Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Misty Fjords - is it worth it?

The Misty fjords addon seems to have developed something of a cult following with many rave comments in various threads. However, it costs over 60 Australian dollars which makes it quite an expensive addon for a relatively small geograhical area (even it is the size of Switzerland). I already have 38-m mesh of this area and the scenery is indeed impressive and I find that the FSNav flightplans others have provided for the Misty Fjords addon work just fine with this mesh. So what can Misty Fjords add to justify such a large hit to the wallet?There are several addons I am thinking of purchasing at the moment but if I got them all it is going to cost several hundred dollars. I know these things all take time and effort to develop but the cost of some addons is getting excessive.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Have you tried Holger's recently released freeware Columbia River Gorge scenery? That gives you some idea of what to expect from Misty Fjords, although it doesn't have nearly the detail and features of the payware package. I don't have Misty Fjords either as like you, I find the price just a bit high for my own budget right now. However, I have no doubt it's a fantastic scenery package and probably worth the money...

Misty fjords is so much more than a replacement mesh (which is just elevation data).Download the manual to read about the other features:http://secure.simmarket.com/online/fsaddon...F_BW_Manual.pdfI second the tip to check out the freeware CR Gorge scenery. It's a small area but it comes with many (not all) of the features of Misty Fjords.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest dogknot

I think Misty Fjords is certainly worth having, especially if you are wanting realism in beautiful countryside and you love "low and slow". Besides Holger's Columbia River Gorge, I'd highly suggest his freeware Bella Coola Valley, located in British Columbia. If you like Bella Coola, you'll love Misty Fjords.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=Search

Guest knswee

Bruce if your anything like me one who likes to go low and slow to see the scenery (real wx permitting), are interested in challengeing landings or finding an alternate route to your destination because you went up the wrong mountain pass, then this might just be the last payware package you will buy for quite sometime. With all the scenery being added (free of course) the area is coming alive before your eyes. Just because of ths I have removed Mega Scenery New York from my system since I dont have the interest to fly there anymore...Hope this helps you choose.......you wont be disappointed.beaver1

Howdy,since I'm obviously biased I won't comment myself but point interested people to our main Misty Fjords user forum: http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?...05d8b653065e14aIn that forum you'll find links to half a dozen reviews, a thread with user-contributed movies, as well as lots of feedback - positive and negative - in the many posts.Cheers, Holger

Thanks all for your comments. I have the Columbia River Gorge scenery but haven't installed it yet because of the problems some folks seem to have been having with it - but I will give it a try. I suppose I am comparing MF with Active Sky, the PMDG 737NG, FS2Crew and Active Camera that I use all the time and each of these high quality addons cost less.Alaska is a long way from Australia but it it is a place I would very much like to visit one day.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest MattNW

It really depends on where and how you like to fly. If you fly in the area covered by MF and you like flying smaller bush type airplanes and getting into and out of tiny lakes and airstrips then you won't be disappointed at all with MF. It's a dream come true to someone like I just described.If however you only fly low and slow occasionally and usually like taking up the 747 or Airbus and cruising half way around the world then the price would probably be a little too high for you. MF is primarily made for the bush flying types. My personal opinion is that I love it and wouldn't want my sim to be without it but only you can decide whether it really is worth the cost.

Guest Coneman

Another option to consider is the upcoming Ultimate Terrain from Flight 1. It will have new landclass, coastlines, roads, railroads, lakes, and 3D night lights. The first one looks like it will cover Alaska and Canada, with the USA following after. At $30 US, sounds like a bargain.Todd

Guest bobsk8

Can't be beat. I was flying strickly IFR at 30,000 plus feet until I bought Misty Fjords. I just landed from a flight, where I was no more than 2500 feet from the ground in an Aerosoft Beaver. It is the best in any Sim I have flown. You will not believe your eyes. Check out Misty Moorings which is like a fan club for Misty Fjords owners. http://www.mistymoorings.com/

Guest av84fun

Ditto re: all the compliments. It is very nearly like flying in a photograph of some really awesome scenery. Like the other poster, I got bored with Manhattan after about two circuits.This is the best scenery I have seen in the sim world.Regards,Jim

Thank you for that heads up I will keep it in mind. I'm all for improved landclass, coastlines, roads etc. but for a wider area than MF offers and at a more reasonable price. Landclass is easy to add yourself for a geographical area you are familar with but you have to rely on others for the rest.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett