Sign in to follow this  
IguazuFalls

GSX: a must-have for the PMDG 777?

I use it for the pushback alone (though only at PHX and IAD, because it comes with those airports from FlightBeam).

Honestly, as a former rampie, I find most of the features to be rather disappointing:

The marshalling is atrocious.  It even has the gall to criticize you on your parking job, which, even if you're perfectly on the line and hash, it still gives you a hard time for some reason.  Additionally, if you follow the marshal perfectly, you're still somehow not right (hint: the reason a marshal is on the ground marshalling is to assist the crew in putting the plane on the lines...if the plane is off, it's usually the fault of the marshal).  The ramp times are painfully off (fueling takes forever, as does boarding and de-boarding passengers...or "sheeple" as we called them).  That whole feature is cool for screenshots, but not much else.  Even only flying as a passenger, you should have a better notion of ramp times than has been exhibited by the developer.  I won't criticize too much, though, because as mentioned, the pushback feature is about as magical as unicorns and my signature's rainbows.

It would be nice to be able to customize those times, though...

Kyle Rodgers

I use it for the pushback alone (though only at PHX and IAD, because it comes with those airports from FlightBeam).

Honestly, as a former rampie, I find most of the features to be rather disappointing:

The marshalling is atrocious.  It even has the gall to criticize you on your parking job, which, even if you're perfectly on the line and hash, it still gives you a hard time for some reason.  Additionally, if you follow the marshal perfectly, you're still somehow not right (hint: the reason a marshal is on the ground marshalling is to assist the crew in putting the plane on the lines...if the plane is off, it's usually the fault of the marshal).  The ramp times are painfully off (fueling takes forever, as does boarding and de-boarding passengers...or "sheeple" as we called them).  That whole feature is cool for screenshots, but not much else.  Even only flying as a passenger, you should have a better notion of ramp times than has been exhibited by the developer.  I won't criticize too much, though, because as mentioned, the pushback feature is about as magical as unicorns and my signature's rainbows.

I agree with the marshalling! It's pathetic! Sometimes the follow me car gets 'confused' and takes you round and round the airport. But you can change the fuelling and boarding/de-boarding time to as low as 10 secs so I don't see it as a problem.

Hi captains,

Kyle, which of both (AES or GSX) are you referring to? Many years now using AES and all features timing are customizable. No idea about GSX.

Ivan Lewis

PMDG B737NGX, B777 and B747v3 QOTS II

But you can change the fuelling and boarding/de-boarding time to as low as 10 secs so I don't see it as a problem.

Really?  My fault.  I guess I should've run a little deeper in to the options.  If it's customizable, that helps.  Is it customizable by aircraft type, though...?

Kyle, which of both (AES or GSX) are you referring to? Many years now using AES and all features timing are customizable. No idea about GSX.

Good question.  I should have been more specific/direct.  I'm referring to GSX.

Kyle Rodgers

Oh Kyle, should you have read the manual? I jest, I jest :) in the options you set a per passenger time. I don't recall off the top of my head if you can customise per aircraft.

I don't think you can change those times by aircraft but you can change them by fuel amount and number of passengers. Which is pretty much same as customising by aircraft.

[image]

Boom!  Look at that!  I'll have to look into that when I get home.  Thanks!

Oh Kyle, should you have read the manual? I jest, I jest :) in the options you set a per passenger time. I don't recall off the top of my head if you can customise per aircraft.

I don't even recall ever running off in search of it.  I think I just relied too much on the FlightBeam stuff simply because GSX is part of those airports, and I didn't buy GSX specifically for GSX.  Looks like I have some reading to do!

I don't think you can change those times by aircraft but you can change them by fuel amount and number of passengers. Which is pretty much same as customising by aircraft.

Actually, per passenger makes a lot more sense, along with the rest of the metrics I see in that screenshot by Lj.

Kyle Rodgers

So of you get GSX you are not using PMDG's built-in ground operations menu any longer? Or how do both interact? Can you leave e.g. fueling to PMDG and boarding / deboarding to GSX? Can you switch off marshalling as everyone here seems to agree that this function is not realistic?

So of you get GSX you are not using PMDG's built-in ground operations menu any longer?

Yes and no.

GSX can give you the visuals.  PMDG's ground ops actually interacts with the aircraft.

Or how do both interact?

They don't.  You can try to coordinate it, but I don't personally find it worth it.  The PMDG version has a little more utility.  GSX's is just eye candy.

Can you leave e.g. fueling to PMDG and boarding / deboarding to GSX?

Kind of.  You can run both functions, though GSX does require the various doors to be open and closed before bags get added/removed (though PMDG's times are a little more accurate to the real plane, and the GSX stuff can be made to fit in that window if you're clever).

Can you switch off marshalling as everyone here seems to agree that this function is not realistic?

I'm not sure.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanx Kyle. I'm more for realism than eye candy, so for the moment I won't buy it. Makes my wallet and my wife happy.

Makes my wallet and my wife happy.

Yeah.  In full disclosure, I haven't purchased the full version to use at all airports.  I just have it installed so that the built-in functions at KIAD and KPHX are functional.  I've tossed the idea back and forth to buy it just to have the pushback function at all airports, but I never really pulled the trigger.  I might get it for myself for a birthday present since it's not terribly expensive.

Kyle Rodgers

One thing to note if you are deciding between AES and GSX is that the AES does not support the DX10 Preview Mode. (I have not actually tried it, though.)  I have GSX, and run in DX10 mode and have no problems.

Charlie Powell

I've never regretted my purchase of GSX, the pushback is perfect, I also love the loading feature, I know its eye candy but for me it adds to my immersion as I only really fly cargo. I agree that the marshal could be better but for the following:

1. Follow me Truck to the Gate

2. Push Back

3. Interaction with the ground services.

That's just my take and what I get out of it, I set the cargo to load whilst I'm running through all of my documentation, CDU set up and all that preflight Jazz.