Sign in to follow this  
qf11bd

Long Haul FPS

Hi,

I don't know if this is simply a limitation of FSX itself, or an issue with my system, but I've found that performance greatly suffers nearing the end of a long haul flight. For example, I just flew the LAX-AKL leg. 30fps stable at LAX, but on approach into Auckland my frames were dipping into the mid teens and low 20's. You can see my specs on the right, and I don't run a crap PC. Is there something wrong in my configuration of FSX? Or is this just an issue with the core program?

Many thanks in advance

I should probably add that I was using the PMDG 777.

By the time you reached Auckland, you were probably getting low on VAS ( Virtual Adress Space ) and performance does degrade when you get below about 600MB of free VAS.

What I do on a long haul, is about 50nm before TOD, I save the flight, and reload FSX, and load the saved flight.

All my extras  like EFB, FSReal Time, wideFS and FS Commander, ASN, my VA Acars are not effected at all, I just leave them be, and once the flight reloads, everything just carry's on.

You will land with about 1800MB of free VAS and good performance. The PMDG planes like the MD11, NGX and the T7  always load a saved flight very well, and once the count down has completed, it will continue the flight as normal.

I always save and load a saved flight in level flight, never during climb or decent, due to the countdown to initialize.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I'll have to give that a go. I've now migrated to DX10, so hopefully that will help with VAS. Just two queries (double checks really) though: your PIREP in ACARS won't be affected? And saving the flight in the default FSX save flight will also save the PMDG panel state?

Much appreciated

As to Acars, depends who the VA is. I belong to 4 VA's and support restarting a saved flight. Except one, BA Virtual

As long as I don't touch the Acars, it will continue. Some VA's like Fedex will save your flight for you every 5 mins, and is a great feature.

You will not lose your panel state in the T7 or NGX. As long as all you do is save and reload. It takes me 5 mins to re load my flight, which is nothing compared to losing a 15 hour flight. :P

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Panel state and FMS data (like the current route etc.) will be saved automatically with PMDG planes in FSX. They automatically reload when the flight gets reloaded. Works for the PMDG 747-400 (v1) and JS4100 also.

Is that TFDI smartCARS by any chance that allows a shut down and reconnect?

Is that TFDI smartCARS by any chance that allows a shut down and reconnect?

Yes, Skywards and AAVirtual, and I suppose any other VA that uses SmartCars.

You do have a time limit though for Acars, I would not go and make a cuppa between re starting FSX: Also, you don't need to re start windows.

As Olli mentioned the 747 and J41, I did not mention them as I have sent them to storage so to speak.

This is strange. I've been trialing things, and found VAS to not be my culprit. I'm currently 2hrs out from Melbourne with 2.4GB recorded VAS in Process Explorer (after 13hrs of flying from Los Angeles) - and frames jumping between 20-30. Why? Even if I have plenty of memory space left in FSX's operational limits?

Did you use any large fix page range rings for ETOPS alternates? On my last flight yesterday with the PMDG 777, after several hours, I was getting very poor performance when those rings were displayed on the ND. After removing them from the fix page, everything was fine again.

Oh really? Yes I was using ETOPS rings. That's interesting, I'll have to try that