Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Prepar3D 2.x + FTX PNW v1.8 -drop 7-10 fps and blurries with Hybrid?

I've tested this several different ways, but from what i'm seeing, i get about a 10 fps drop if i have FTX PNW enabled in the scenery library.  This on hybrid mode.  

For example.. running a 40 second Fsmark07 test run:

Hybrid mode:                           30-34 fps

NA mode:                                 37 fps

Hybrid with PNW unchecked:  44 fps

This is also with FTXg as well.

Has anyone else noticed a drop like this.. i'm assuming this may only be for the area in the PNW (particularly the Seattle area).

I've tried this with nothing else installed or with a full on install with lots of addons, the results are the same.  This is with patching up to Patch08 or running the triple installer on a "clean" install.  This does not matter if version 2.1 or version 2.2 either.

I also noticed that the blurries are pretty quick to show up in Hybrid as opposed to using North America mode in FTX Central.

Thanks in advance..

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I've tested this several different ways, but from what i'm seeing, i get about a 10 fps drop if i have FTX PNW enabled in the scenery library.  This on hybrid mode.  

Has anyone else noticed a drop like this.. i'm assuming this may only be for the area in the PNW (particularly the Seattle area).

I've tried this with nothing else installed or with a full on install with lots of addons, the results are the same.  This is with patching up to Patch08 or running the triple installer on a "clean" install.  This does not matter if version 2.1 or version 2.2 either.

I also noticed that the blurries are pretty quick to show up in Hybrid as opposed to using North America mode in FTX Central.

Thanks in advance..

My tests haven't been as controlled as yours, but very similar experiences.

i.e.  Use OrbX PNW and watch the FPS get hammered.

Only option is turn settings way down, which sadly defeats most of the purpose of even having the add-on to begin with.

I am also seeing this, but with the Northern Cal region. Sad, because I think they just released an portover installer, instead of a version for P3Dv2 like they said. It runs horrible.

I have noticed that this area is taking a very hard hit on performance.

I'm seeing a similar result on my machine as well. My best results have come with frames locked/holding steady at 20, and NA set inside ftx control panel. This is with AA/AF set to 4x. Cloud/terrain shadows are on. If I try to set fps to unlimited, my gpu goes to 98% load and then blurries take over. I do not think orbx have optimized anything for p3dv2. Making an installer recognize P3dv2 is not optimizing.

regards, Jazz.

Yeah, I don't know what to do.  It's brutal.

I just did KSQL to KSAC with stock and I was well into the 40's all the time on FPS (often up near 55-60).

Dial in the NorCal OrbX and I'm cut in half and it's a slideshow.

I'm not sure their products are worth it if it's going to absolutely slaughter performance like that.  Some hit is expected, but not halving frame rates in a relatively sparse "city" area like Sacto.  Just shouldn't be like that IMO.

...but they already have my money, so not sure they care.  :-(

.. .What I really don't get is that my VRAM is never getting higher than about 2.5gb, and my GPU usage is never more than about 70% and my CPU, no problems there from what I can see.....

Could it really just be extremely poorly optimized (or not optimzed) things with OrbX?

I mean the stock doesn't look *awful* or anything, yet 2x the FPS!!??

I thought my blurries were better in NA mode (as opposed to FTX Global/hybrid mode).. slightly better but it shows up still.. fail.

Everyone's input at least confirms its not something i have installed causing an issue, thankfully..

I know the blurries seem to go away if i disable PNW.. but i've yet to test this while leaving Northern CA active to see if that region suffers blurries as well.

Combine North Cal with San fran scenery from aerosoft and i'm going from say 48+ fps then dipping as nearing san fran, to near big buildings 19-25 (with slight haze in area).. 

And in PNW, that extra 7-10 fps is key when throwing weather in there, especially on 3 24" screens.

Setting fps to 20 didnt seem to help with the blurries at all (vsync set to on in P3d).

EDIT: retested in the fsmark bombardier 700 in FTX CA and i dont seem to notice much in the way of blurries at 5.5 LOD (PNW is unchecked, whether its unchecked or checked there are only some minor delays on scenery loading/blurries, apparent by hitting pause here and there) (same LOD as i had had set previously, but blurries far worse in the Seattle region with PNW enabled)   Hopefully future patches will improve performance, particularly with the blurry issue in PNW region (seattle at least).

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Yes, same issues here.

Don't know what happened in v2.2 Prepar3D and FTX - As great as both softwares' are, they are just fps killers together - and that's with a very hi-end pc...

What I feel is the most alarming, neither LM or FTX are saying a word about this issue?  Go figure

Tom

neither LM or FTX are saying a word

Totally agree with you, except that I'm not sure what there is for LM to say about OrbX making somewhat "bloated" 3rd party scenery...haha.

Looks nice, but really kills the "fun" when performance is so awful.

Honestly I get ridiculously wonderful performance on very high graphics settings....when OrbX is not involved...  :-(

Does this mean "unchecked" within P3D in the Scenery Library?

Thanks

PNW Seattle is basically unplayable for me unless Scenery Complexity is Very Sparse or Sparse. Scenery Complexity seems to be the hardest FPS hitter. Big cities with custom scenery and large airports always bring my computer to it's knees. I know I don't have the fastest CPU in the world (shock, it's not overclocked!) but the hit I get seems unreasonable. This has always been an issue (even in FSX), but in P3D with Orbx the problem is far more pronounced.

I don't think this is necessarily an Orbx issue, but rather an engine issue. I could be wrong though.

I thought my blurries were better in NA mode (as opposed to FTX Global/hybrid mode).. slightly better but it shows up still.. fail.

Everyone's input at least confirms its not something i have installed causing an issue, thankfully..

I know the blurries seem to go away if i disable PNW.. but i've yet to test this while leaving Northern CA active to see if that region suffers blurries as well.

Combine North Cal with San fran scenery from aerosoft and i'm going from say 48+ fps then dipping as nearing san fran, to near big buildings 19-25 (with slight haze in area)..

And in PNW, that extra 7-10 fps is key when throwing weather in there, especially on 3 24" screens.

Setting fps to 20 didnt seem to help with the blurries at all (vsync set to on in P3d).

EDIT: retested in the fsmark bombardier 700 in FTX CA and i dont seem to notice much in the way of blurries at 5.5 LOD (PNW is unchecked, whether its unchecked or checked there are only some minor delays on scenery loading/blurries, apparent by hitting pause here and there) (same LOD as i had had set previously, but blurries far worse in the Seattle region with PNW enabled) Hopefully future patches will improve performance, particularly with the blurry issue in PNW region (seattle at least).

How does one determine the LOD to use?

Like I notice some set it up to 9.5 manually in the CFG file

Does this mean "unchecked" within P3D in the Scenery Library?

Thanks

Yeah, using SceneryConfigEditor i uncheck the 4 or so entries for PNW.

How does one determine the LOD to use?

Like I notice some set it up to 9.5 manually in the CFG file

I tried for higher LOD on my system.. around 6.5.. and at times this was causing out of memory errors.. so i scaled back to 5.5.  I didnt have much drop in FPS by going to 6.5 though, maybe 0.5 - 1 fps at best (drop).

Thanks in advance..

Hi,

You and I have essentially the same hardware.  I think the problem comes from an expectation of thinking you have to continue to have excellent performance no matter what you add in the way of scenery and of course that's just not possible.  You know this I know, but really it's no wonder FTX regions are harder to process than non-regional scenery, especially when you throw in something like the Seattle area.  

I use both PNW & NCA and they both work fabulously, however I'm deliberate in how I use them.  I also have Global installed.   When I'm doing a flight out of a dense metro area on the west coast using tube liners, I just disable Hybrid mode and go Global only.   For starters, you're up in the air quickly and in short order the added scenery complexity in the regional areas like PNW/NCA is pretty much not relevant anyway, so Global only is perfect for this.  You can safely enable 3rd party airports using Global only as well, so that fits well w/ using tube liners out of larger terminals.  When flying light aircraft (favs for P3D are RA Turbine Duke & RA Lancair) out of smaller airports then performance is fabulous in the FTX regions.   One nice discovery for me w/ my SB-E and this would work for you would be AffinityMask=4094.   This AM value works very well for amping up texture loading rates.  I have crystal clear image quality always using maxed terrain sliders.  I keep autogen at Dense or Very High, vegetation at Very High.  Cloud shadows are their own issue though as we've all discovered.   When cloud density is high, and esp at dawn/dusk, performance can tank, regardless of the scenery complexity at times, though made worse by high density.

So try using P3D as two distinctly separate simulators--one w/ Global only for flying the big birds from dense metro areas, and turn on FTX regions for your more rural  & VFR light aircraft flights.  An exception to this is the CS MD80 which, despite being a fairly complex bird, gets exceptional performance.  I can fly in and out of NCA larger terminals and do fairly well, w/ frames in the low to mid 20's for example at FB's KSFO in NCA region.

Again, 4094 is a sweet AM for hexacore. 

.. .What I really don't get is that my VRAM is never getting higher than about 2.5gb, and my GPU usage is never more than about 70% and my CPU, no problems there from what I can see.....

This happened w/ the method LM used to help w/ VAS depletion.  In 2.1 or 2.0 I would see nearly all of my 6Gb of VRAM being utilized, but now rarely above 2Gb.   VAS impact is certainly greatly improved so it's fine, but I am hoping they can somehow exploit larger VRAM capacity at some point.  I've mentioned it to LM.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

So is it true that FTX sceneries pose a greater performance hit in Prepar3D 2.2 compared to FSX?

Go figure

Thanks in advance..

Apologize for going a little off topic but just wanted to pass on a friendly reminder that we have changed our signature policy again and we are kindly asking everyone to please put their system specs and flight sim information in their respective "My Profile". More details can be found at the following link - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/436632-new-signature-rules or under the Forums tab above. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10