Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

When can LESS, actually become...MORE? Well..read on...

A story about a man, named Jed

---------------------------------------------------------------------

SimHeaven OSM.  Love it...always have, always have run with it...right up to this morning in .30b1 

I always appreciate the hard work, and generousness of the community members!

Now..the rest of the story...(bear with me.....)

Every so often, I roam around the SimHeaven site to see what new OSM (updated, ect) goodies are there, and saw that Heaven had updated the OSM files (North America, Europe, etc) with an added 20 percent content.  Ok....so I downloaded and replaced the prior set that was downloaded er...about maybe 6 weeks ago.

Ok.....

Well...I fired up my XPX.30b1...and as soon as the plane (Bonanza (Carenado)) was sitting at the FBO...my normal 30 FPS went into the toilet to 6 FPS.   

Ok......

No other adjustments to the sim, WHATSOEVER, that was prior to the latest OSM install...giving me a steady creamery-smooth 30 FPS.

Ok.....

So, I rebooted my system to clean up any driver/shader...blah, blah issue...and fired up as soon as the Desktop appeared...XPX

Ok.....

6 FPS...and deadly bad performance.   (rubbing chin....)

Ok......

I removed all the downloaded SimHeaven OSM folders,  removed their reference in the Scenery .cfg file, and once more for safe measure, rebooted the entire system.

Ok....

I then (remember...did no changes to pre and post of installing the latest OSM files....)  fired up XPX.30b1 and was once more back at a smooth, rock-solid 30 FPS.   WHEW!

Ok.....

I then (now that I did not have any custom OSM scenery files within the sim...wondered that (in hindsight...) I probably never did see just what .30b1 came with, as I was preempting it with the custom OSM files.

Ok......

I then  (NOT BAD...NOT BAD AT ALL!!!) saw that truly there was. a major change to the look of the sim from .25 to .30......so being that I thought , with now, even more FPS headroom to play with...started taking up EVERYTHING...each mask, each feature, one level, by one...and then observing the XPX.30b1 'world', then going back and observing the view, and so on.  H.S.!  What I found...is that if you remove all added OSM content...and then by doing so...are getting FPS headroom....and then you crank up the sim (in my case..it is now visually full-flat-out except for REZ at VERY HIGH..and anything that can be clicked as 'on'...is not only in play...but at the highest setting...including now, even SkyMax Pro AND....God Rays is freakin' fantastic  .30b1 with its own in-house OSM data is a heavy-weight on its own merit  :)))))))

Ok.......so.....

Folks...you probably are NOT seeing the best, the most spectacular visual rendering of XPX.30b1, unless you can crank this GORGEOUS sim...to as high as you can sustain at least 22-25 FPS continuous.

What I am trying to convey...is that by removing all custom OSM files...and its take/drag on the system to render it in FPS...and by having removed all custom....am seeing just what OSM data COMES with .30b1...THERE IS PRACTICALLY NO DIFFERENCE in the amount of roads etc..but performance is right there....and truly,.....you have no idea of what you are missing out on...by having the sim 'cut down'.....in either REZ, levels, or the roads, trees, objects (especially the Objects!!!!).  The sim...at flat out, or as your system will allow...is so realistic...simply a CRIME, if you are dumbing it down, to get something else you added in on top of it, JUST...JUST  to run with FPS that can go  smoothly.

You owe it (trust me on this!) to yourself to remove EVERY instance of custom OSM from any source, not source specific here, (this is a big..big FPS drag on the system)  and I mean it....the normal 'custom' OSM, or the W2XP versions...and then...after a reboot...see what your FPS threshold is...and START to bring the sim 'alive and online' through raising all the feature sets, that YOU COULD NOT RUN WITH.....prior...and sit back..and split a smile, a mile wider than the Grand Canyon.   What I am saying in a nutshell...is that Laminar has done some very special magic with stock XPX.30b1..and you might find that  you just don't need to pile in added content to 'make it look good'...and, unless you have removed it all....you really DO NOT KNOW what XPX.30b1 even looks like at the higher, or even better, the highest graphic settings..INCLUDING higher cloud rendering and atmospherics.

Now..I'm not going to try and convince you that it can be an even better real-world visual experience with just the OSM that comes with XPX.30b1...but with much more elevated visual content, sim-wide...or if you have a system as mine..or even more recent....have the sim FULL OUT...at VERY HIGH for your resolution setting.....you most likely, (of course not all...not all) will come back here...and add to this thread...of what the XPX.30b1 WORLD now looks like. Better, and greater land-class shown, farms and fields that actually LOOK like they pan out....rivers, lakes, roadways...all in max detail...and my gawd...but this sim, full out, or nearly so...is something that I had NOT SEEN, or even truly was aware it could render...why?....because I had loaded it up with so much added rendering 'ballast'...THINKING that THAT would give me premium content.  I'm here to tell you that THAT...is not the case.

