Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Prepar3D 2.x + FTX PNW v1.8 -drop 7-10 fps and blurries with Hybrid?

One nice discovery for me w/ my SB-E and this would work for you would be AffinityMask=4094

Have a good Affinity Mask # I could try for Ivy Bridge E (i7 4930k)?

I've seen all the AM calculators, but then I see people trying numbers that aren't created by any calculators and the whole thing is over my head...

Have a good Affinity Mask # I could try for Ivy Bridge E (i7 4930k)?

I've seen all the AM calculators, but then I see people trying numbers that aren't created by any calculators and the whole thing is over my head...

It's pretty straightforward really, at least the theoretical explanation.  Folks trying random AM's on a trial and error basis, well hard to comment on the logic behind some of them I agree.  In case you don't know the simple theory:

P3D/FSX both are hard-coded (I hope this is correct, I know it used to be!) to utilize Core1 (not Core0) for the 'main thread', i.e. fsx.exe or prepar3D.exe (or p3d.exe, whichever is the main executable).  Along came some revisions in FSX and presumably they were inherited w/ P3D, so that in multicore environments the other cores could be utilized by the 'texture loaders'.  So each physical core or virtual core (i.e., HT enabled) can be tapped by the sim to help load scenery textures while the main thread does what it needs to do to run the sim.

If you open your Windows 7 calculator, choose Programmer Mode, and click the decimal (dec) radial button and type in 4094, then click the binary button, you will see this conversion:

Each virtual core is represented by a digit, but in reverse order.   The lone 0 at the end is Core/Thread0, and with this AM value P3D or FSX will not utilize this core/thread.   Other apps you might have running can be forced to use only Core/Thread0, which is what I do w/ REX4 and Media Player (used to run liveatc.net feeds)  

The '1' to the left of the 0 will be what the sim uses for the main thread, so we will designate that one as Core/Thread1.  The other 10 1's will all be available for texture loading, to help reduce blurred textures.  Indeed--works exquisitely well on this machine.   I know I have best ever total performance w/ 4094.  Has to be very useful to have 10 separate threads handling texture loading.

Your IB-E is the same as my SB-E in terms of AM's, and as well they have virtually identical performance.  My SB-E clocks easily at 1.295v to 4.325Ghz, and maintains temps generally under 66C w/ HT enabled.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

So is it true that FTX sceneries pose a greater performance hit in Prepar3D 2.2 compared to FSX?

They are within a few frames for me (FSX being slightly ahead) whether flying over urban or rural, but my P3D set-up has much more going on graphically, with volumetric fog, HDR and cloud shadows, so I would expect to see lower frame rates. This is running Global base only and regions.

It's pretty straightforward really, at least the theoretical explanation.  Folks trying random AM's on a trial and error basis, well hard to comment on the logic behind some of them I agree.  In case you don't know the simple theory:

P3D/FSX both are hard-coded (I hope this is correct, I know it used to be!) to utilize Core1 (not Core0) for the 'main thread', i.e. fsx.exe or prepar3D.exe (or p3d.exe, whichever is the main executable).  Along came some revisions in FSX and presumably they were inherited w/ P3D, so that in multicore environments the other cores could be utilized by the 'texture loaders'.  So each physical core or virtual core (i.e., HT enabled) can be tapped by the sim to help load scenery textures while the main thread does what it needs to do to run the sim.

If you open your Windows 7 calculator, choose Programmer Mode, and click the decimal (dec) radial button and type in 4094, then click the binary button, you will see this conversion:

Each virtual core is represented by a digit, but in reverse order.   The lone 0 at the end is Core/Thread0, and with this AM value P3D or FSX will not utilize this core/thread.   Other apps you might have running can be forced to use only Core/Thread0, which is what I do w/ REX4 and Media Player (used to run liveatc.net feeds)  

The '1' to the left of the 0 will be what the sim uses for the main thread, so we will designate that one as Core/Thread1.  The other 10 1's will all be available for texture loading, to help reduce blurred textures.  Indeed--works exquisitely well on this machine.   I know I have best ever total performance w/ 4094.  Has to be very useful to have 10 separate threads handling texture loading.

Your IB-E is the same as my SB-E in terms of AM's, and as well they have virtually identical performance.  My SB-E clocks easily at 1.295v to 4.325Ghz, and maintains temps generally under 66C w/ HT enabled.

Noel, I think I am finally understanding the AM.  So if I have a 4770K with Hyperthreading on (I know this because Windows Task managers shows 8 CORES) then it seems I would want the following AM setting:

11111110  (which I believe translates to 254). This would allow cores 1-7 to do texture loading with core 0 opened to tasks.  Does this sound right or am I missing the boat?

