please fill in the slots in the alias worksheet here . I donot own either of the A2A civil planes yet.. (WILL eventually) Would like to alias you'all to the stock 172 and/or AI PA28-180 so I can take some photos and of course "as real as it gets" LOL!. This applies evenly.. If I "not have it" and you do - or "I have it" and you do not, it makes for a better MP experience.  

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

I've posted an FSX flight plan for this leg in the File Browser of the Teamspeak Casual Flights channel.

See you all soon.