Not..the case at all....   You can try this..or simply do nothing.  Your choice.  But I can guarantee that anyone that has items (like added content OSM files that produce a burden) that force you to dumb down the sim visual rendering features...is not getting the premium suspended belief running of this gorgeous sim.  Nope...you are NOT.  I'd rather have greater content, in the visual whole, than whether there is a church or town hall (lego) , whatever.  Final thought....I run with UrbanMax...and did not even KNOW, how good it looks at its higher graphic settings...including the stock auto-gen streets that are superimposed over it, and now LOOK like villages and cities....:)))))))

Bottom line...unless you free up FPS performance so as to run this sim at full-out...or as high as you can take it, OSM- and object-stock...YOU WILL NEVER SEE IT!    It will be hidden from you, and most likely...as long as you own the thing.....

All custom, freeware OSM data files are great...but, I think you owe it to yourself to see how .30b1 runs and looks with its own onboard OSM data..which will allow you run the sim platform-wide..at a higher visual setting.  Your choice as always.  I found this out, only by accident. If I did not have such bad performance to prompt me to delete all OSM custom folders..I never would have seen just how fabulous, is LM's offering, Vanilla, but at visually magnified settings.

Happy Flying, no matter how you run it....

Mitch'er 

• Upvote 2

I just came back here (paused in a dusk flight...) to tell you that UrbanMax was obviously created to be seen with REZ at Very High, or Extreme, and NUMBER OF OBJECTS, at a setting of Extreme.

See for yourself...and my sim is STILL putting out 25-29 FPS!

It is gorgeous...and no added (my choice of course) OSM content is needed to make it as virtually real as it is now...simply beautiful to fly over!).

The sim now is in lock down...and no further touching of the settings...lock-down and fly it will be from now on...:)

"Ah....Life is good...".

Mitch'er

Post Edit:

OMG!  I am so seriously excited...with taking a lot of baggage out..and cleaning up XPX.30b1...and really SEEING it....

I will tell you all, and no world of a lie,  XPX.30b1' graphics at the highest levels  OBJECTS at extreme, etc...  Resolution at Very High (my setting) or higher perhaps...is EQUAL to what can be seen practically with Obrx Global.  It is that good.   XPX.30b1 is marvelous...WOW! :)))))

I am in flight going over the Thousand Islands on the St.Lawrence River,...heading towards the Province of Quebec tonight...and XPX.30b1 makes the St Lawrence River (at the highest sim settings...) REAL.  Absolutely...real...by having less settings, you do NOT see the sharp and well defined riverbanks..and how the river flows throughout the terrain.  If you can't run (because of what you have added in...) this sim at 98 percent full out...then you are not seeing it.  Pity....for it is that good...

Back to the flight...  "Hey...Orbx...if you get on board and give us Global...I'll buy it...but if you sit it out...guess what...no matter...for I sure as heck can live with what is now happening on my monitor. I SURE can.....  Your choice, Orbx...step into the XPX arena and find another way into my wallet...or do what you seem to be doing...sitting on the side....LR is taking up your slack...and the graphics (fully rendered...) tells me so...   Life...is good."

And how is the "middle ground"? I mean, if I am not entirely wrong, then using "HD Vanilla" :lol:  might be a quite good mixture ... getting all the goodies of more up to date OSM data (you know all the "Gory" detailss), while still relying on the "standard" visuals and not loosing too much FPS ...

And how is the "middle ground"? I mean, if I am not entirely wrong, then using "HD Vanilla" :lol:  might be a quite good mixture ... getting all the goodies of more up to date OSM data (you know all the "Gory" detailss), while still relying on the "standard" visuals and not loosing too much FPS ...

Alpilotx....your HD Mesh is right in there, let me assure you!

THANK YOU...SO VERY, VERY much...and running inside my new XPX.30 (Near Montreal on final...) like a 30 FPS plus-champ!   If I could create a video...and upload it to YouTube...and people could see what my view out the front of the cockpit is...coming into Montreal at Dusk..with 30 plus frames, and XPX.30b1 opened right up....they'd have  a stroke, sitting right there, in front of their monitors,and....AND...I'd want 10 percent from LR...for with that video...I'd sell one million copies that night....HAND'S DOWN.   H.S......is XPX.30b1 with your HD Mesh 2...beyond words. This is the sim that will (I never thought so...) take me away from any other platform...and only since cleaning .30b1 up...and letting it run wild....OMG!

BTW...your HD Mesh v2?   Doesn't even put a DENT in the FPS....it is OSM that beats it down...not your mesh.  I know...I am living tonight the Uber Simmer's Dream....and that is: XPX.30b1 on its own OSM merits....WOW.  Well, the plane can't stay suspended in mid-air on the approach into the most beautiful, and  cosmopolitan city of Montreal, Canada....so...I'm off to the final-races...and folks, I hope you take what I said in this post to heart...for you have NO IDEA of what the XPlane franchise has become...when the sim is let loose, and flexes it spectacular muscles...  If it is dumbed down...so is your payout...and satisfaction.  That...is a no brainer.

Remember LR...If I can figure a way to post a quality video of your XPX.30b1 on my system, as set...YOU will OWE me ten percent of the following sales!!!!    That is a fact, and not at all....negotiable, lol!

