Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Orbx Northern California Tour - Leg 10

A view from the PIC seat:

cherky1.jpg

First one is Nick who has decided that perhaps, 'That's close enough pal'

cherky2.jpg

Oh poop! Here comes another one! Nick dives out of the way as Josh joins the party.

cherky3.jpg

Reason number one for Nick's later discomfiture.

cherky4.jpg

Reason number two.... :spiteful:

Great flight last night. :good:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I think Bry was in G-KELS, I was in N832PW - unless you had me aliased to G-KELS.

Great flight though, and very nice pics Ron!

Apologies Nick. It was Bry who was the wuss. :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

i may be able to join you on one of these soon, just sorting my pc out, installing osses and such :rolleyes:

TJ_zpscc357935.png

Big "thank you" to Ron for hosting another splendid outing in Northern Cali, to Jeff for planning a fun route, and to everybody (especially Rob) for all the helpful tips for flying the Cherokee. I must have been doing a few things right because the only gripe I had on my maintenance sheet at the end of the night was "badly fouled plugs."  Probably from all the idling we did along the way.  

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

the only gripe I had on my maintenance sheet at the end of the night was "badly fouled plugs."  Probably from all the idling we did along the way.  

Probably.

Kudos to all, was fun. ;)

spacer.png

the only gripe I had on my maintenance sheet at the end of the night was "badly fouled plugs."   Probably from all the idling

Yeah Craig... if you are using the massive-type plugs, (A2A has simulated) they will foul if you do not lean on the ground.  Might be able to get away with it (i.e. mixture full rich) in the air at the higher cruise settings at the lower altitudes we were flying.

On the ground, I pull the mixture out about half-way.  I look for an rpm drop, then bring it up a little.  Afaik, there isn't a way to screw up an engine by leaning at near idle rpms.

The caveat tho... it HAS to be up "where it should be" i.e. full rich before takeoff power (there is an exception for higher density altitudes).   You can certainly screw up an engine (to failure) by having a leaned mixture at full power.  Is why one needs to verify mixture is full rich (and carb heat off) before adding power.

On the ground, I pull the mixture out about half-way. 

I was trying to do that. I guess I just wasn't leaning it out enough.  Now where did I leave that wire brush... :P

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Now where did I leave that wire brush... :P

And the sandblaster... :P :P