Sign in to follow this  
N1G

Only if the rest of the xp virtual world looked like the demo areas

Maybe one day.

Bob

From what I have seen for general scenery texture/landclass, it does not really compare to the demo areas. I am somewhat impressed with some of the airport addons but not the autogen scenery.

Bob

With the amount of freeware scenery available, you can really transform this sim with scenery completely available for free. Europe is very well covered by Simheaven, and HD Mesh v2 offers an upgrade to the default scenery as well. 

I did not know that the v2 Mesh also contained art assets. Are there any U.S. scenery images with before and after shots to compare?

Bob

I did not know that the v2 Mesh also contained art assets

It doesn't AFAIK, it just improves on the default scenery by adding autogen more correctly in places where there should actually be buildings, so areas will have better/denser autogen with the HD Mesh v2, similar to Seattle.

OK so it is more of a landclass fix rather than an autogen objects improvement. I did not see on their site a mention of landclass but I did not read everything. It seemed to me that it was similar to UTX for FSX where you had more accurate coastlines, lakes rivers etc, plus of course a more refined mesh.

Bob

OK so it is more of a landclass fix rather than an autogen objects improvement

Bob, have a read through when you get the time http://forum.avsim.net/topic/442361-scenery-and-hd-mesh-v2-qa-with-andras-fabian-alpilotx/

It's an interview I did with the developer of HD Mesh v2, where he explains pretty much what it is, what it improves etc..

HD Mesh v2 is great, but autogen definitely needs more variety and texture versions.

I'm absolutely exhausted with seeing the same "apartment tower" all over the planet.

I'm absolutely exhausted with seeing the same "apartment tower" all over the planet.

The Europe Library http://simheaven.com/?page_id=14 will change the autogen in Europe to more European styled buildings. I'm surprised people haven't yet worked on other autogen art packs for other areas as well

OK so it is more of a landclass fix rather than an autogen objects improvement. I did not see on their site a mention of landclass but I did not read everything. It seemed to me that it was similar to UTX for FSX where you had more accurate coastlines, lakes rivers etc, plus of course a more refined mesh.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Did you really read (and no, there is no "their" ... its just on person) the detailed list of changes? I hoped that it gives a quite good and detailed description of what is changed (in comparison to default Global Scenery). You might either read the interview Tony has linked, or just re-read the "intro" on my website:

But one thing is correct: there isn't any new / different artwork shipping in HD Mesh Scenery v2  .... well almost ^_^  ... Indirectly it uses a few new textures/terrains which shipped with XP 10.25 (which are NOT used by default Global Scenery, as that data was not updated, and does not know about the few, new terrain types). This is possible. because I a (just like Albert, the texture guy)  have a foot inside of Laminar, and can have them add new terrain types via updates (which the default Global Scenery can use one day too - when it gets a re-cut).

Thanks all for the input and enthusiasm. I will look through the descriptions and the interview. I truly hope the community continues to move forward with the sim.

Bob