Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Is skymaxxpro and maxxfx needed anymore?

After upgrading to XP 10.30b1, I've notice the clouds and sky have look a whole lot better. Would you guys still recommend SkyMaxx Pro and MaxxFX anymore or won't it make much of a difference anymore now that we have improved and updated sky and clouds with the latest XP beta?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I personally still use and prefer Skymaxx Pro as I get far better frame rates with it, and think they look more realistic. Regarding MaxxFX, there's nothing like that in 10.30 to alter colours, so there's no reason to uninstall it (You can just switch it off if you don't want to use the effects).

tony, will those 2 addons work with the art control hack that I've seen so popular on here? Just want to make sure before I shell out the money.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

This is a tough one and highly subjective. John's clouds are wonderful and they look like they'll only get better. But you can't get shadows with them and the shadows add so much to the realism.

Don't know anything about MaxxFx but the atmosphere changes available with the art control hacks, especially the RealTerraHaze scripts are amazing. These can of course be used with SkyMaxx, just without the shadows.

For now I'm not using Skymaxx, but I do miss the clouds, and if ever a way is found to have them with shadows I'll be reinstalling it in a heartbeat.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I notice 10.30b1 has cloud shadows, did versions before this have them or is this new?

I notice 10.30b1 has cloud shadows, did versions before this have them or is this new?

Cloud shadows were there before but so subdued they were basically unnoticeable, you needed to tweak art controls to actually see them. I do believe that John is working on getting shadows to work for his add-on. He even had the clouds moving at one point. I'm looking forward to any development news from him...he's been awful quiet lately... :wink:

Sure hope John can get shadows in SkyMaxx.

The default clouds just bring my sim to its knees and this SkyMaxx actually allows me to use the sim and enjoy it!

I also use SkyMaxx, because of the much much better performance, and the overall look of the clouds.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

tony, will those 2 addons work with the art control hack that I've seen so popular on here? Just want to make sure before I shell out the money.

Yes, I use the art control hacks with both of these plugins. The only thing to add is that currently cloud shadows don't work with Skymaxx Pro (Although the developer John is looking at this), which maybe a show-stopper for some at the moment.

The default clouds just bring my sim to its knees and this SkyMaxx actually allows me to use the sim and enjoy it!

This is pretty much my main reason. With the default clouds, the sim becomes unflyable for me also, with Skymaxx Pro I can finally have realistic looking weather.

Guest Mik75

I use MaxxFX with custom settings on every flight, it's an essential tool for me. Since SkyMAXX Pro isn't able to cast cloud shadows (some deeper access to the SDK would be needed for that, maybe we'll see it one day), I use the default clouds.

On 10.30b2 and still prefer SkyMaxx to default clouds.  Default clouds are still a frame rate killer and are not as visually appealing imho.

Well, it looks like when I have XP10.30 stable, SkyMaxx is going to be a mandatory re-install...

EFASS on my list too.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Okay I finally bought skymaxx pro and maxxfx, clouds look really nice and performs so much better, however when its night time the clouds still appear white in the dark sky which looks unrealistic, and also has anyone heard from the developer that he will be making an updated version for XP 10.30 to introduce cloud shadows?

Where are the instructions and manual for this add-on, I didn't get it with my purchase. Would love to know how to know what settings do what, and etc. If we use this plug-in, can we turn the cloudpuffs under XP settings to 0%? I'm confused on that part. I currently have my cloudpuff set to 20% in game, but pretty much have everything in SkyMaxx Pro max'd out.

There is a link to the manual on the product page - here it is: http://www.x-aviation.com/landing.php?cid=6578447835

Clouds at night should be dark, but sometimes SkyMaxx Pro's cloud lighting is off by a few minutes relative to X-Plane's lighting. This can lead to things looking wrong near dawn and dusk. That's being worked on for the SkyMaxx Pro 2 release coming soon. Note also that SkyMaxx simulates moonlight, so if you're flying with a full moon the clouds will still be somewhat bright.

You may set your cloudpuffs to 0; that settting has no effect on SkyMaxx Pro.

There is nothing in the 10.30 SDK for X-Plane that allows add-on developers to create their own cloud shadows.

Probably best to take specific support questions to the forum at the site you purchased it from :)