Sign in to follow this  
Garciamk3g

Little Trouble here Expert Needed Please

Quick explanation, I have this nice Addon Scenery ESMU i downloaded from somewhere, when i visit the airport with the Piper Cub everything is neat and dandy. Even with AI.

But so far when visited by the Default Cessna or even the the Payware Nemeth design chopper and some other aircraft's the following happens.

1.Tree textures disappear
2. AI Traffic Texture disappear
3. even the Airport Textures disappear 
4. My dash Textures disappear

Ill post some screens as soon as i get a chance

Another Strange thing i've disabled the Scenery and Re-loaded the Simulator once in the same Airport with the default Airport the nemeth Design chopper loads up with no Textures But the piper cub loads up fine??

UPDATE: Looks like i just don't give up

I have disabled all the Airports in the Area and problem went  away now to narrow down wich airport is causing the problem. If i do indeed find the Airport what should i be looking for to know wich Texture of that Airport is causing the Problem?

Im enabling them 5 at a time to see wich airport in the area is causing the problem i will post back once i find the conflicting Airport can some advice me what to look for once i narrow it down I just Re-enabled the 5 Airports below ESMU and still everything seems to be fine, I will continue 5 at a time until i nail it :-)

Progress: (Found it) Tingsryd.zip ESMW seems to be one problem  from http://files.fsnordic.net/Flight_Simulator/Scenery/Sweden/

What can i look for to figure why this scenery causes the problem above? Please let me know thanks (In the mean time have a great day) 

?

Look in the texture folder and see if there are any textures larger than 1366 KB.  If so, they are probably using 32 bit textures - try converting these to DXT1 (no alpha or black/white alpha channels) or DXT3 (gray alpha channels. 

Back up first!

Thanks Will do that now (Thanks for answering BTW)  B)  Will post back with Results

Look in the texture folder and see if there are any textures larger than 1366 KB.  

Largest file is only 171KB I will throw them into DXT to see what i can find and Report Back

Update (No 32 bit Textures in this folder) Mainly DXT1 16BIT bad DXT3 16BIT There are a few that dont Specify weather its DXT1 or DXT3 all i see for those are 16bit mostly 256 by 256) (144)

There are a few that dont Specify weather its DXT1 or DXT3 all i see for those are 16bit mostly 256 by 256) (144)

Those are likely 256 color textures and are normal.

Try going to the ESMW scenery folder (whatever it is named) and to its scenery folder. Create a folder within called 'HIDE', or anything you choose for that matter. Next drag and drop three of the Bgl files in there into the new folder. Start the simulator and check for the problem. Problem gone = one of those three. Same problem, put those three back in the scenery folder and 'hide' the next three. Repeat until you find the culprit just like you did to find ESMW. If the naming convention of the Bgls is helpful it will give you a hint on which textures may be suspect, or perhaps the Bgl its self might be faulty.

Regards,

Mel

Those are likely 256 color textures and are normal.

Try going to the ESMW scenery folder (whatever it is named) and to its scenery folder. Create a folder within called 'HIDE', or anything you choose for that matter. Next drag and drop three of the Bgl files in there into the new folder. Start the simulator and check for the problem. Problem gone = one of those three. Same problem, put those three back in the scenery folder and 'hide' the next three. Repeat until you find the culprit just like you did to find ESMW. If the naming convention of the Bgls is helpful it will give you a hint on which textures may be suspect, or perhaps the Bgl its self might be faulty.

Regards,

Mel

Dint think of that, will do thanks for the tip will give that a try today and report back B)

UPDATE: Thanks for the help Mel, out of all 15 BGLS in the scenery folder the Culprit is the one that contains the entire Airport ESMW.BGL   :mellow:  its going to be rather difficult i guess finding the Offending Texture. The texture folder contains a total of 69 textures.

its going to be rather difficult i guess finding the Offending Texture.

I hope for your sake there are not a staggering number of textures! Same process though, remove a few at a time, test, no result - put them back and remove the next few on and on until you isolate the culprit(s). The problem part is that if you have more than one bad texture you may have to repeat the whole process more then once to find them all. Another approach would be to locate the necessary utilities to auto check and fix the DXT files at least. That might save you some time. When I get more time I'll find the files and provide links if you do not find them on your own.

Regards,

Mel

P.S. 

AlphaSearcher and Mipmap Manager are the names of the executables I'm thinking of.

. When I get more time I'll find the files and provide links if you do not find them on your own.

Regards,

Mel

P.S. AlphaSearcher and Mipmap Manager are the names of the executables I'm thinking of

Thanks Mel i appreciate this  ^_^ I have the Alpha Searcher i also have a utility called DXT3-Fixer i will give that a try also Once again thank you ^_^ Mipmap Manager is this a separate Utility if so i will do a search for this as well.

Mipmap Manager is this a separate Utility

Yes it is. It adds or removes mips from the textures.

Available here:

http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?JS=True&Folder=MipMaps

and if you do not have Martin Wright's DXTbmp installed you will need the two dlls described on the above web page. (the link provided for those is a dead end)

here's a good link: http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/

DXTbmp is a very handy tool to have around anyway! It can also add mip maps, however only one texture at a time.

Regards,

Mel

For fsx if you add the following lines under [scenery] in the fsx.cfg file it will tell you what textures and/or libraries are missing. If you know the equivalent for 2004 it may help you.

MissingLibraryAlert=1
ShowMissingTextureAlert=1

Thanks Mel Mip map manager I did not have so thanks for the link.

DxtBmp I have along with alpha searcher i did find three textures that were missing MIPS and removed them but that dint seem to solve the issue.

Another thing I noticed was when visiting the actual conflicting Airport wich I haven't done lately (at the time I was only visiting the airport being affected by ESMW) Once I visited the culprit Airport the hanger texture was perfectly fine but the fence texture along with one of the car textures where black.

I tried accessing the BGL with instant scenery to see if I can remove the objects this way ( I've used this method before and instant scenery is able to get into other scenery's BGL's ) but in this case I did not work.

Considering that the objects mlds are in the same BGL I don't know any other way to remove the objects. So tommorow first thing in the morning I will try to search for the textures to those objects and see if in fact those are the affecting textures.

What confuses me is this scenery works perfectly fine with the cub but I guess is just one of those things :-)

I forgot to mention that once I reseted the flight after the airport reloaded everything went black, trees,hangars, even the runway. Note this doesn't happen with the cub.

I know it has to be a texture problem but if all fails I'll probably have to get rid of the scenery and see if I can design my own :-)