Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

PREVIEW: HD Mesh Scenery v2 - JAPAN

Hi guys,

as I have already hinted at here and there, I am planning to release (in about 2-4 weeks ) a "little" addition to my existing HD Mesh Scenery v2 offering ... covering the whole island of Japan. It will be similarly high resolution as the existing HD mesh Scenery v2, but its main advantages will be - compared to the default Global Scenery - vastly improved landclass data (much higher resolution and accuracy) and much improved OSM data coverage (a lot of improvements came from Japanese government supplied data).

I will also release - additionally - a "Treelines" overlay scenery (no, I think, I won't bother with farms there ... as they seem to "work" much differently there).

A few first comparisons show, that the result will almost completely change the look of Japan. On some of the screenshots, you won't believe they are from the same viewpoint if there weren’t some distant mountain ranges (showing the same general shape):

A few examples.

Before (of course, Mt. Fuji):

Japan_8_default.png

After:

Japan_8_hd.png

Before:

Japan_3_default.png

After:

Japan_3_hd.png

Nice Andras, looking forward to the release.

Thanks a bunch for your contribution!   :drinks:

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Can't wait to try this out, great work as always Andras :smile:.

Guest Mik75

Very nice! I will download that for sure! Thanks a lot for your great work, Andras!

Wow, very nice!!! Finally Asia is getting some love for once. Very interested in this, as I love to fly all over Asia. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

OK, this I'm excited about. Looking through those pictures I very nearly lost my British reserve and expressed an emotion. I do apologise.

Japan is very mountainous (something like 5/6 of the country are mountains) so lots of dramatic scenery to be had which will show of an HD mesh really well. Also VERY happy to see the landclass updates. The default Fuji for example looks like someone just dropped a giant pot of yoghurt on it. Now it actually looks like Fuji does in summer.

Just out of interest Andras how big is the file? Does it cover all of the islands or just the main 4?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

We will be talking about approximately 2 GBytes for all of Japan (well, don't ask me how much it will exactly cover, but it should be about 99% ... maybe an island or two missing ... but most should be there). And a few MBytes for the tree lines (but thats really not much),

The default Fuji for example looks like someone just dropped a giant pot of yoghurt on it. Now it actually looks like Fuji does in summer.

Well, this is a good example for the new Ice/Snow differentiation which we - I and Albert (the texture / terrain guy) - have introduced since HD Mesh Scenery v2. Originally, there was only ICE (which usually comes more in the glacial look) ,.. but now, we only use it where we know (as far as data allows it - but its quite good in the meantime) that there is really a glacier. All the rest gets the SNOW type, which gives the  more "patchy" snow look (like one usually sees the higher mountains in early summer). Well ... and Mt. Fuji definitely doesn't have a real glacier ... so, it all has changed now to SNOW, which looks much more natural.

your work is outstanding. I can't thank you enough for all that you do, your new mesh in my neck of the woods (Ontario) vastly improves on the original mesh. In particular around my hometown airport where there is now a quarry that is plainly visible and a land mark for navigation in this area. Thanks so much and am looking forward to your new mesh

Scot

Is there a special color you're using in your shots? Your XP looks nice and color saturated...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oh that - I was using a script but I think the new XP install overwrote it....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |