Sign in to follow this  
Pete491

GNS 530 Data Base Update

Guys,

I have been searching for a way to update the 530 data base.  I did find a way on this forum to update to April 2010 using the 600 Trainer but would like to keep the data base more current.  I was searching today and found data base updates could be purchased at Mindstar GPS.  Is this compatable with the Reality GNS530?

Thanks!

Pete,

The RXP database can only be updated with official navdata from Garmin. Annual subscriptions are pricy but you may be able to purchase a single monthly update for a lot less. Others more familiar with those options can probably give you better information. You will read of some who have found a way to update the RXP GPS units by hacking the database from other Garmin trainers, but that is illegal. Don't do it. Unfortunately, the RealNav updates you alluded to are not compatible with RXP.

Cheers,

Todd

Thanks for the reply Todd.  I just finished some research on the Mindstar product and see that it dos not do LPV/LNAV approaches.  That's a deal breaker for me.  If they add that functionality I'll buy it.  An up to date data base is important to me.  The data base for the Reality 530 that I have is missing lots of STARS, SIDS, fixes.

I'll watch their site for updates.

Pete

Well I went ahead and bought the Mindstar unit a week ago thinking that having a data base that could be updated would be great and that the LPV/LNAV functionality would come later.  I immediately had an error with the install.  No big deal.  Stuff happens.  I checked the Mindstar web site saw no forum or any way to get support except via e-mail.  So I sent an e-mail describing my problem.  This was last Friday.  I had not had a response by Monday afternoon so I sent another e-mail.  No response two days later so I called the number listed.  Was told that the person answering that the tech guy that could help me was not answering the phone.  Ok, I left my name & number.  No response.  Called the next day and was told again that the person that was responsible for tech support could not be contacted.

Unbeleivable.  I sent an e-mail today asking for a refund.  Very dissapointing.

An update to this issue. Mindstar has contacted me and is going to set up a remote session to help me get the 530 installed.

Pete,

I understand the frustration, but do be patient. The Mindstar developers do care but they also are very busy. As a beta tester I know these guys pretty well, have visited with them in person, and even then I have sometimes had to wait a week to talk to them. It is not a large operation like some think and I know they do travel for work quite a bit.  They are quite busy, which is a good thing for them (and for us since they aren't going away any time soon). I think only 2-3 people are really involved with the G1000 and GNS projects. There are about half a dozen other large projects they work on that we in the flight sim community will never see or hear about (which is a bummer because it is awesome stuff, but I digress). I know WAAS is on the list of features to add, so it will happen. And you won't have to pay extra for it as every upgrade is free to licensed users. Also, your license is good for all ESP sim platforms, from FS9 to P3Dv2.  I'm glad you have a remote session scheduled. I think you'll be pleased.

Todd