Sign in to follow this  
Opus Software

Prepar3D Volumetric Fog - Reminder

Just a reminder ...

If you have a pea soup fog around your aircraft when flying with P3D ...

Then you most likely have the Volumetric Fog enabled in P3D and do NOT have the option enabled within the OpusFSX Weather Preferences dialog.

If you hear of any problems of this nature then please either direct the person to ask here on our SimForums or refer them to our FAQs or possibly to the Live Weather manual; tell them there is a very simple solution.

The reason for the 'pea soup' fog is that P3D is not able to process the normal visibility layering whenever you set its Volumetric Fog option. Hence you MUST set the OpusFSX LWE option to ensure the correct type of visibility layering and control is used.

Regards
Stephen smiley4.gif

I know that this is a terribly non-elegant solution, but why not parse Prepar3d.cfg for "VolumetricFog=1" and change the setting in OPUSFS* to match?

Also, I've noticed that every time I install a new beta, the volumetric fog setting checkbox in OPUSFS* defaults to unchecked. If I don't remember to change it, I get the behavior above.

I will have a look at the beta upgrades, they certainly should have no effect on your current Volumetric Fog setting as when you uninstall (via Windows) the configuration data file is not deleted and so should record your preference. Make sure you use Window Uninstall Programs to uninstall OpusFSX prior to the upgrade and everything should be just fine. Never delete your OpusFSX folder otherwise you will loose your configuration. I will double check though.

I will also consider your other suggestion, we are hoping and waiting for some formal SimConnect notification for the Volumetric Fog setting since this setting can obviously be changed whilst P3D is running and so could be dynamic.

Stephen :smile:

If you have a pea soup fog around your aircraft when flying with P3D ...

Then you most likely have the Volumetric Fog enabled in P3D and do NOT have the option enabled within the OpusFSX Weather Preferences dialog.

I am not familiar with Opus, therefore I am wondering how volumetric fog looks different with Opus compared to defaults p3d.  Pics might be helpful.  Thanks.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I will also consider your other suggestion, we are hoping and waiting for some formal SimConnect notification for the Volumetric Fog setting since this setting can obviously be changed whilst P3D is running and so could be dynamic.

That would certainly be better, but how many people are going to change the VF setting while in a P3d session? Either your setup can handle it or it can't.

I agree. I will look into it this morning and may try something out in beta, this might be OpusFSI though if it requires new development, but you can install and try that.

Stephen

I am going to check for the 'VolumetricFog' setting in the Prepar3D.CFG file and set the option automatically (P3D simulator mode only) in the next OpusFSX and OpusFSI Betas. I will post new betas this morning.

Stephen