Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Helton

FSX & Acceleration CTD on Install

FSX & Acceleration have been running smoothly on my Windows 7 System for over two years when suddenly in March FSX quit opening.  I have made no recent changes to FSX, so I suspect it may have something to do with a Windows automatic update. I have done a complete uninstall and reinstalled to a new directory.  FSX gets through the installation but hangs on the initial startup at the splash screen.  I can hear music but the menu never loads.  It does get through the initial building scenery database message before it hangs.  Acceleration does not load at all.  The installer from the CD hangs.  I have not seen this in the CTD guide.  I am pasting a dropbox link to screen shots of the crashes and appcrashview reports and a dxdiag report on my system.  Please help.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0lpwmqc4s3v5i8z/AABPAO_Sr7Hi4u1bA3KuM0JTa

According to my searches on the Internet, SetupV (which caused your first crash) is a virus - http://www.latest-virus.com/setupvexe-1682, http://www.threatexpert.com/files/setupv.exe.html, http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/process/detail.asp?fn=setupv.exe.html are just some examples. The file is in your AppData/Local/Temp folder. It could be preventing FSX to start properly.

I looked at the FSX CTD report and FSX hung up and those are difficult to diagnose. What percent is it hanging at? That would give you a clue as to what might be causing FSX to stop and freeze up. Whoops! Wait a minute! Your crash report indicates you have FSX SP2 installed. You cannot install SP2 and Acceleration. Acceleration was released long before SP2 was released as Acceleration is the payware version of SP2. SP2 is the freeware version. Microsoft wanted everyone to buy Acceleration instead of waiting for the release of the freeware version. They are NOT compatible in that they are coded differently so that someone who installed just SP2 cannot get the payware stuff that's included in Acceleration. So, uninstall SP2 and even SP1 then install Acceleration (which includes SP1).

Get rid of the virus first though!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That virus apparently got through my McAffee and AdAware, but it could be the cause of my problems.  I will do what I can.  But, even so, why would FSX have started crashing in the first place? It originally was not an installation issue.  Acceleration just quit working one fine day.  I will remove the virus, uninstall SP1/2 and attempt to install Acceleration.  

I even used a registry cleaner! The instructions say to do the following.  Can you tell me the best way to check the registry and temp files and delete unwanted entries for this virus? 

1.Temporarily Disable System Restore;2.Reboot computer in SafeMode;3.delte setupv.exe virus files and kill setupv.exe file task process(if have);4.Delete/Modify any values added to the registry by setupv.exe ;5.delete IE temp files,restart the computer and run a whole scan with AVGNOD32. setupv.exe virus files as following:

I even used a registry cleaner! The instructions say to do the following. Can you tell me the best way to check the registry and temp files and delete unwanted entries for this virus?

I'm not all that familiar with anti-virus programs but they will remove the virus or malware if it is found. The virus is located in the temporary directory in AppData/Local. Those are hidden folders. I go to the temporary folder at least weekly to remove all the temporary files in this directory. Everything in there can be deleted. Windows is suppose to empty this folder once in a while but I have found it does not do a very good job and the temporary files are not being deleted. This folder is separate from the IE Temp files. The browser temp files can be removed depending on your browser - http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache. I would open up your Windows Explorer and, open up C:\ (or your main directory). Then in the upper right corner search for setupv.exe and make sure it is no where else on your system.

I would not be concerned with the registry as modifying or deleting things there can cause problems unless you know what you are doing. The anti-virus or malware program should be doing that job. You might want to download and run a program called Malwarebytes. It's freeware for a trial period but it does a great job in finding and removing malware (which I think this thing is). If the program setupv.exe is removed from your system, it won't be able to execute unless it has already setup and installed on your computer.

Perhaps someone who has an anti-virus program can come on here and help you.

Here is the link to Malwarebytes - http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I cleaned the temp folders, uninstalled SP1/2 then inserted the Acceleration CD and it crashes at the same place.  I'm uploading the report to Dropbox.