Sign in to follow this  
middiu

New PC, what do you think of this specs?

Hi Guys,

I'm considering to buy a new Desktop only to play with FSX, what do you think about this configuration? will I be able to run FSX well?

• AMD FX 8350 8-CORE BLACK EDITION CPU, 4.0 GHz, Turbo Core up to 4.20 GHz,
  • 16GB DDR III 1333 MHz Premium System Memory
  • 1000GB (1TB) Serial ATA Hard Disk Drive
  • 2GB AMD R9 270X - GDDR5 - DVI/HDMI/DP - PCie 3.0 - Eyefinity - 4K Ultra HD Ready
  • Windows 7

Any comment/feedback is more then appreciated.

Emilio

Two things are pretty well established in the FSX community:  (1) FSX performs better on Intel CPUs, and (2) FSX performs better on Nvidia GPUs.

That being said, I have an FX-6200 processor @3.8 GHz and a GTX 550 Ti graphics card.  I have to keep autogen, automobile traffic and air traffic to a minimum, but doing this gives me acceptable performance with all the GA aircraft I fly.  I have to look for clear skies when I want to fly systems intensive aircraft like the PMDG 777.  

Frame-rate wise, I get high 20's in the air and low 20's on the ground in GA aircraft, and high teens and mid '20s in the air on the big iron.  Bad weather will drop those frame rates fast.  Getting the DX10 fixer made a big difference.  It didn't boost my frame rates per se, but it definitely keeps the sim running smoother at lower frame rates.

You're looking at a beefier CPU than what I have, but it's been shown time and time again that FSX performs better on Intel than AMD, so I would expect you'll have to make some compromises as well should you go that route.  Keep in mind that FSX does not heavily utilize multiple cores, so I don't know that an 8 core AMD will serve you any better than a 4 or 6 core would--something to keep in mind if you want to save a few bucks.

Richard P. Kelly

Hi Guys,

I'm considering to buy a new Desktop only to play with FSX, what do you think about this configuration? will I be able to run FSX well?

• AMD FX 8350 8-CORE BLACK EDITION CPU, 4.0 GHz, Turbo Core up to 4.20 GHz,
  • 16GB DDR III 1333 MHz Premium System Memory
  • 1000GB (1TB) Serial ATA Hard Disk Drive
  • 2GB AMD R9 270X - GDDR5 - DVI/HDMI/DP - PCie 3.0 - Eyefinity - 4K Ultra HD Ready
  • Windows 7

Any comment/feedback is more then appreciated.

Emilio

I have the FX-8350 OC'd to 4.5GHZ with a 4GB GTX770 and I get in the low to mid  20's in the PMDG 777 at most payware airports except for London which drops me down to the mid teens still playable though. Im in the process of building a new "devils canyon " powered rig which hopefully will OC to the 5GHZ range. If I were you I'd hold off building a system till these new chips come out I'll do a direct comparison since all I'm changing is the Mobo and CPU the Graphics card and ram are staying the same.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.