Also, what is your theory on how to implement AM?  Task manager or .cfg file or both?  Is there anything else i need to change (do I have to input the binary digits anyhwere) or do I simply need to implement the AM?

-Phil

11111110  (which I believe translates to 254). This would allow cores 1-7 to do texture loading with core 0 opened to tasks.  Does this sound right or am I missing the boat?

Also, what is your theory on how to implement AM?  Task manager or .cfg file or both?  Is there anything else i need to change (do I have to input the binary digits anyhwere) or do I simply need to implement the AM?

Yes, I agree 254 would do for quad core w/ HT enabled what 4094 does for hexacore w/ HT enabled.  The main thread for you will be Core1, and 2-7 become the texture loaders.  I am more and more convinced this approach gets the best results for sure in terms of everything, but especially texture loading, w/ no penalty by putting the main thread on one virtual core versus one physical core.  

If you use the AffinityMask setting in prepar3D.cfg, then you will see when you open TM after p3d launches the .exe will show the first box (Core/Thread0) unchecked (it's been masked from P3D using it), and will be available for whatever you assign it to do.  So no need other than curiosity to see how it works to open TM to change what the JOBSCHEDULER does thru p3D.cfg--i.e., it does what it's supposed to do.  Most Windows apps I think will default to all cores, but you can override each/any and have them run on Core0, or virtual Core0 as the HT case will be.  There is so little going on in the OS in general compared to P3d running that I think it's fine to leave everything but perhaps something that might interfere more than general background OS tasks.   This is why I assign Core0 to REX4 and media player.  It may or may not help there--there is actually ample headroom in the texture loader cores so one could assign these and other running apps to anything EXCEPT virtual Core1 and probably notice no difference.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Yes, I agree 254 would do for quad core w/ HT enabled

What about a quad core with HT disabled?

What about a quad core with HT disabled?

14 if you want to keep Core0 out of P3D/FSX, 15 if you want to let the sim run on all 4 cores.  I ran FSX for years on 14 w/ a Q9650.  I think in keeping w/ making as many cores available as possible I'd still think 254 or 255 w/ HT enabled would be preferred, but I haven't tried it personally.

Noel

Yes, I agree 254 would do for quad core w/ HT enabled what 4094 does for hexacore w/ HT enabled.  The main thread for you will be Core1, and 2-7 become the texture loaders.  I am more and more convinced this approach gets the best results for sure in terms of everything, but especially texture loading, w/ no penalty by putting the main thread on one virtual core versus one physical core.  

If you use the AffinityMask setting in prepar3D.cfg, then you will see when you open TM after p3d launches the .exe will show the first box (Core/Thread0) unchecked (it's been masked from P3D using it), and will be available for whatever you assign it to do.  So no need other than curiosity to see how it works to open TM to change what the JOBSCHEDULER does thru p3D.cfg--i.e., it does what it's supposed to do.  Most Windows apps I think will default to all cores, but you can override each/any and have them run on Core0, or virtual Core0 as the HT case will be.  There is so little going on in the OS in general compared to P3d running that I think it's fine to leave everything but perhaps something that might interfere more than general background OS tasks.   This is why I assign Core0 to REX4 and media player.  It may or may not help there--there is actually ample headroom in the texture loader cores so one could assign these and other running apps to anything EXCEPT virtual Core1 and probably notice no difference.  

Unfortunately at least with my rig, 4094 wasnt much help.. actually decreased the frame rate during my test by 1.8 fps.. i have left it at 1364.. i've tried quite a few of the other variations, all without any success.. i run HT with 12 logical cores on the 4930k (i also tried 62 and setting via msconfig to be only 6 logical cores).. nothing really cured stutters in this area..

What i just found out however, was the following..

I used Scenery Config Editor.. I unchecked ALL addons, which includes FTX related addons.. then i turned on just PNW and the required base files, along with FTXg and Vector..

It was very smooth.. average of around 33 fps in the fsmark07 45 second fraps test.. stuttering is usually worst right at the 48 second mark actually, after veering away from the "golf course".. i hit mins of around 19 there on a bad one.. this time my min was 24..  (This 33 fps avg gets up around 43-44 if i turn off PNW and vector)  (all these are done in hybrid mode checked off)

I also did NOT get blurries, this was while PNW was still checked too (and again all other 3rd party addons were off).

So for me at least, some other addon of the many i have installed is causing the increase in stuttering.. now i just need to fine tune if it is an FTX one, or another 3rd party.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking: