Sign in to follow this  
christiaan

Super constellation beginner, altitude question

Downloaded from AVSIM the (Super) Constellations for FS9 & FSX.

Both are running fine.

However I do not know how to set/change the altitude when flying the Constellation aircraft.

Any suggestions for this Constellation beginner.

You mean set the altitude with the autopilot?

Depending on which addon you installed it may not have an altitude setting on it's autopilot.

In that case elevator(trim) and power will control altitude.

And if it has an autopilot altitude function it might be an "altitude hold" function where you manually climb to an altitude, level off and trim out, and then engage altitude hold to hold that altitude.  If that is the case then you will not have a numeric altitude setting, only a hold altitude toggle.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Both thanks for your replies,

I have made a screen shot of the panel.

I just do not know how to add the image  to my message as I do not have any of the websites like

Dropshot to use the image.

Hi,

The autopilot is an old one.  It has a "pitch wheel" at the left edge, and a "turn knob" in the middle.  Let's assume that you are flying with the AP off.

1.  Turn the AP ON using the power switch.  The AP will capture your current rate of climb or descent and hold that.  It will also put you into Heading Hold mode at the current heading.

2.  Click the bottom of the pitch wheel to increase your climb rate (or decrease your descent rate).  Each click is around 100 fpm, but it actually alters the pitch of your aircraft, not a set 100 fpm of vertical speed.  The top of the pitch wheel does the opposite.

3.  Once you have attained your desired cruise altitude, click the Altitude Hold switch and your aircraft will fly level at that altitude.  Ideally you should be at less than +/- 500 fpm before throwing the switch.

4.  To begin your descent, click the Altitude Hold switch OFF, and click the top of the pitch wheel to start your descent.  Click it repeatedly until you reach your desired descent rate.

5.  You can also turn the plane using Turn Knob.  Clicking the middle of the knob resets the knob to straight up.  The more you turn the knob, the more the plane banks.

6.  If you want to control the bank yourself, click the green power light and it will turn yellow.  Now you have manual control of bank.  Click it again to go back to heading hold.

Hope this helps,