Good night all,

One h*ll of a most Happy Camper.  

Let me see if I can get the idea...

What you're saying Mitch is that if we use just the default scenery in 10.30 b1, and push the rendering options higher, we will be able to get acceptable performance from the sim, 

Then, the **only** scenery add-on would be Andras HD Mesh V2, correct?  We would place Andras' Mesh in the Custom Scenery folder and nothing else.

Is this it?

Ah, and what about SkyMaxx Pro v2?  Do you also have it enabled?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I use default mesh in 10.30 and it looks great with high FPS from my new PC. I'm too lazy to download Alpilotx's Mesh :)

Let me see if I can get the idea...

What you're saying Mitch is that if we use just the default scenery in 10.30 b1, and push the rendering options higher, we will be able to get acceptable performance from the sim, 

Then, the **only** scenery add-on would be Andras HD Mesh V2, correct?  We would place Andras' Mesh in the Custom Scenery folder and nothing else.

Is this it?

Ah, and what about SkyMaxx Pro v2?  Do you also have it enabled?

My gawd...Jcomm...I am delirious tonight....this sim is giving me everything I could ever hope for...deadly smoothness...22-29 FPS, never lower..OMG!

Here is the deal.  You ONLY have take out any custom folder that has to do with OSM...get RID OF IT!   You will use the land-class and graphics built into .30b1.  That is the only thing I did.  I have the sim LOADED to the brim with all my custom airports...and yes...SkyMax Pro (latest edition 1.3.3) and UrbanMaxx is also in full swing.  But...BUT...all running fully cranked out. I have SkyMax Pro giving me sky...by the bucket fulls  (gawd..I am soooooooooooo happy tonight!) and UrbanMax with OBJECTS set to Extreme and REZ set to Very High, is WOWZER!  There are fantastic fully-realized sub-divisions and neighborhoods fully developed with tree-lined streets below my wing.  H.S.!

Yes...just take out all CUSTOM OSM...and keep the rest as you like it.  No FPS impact with any custom airport...no FPS impact with HD Mesh V2.   You should see how good this sim looks full-bore fury....ORBX GLOBAL...baby...ORBX GLOBAL!    I just took off out of Montreal Dusk letting into Night,......and Jcomm...breathtaking...but...with those naughty two files that I ah..er...mentioned....oh yeah!

Cheers!  Life is GOOD!

I use default mesh in 10.30 and it looks great with high FPS from my new PC. I'm too lazy to download Alpilotx's Mesh :)

You are missing out....missing...OUT.....take the time.  It is worth it....

It won't kill your FPS...not by my system-experience.  

Skymaxx v2 is out?

I think jcomm meant 1.3.3  That is what I am running with...and flat full out!  God Rays never looked so good at 29 FPS on climb-out.....

I see I see. I'm confused with the osm thing though. I use osm with autogen. So what am I to delete? In which folders?

And won't I loose the roads in the UK etc....?

Here is the deal.  You ONLY have take out any custom folder that has to do with OSM...get RID OF IT!

Depending on the area, OSM can be super heavy on frame rates, or in some case perform better than autogen. In fact, I often get better performance using OSM sceneries than I do using the autogen. I get pretty bad performance in KSEA for example using the default scenery, but get acceptable performance using an OSM scenery in Germany.

I see I see. I'm confused with the osm thing though. I use osm with autogen. So what am I to delete? In which folders?

If you are using HD Mesh v2, then you'll still have the roads from l think October/September last year. If you are using World2XPlane scenery which has the roads, then if you remove it, you'll lose the updated roads from that.

Just remove in total, ANY OSM content folders that you had to download to get...but.....don't delete them off of your system. Put them in a holding folder on your desktop..and then delete your Scenery.cfg file..it will build itself again.  Reboot your system..and then start exploring all the graphic options for a build up...to whatever will sustain about 18 FPS and upward.  That simple. If you don't like the effort...merely place all those folders back into your Scenery...and that is that. :)

Wow! It works! I am now maxed out at 30fps locked! With sky maxx pro maxed out too! Not one dip below 30fps! Infact it wants more but I'm 1/2 vsync locked... Stone me! This is incredible!!!

P.s this is also with the new efass weather injector running for xplane . Incredible stuff now!

Wow! It works! I am now maxed out at 30fps locked! With sky maxx pro maxed out too! Not one dip below 30fps! Infact it wants more but I'm 1/2 vsync locked... Stone me! This is incredible!!!

P.s this is also with the new efass weather injector running for xplane . Incredible stuff now!

Good flights to you...enjoy!

Mitch

You don't even have to move any folders, you can simply edit your scenery.cfg file and temporarily disable any custom scenery from loading by adding "disable" to the line. I'm not sure what the exact syntax is, it's been awhile, but this makes it a lot easier to disable custom scenery that you don't want loaded up. And I will try this tonight by disabling all custom OSM and maxing out my settings to see the difference 10.30b1 default makes.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU