Sign in to follow this  
FransCKes

Norton Internet Security and P3d2.2

This afternoon I was flying to Charlotte from Ottawa, and about two-thirds of the way there, NIS told me to terminate all programs because it had to deal with a medium security issue (without telling me what the problem was). OK, I did what it wanted and NIS proceeded to deal with the issue. When it was done, I looked at what it did. It had deleted the P3d executable because there weren't enough people using it and it was therefore considered iffy! Luckily, NIS allowed me to recover the file and declare that NIS was not to do this again. :rolleyes:

Frans

FWIW - in EVERY computer I have ever setup for any client or myself, the FIRST thing I do is completely remove ANY remnant of Norton (this in itself is a chore).

I know there are a lot of NS users out there but every consultant I know feels the same. The product puts hooks into your system that can cause you much more grief than good. The OP is a case in point - I have heard of many worse things happening.

I won't get into which security suite is better but I will categorically state that Norton is the worst in so many ways.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I won't get into which security suite is better but I will categorically state that Norton is the worst in so many ways.

Vic, I have to take a somewhat contrary position to yours. NORTON 360 SUCKS. Norton Internet Security runs fine on my system and has never done that which is described by Frans. I have been using Norton products since the day they were on BBS Shareware disks. That's goes back a way... It is really simple; when you wish to fly, just put NIS into sleep mode. I don't do that, as I have had a need to, but that will remove NIS as the potential cause of the issue.

I also know a lot of people who have had no problems with Norton, Tom. But I know more who have and it's usually a nightmare.

I will qualify a bit though - I "personally" have not checked any of the latest Norton offerings. Once burned, twice shy. Too many horror stories for me to risk - especially when there are more user friendly products around.

And, unless they've made some serious changes in recent years, sleep or disabling still leaves enough of a stub running to cause issues with flight simming.

Peter Norton developed some great utilities. I don't believe Symantec maintained that level of quality and user friendliness.

But, they do enjoy a big business so enough people like the product.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Vic, I have to take a somewhat contrary position to yours. NORTON 360 SUCKS. Norton Internet Security runs fine on my system and has never done that which is described by Frans. I have been using Norton products since the day they were on BBS Shareware disks. That's goes back a way... It is really simple; when you wish to fly, just put NIS into sleep mode. I don't do that, as I have had a need to, but that will remove NIS as the potential cause of the issue.

O.K. I use Norton360 on all my coputers and have yet to suffer an issue that I coundn't handle.

I have, however, no idea how much impact there is on the speed of my P3D2.2 (or FSX) since I can't disable it. I have not yet found a way to go to a "sleep mode" or to tell it that P3D or FSX (and all related files) are fine and do not need to be checked.

I would be greatful for a hint on how to achieve that!

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Confirmed user of Norton AV (NIS).  Never a problem, never a hitch in over 15 years.

People used to whine that Norton used "too many computer resources".  Some prolly still do.  Lemme tell ya, computers are now so strong that it's immaterial (ahh, that'll bring the howlers & screamers out full tilt :lol: ) 

There, I said it and I'm glad (LOL)

Why paying for AV if the Windows system has the protection for free?

Spirit

Why paying for AV if the Windows system has the protection for free?

Spirit

I'd suspect the Microsoft version works as well as FSX default wx and ATC.  IMHO

I have used Microsoft Security Essentials on  four  PCs,  totalling some 9 years of use.   I've had absolutely no problems and see no need to pay for AV.

I'd suspect the Microsoft version works as well as FSX default wx and ATC.  IMHO

I had never a problem with Windows on board AV and never a virus etc.

Spirit

Long time Norton user through FS9, FSX, and P3D. No issues here. The new versions of N360 run very nice with a much smaller system footprint. 

Just a follow-up. I flew a long flight (Ottawa to Acapulco) yesterday, after restoring p3d (as well as telling NIS not to do this again!). I had no problem, so I think the issue has gone away, at least for p3d. However, ASN and FS Commander may still be up for grabs, since NIS has the "Configure" command for "Program Exclusions" greyed out. Time will tell...

Frans

I haven't run an antivirus in over 10 years. Firewall properly configured thru the router; that's it. AV software companies continue to make their money from the unknowledgeable by using scare tactics, yet they fail to remedy most of the most destructive malware.

Keep docs/photos ect on a separate drive. Don't open suspicious links. Stay off of questionable sites. Dont click email links. Scan downloads with an external AV. Know when spamware is sending you a suspicious link and reset the browser. If its too much worry, use a seperate computer to do internet browsing & email on. AV is more of a hog on system requirements than a virus itself.

Use Norton 360 without problems.
Simply indicate the list of files that will be ignored by SONAR that scans in real time, ie Norton will not interfere with your game while playing.
Steps in Norton 360:
Settings> Antivirus> Scans and Risks> Items to be excluded Detection Auto-Protect, Download Insight and SONAR> Configure [+]
from this point simply add the folders where they are FSX, P3D ...
In, NAV and NIS process is virtually the same.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos