Sign in to follow this  
738Captain

Help with VAS

REX Texture Direct- Highest cloud resolution

Active Sky Next

Miami City 2012 X

LatinVFR Miami V2.2

FSDT KFLL (Currently disabled for testing)

GEX

Scenery Tech Land Class North America

PMDG 777/737NGX

I have been getting OOM and OOM warnings from FSUIPC when landing at KMIA with the above combination. It only happens at KMIA and I'm wondering if anyone else with the same setup have the same issue. If I depart KMIA and fly for 9+ hours and land at my destination with the 777, I don't have that problem. When I fly back to KMIA, I get warnings/OOM. I did a 3hr 35mins flight to KMIA with the NGX, at the gate at KMIA I had used 3.8 VAS. Getting such a high VAS with the NGX, I can see why I get OOMs with the 777 at KMIA. The questions is, do I have a scenery problem or am I pushing the sim to and above it's limits?

LatinVFR Miami is huge... Maybe the Sim can just handle loading that scenery at start, and then unloading it, but fails at preloading it when you arrive.

Cristi Neagu

See here:

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors

Couple things stand out though:

1. Those Drzewiecki sceneries are notorious VAS hogs. I remember someone saying they'd OOM at the gate right as their flight started when using the New York one. They have tons of photo tiles and every building is modelled individually etc.

2. Get rid of the 4096 clouds. You'll never be able to tell the difference and it causes a pretty significant VAS increase.

Bottom line is that you're just throwing way too much at the sim in that southeast Florida area - the ultra detailed city scenery, two high detail airports, the cloud textures, and then the NGX or 777 on top of it, You have to make compromises somewhere - it's just blowing past the 4GB limit from all of that.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I was afraid of that! I suspected that was the problem but I really like Miami City 2012 X so I would downgrade the clouds and do some more testing. Ryan, I removed FSDT KFLL. If it comes down to it, I would remove Miami City 2012 X but that would be the last thing I do. Anyone who have flown around the Miami area in real life and have seen it from the cockpit can tell you that Miami City 2012 X is the closest to the real thing you can get in FSX.

I use 256 clouds, sounds crazy but they look a lot more real in my taste. I always reduce liveries down to 1024, you are anyway most of the time in the cockpit.

Two of more things I have done to save VAS. I use FSUIPCs VAS monitor.

With old FSX you have to choose between a HiFi airplane like PMDGs or hifi scenery. You can't have both.

Per W Sweden

One other thing you can do in the dll.xml file set the ManualLoad flag to True on all your optional addon dll's  (Usually your addon aircraft dll's) When FSX starts it will then ask you if you want to load each one individually. Say NO to all but what you are using for that flight. Forinstance don't load Captain Sim DLL's when you are flying the PMDG T7, or vice versa. Don't change any DLL that you need for every flight, for instance FSUIPC. Doing this will give you VAS space up front, which is important because you not only have to have enough VAS available, it must be contiguous. This is why most VAS OOM issues happen toward the end of the flight, like on approach or landing, when VAS is the most fragmented.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Where does one get 256 res clouds? The lower the better.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

No need to remove Miami City. Just scale things down. Using 512bit cloud textures myself - they look terrific!

Autogen is a VAS hog, too. Set it to 'normal', no more.

If you want to fine tune autogen add these tweaks. Setting it in fsx->settings to spars and you still have very much of them. I found somewhere long time ago someone that claimed that fsx-settings->autogen slider only affected buildings. Trees is still very high. Does not know if that is true.

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=800

I think 1 Cell is around 1 square kilometer. Set whatever you like, you do not see any autogens high up.

I use two different fsx.cfg, one for small airplanes and one for airliners like the PMDGs.

Per W Sweden