Sign in to follow this  
rfresh737

New video tutorial series: "How To Fly A Perfect ILS"

I'm releasing my next video tutorials in my Basics Boot Camp Series called "How To Fly A Perfect ILS".

I've been contacted by several flight simmers asking for a video tutorial on how to fly a good ILS approach. They tell me speed is the number one problem for them when trying to fly an ILS. They are coming in to intercept the localizer too fast and they don't really know how that happens. In some cases they are coming in to intercept the localizer at 250 kts.

I hope these video tutorials solve those speed issues and perhaps, some other gray areas as well.

This ILS video project has turned out to be much bigger than I originally thought. Many of you have been emailing me asking "is it done yet?" "It is done yet?" Yes, I'm behind schedule but honestly, I have spent most of my time for the last 7 days creating, recording, editing and trying to finish up this ILS series. A lot of video re-recordings, a lot of video production editing, etc. My training standards are very high and all of this takes time to produce. But it's all worth it because I know all of the new flight simmers appreciate the end results.

Now that I have uploaded this information to this post, I am going to take a couple of days off and rest up before starting work on Part 4 of this ILS series!

So, back to the videos.

This is a multi-part video tutorial:

YouTube links are at the end of this post.

Part 1a - the Ground School basics on how to correctly set up for the ILS approach.

Part 1b - the Ground School basics on how to correctly set up for the ILS approach.

Part 2 - PMDG 737NGX simulator demo, flying a Boeing standard ILS.

Part 3 - PMDG 737NGX simulator demo, flying a non-standard ILS.

Part 4 - a bonus flying demo. I am releasing parts 1 through 3 now and I will be adding this part 4 flying demo over the next few days.

Note that the ground school Part 1 has been broken down into two parts: Part 1a and Part 1b. I thought I could do the ground school Part 1 video in one shot but it got kind of long, so I decided to split it into two parts.

I want to say a big thank you to my three helpers:

Spin737 (Matt Colles) made several suggestions on changes to reflect real world flying.

scandinavian13 (Kyle Rogers) checked the video for technical accuracy. Kyle thanks for your technical review. Everyone appreciates the depth and breathe of your experience on the 737NGX in this forum.

efmartin (Eric Martin) checked the draft video and made several suggestions for better clarity on some of the topics.

All of their suggestions were implemented.

This collaboration process helps to ensure that what you all see is technically correct and reflects what a real 737NGX pilot does when flying.

If you have any questions or comments after viewing these video tutorials, please PM me here or email me at the email address shown in the opening screen of the Part 1a ground school video.

I hope you all enjoy viewing these ILS video tutorials.

YouTube links:

Part 1b -

Part 4 Coming soon!

Many thanks Ralph! Your videos are excellent means to master the NGX.

Edmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Yes, I'm behind schedule but honestly, I have spent most of my time for the last 7 days creating, recording, editing and trying to finish up this ILS series. A lot of video re-recordings, a lot of video production editing, etc. My training standards are very high and all of this takes time to produce. But it's all worth it because I know all of the new flight simmers appreciate the end results.

I'll back this up, too.  I was passed one of the video proofs almost a week ago, and Ralph has been hard at work re-recording ever since.  The high standards, while they do add time to the mix, definitely pay off.

Sound familiar, relevant to the subforum this topic is actually in?  :wink:

scandinavian13 (Kyle Rogers) checked the video for technical accuracy. Kyle thanks for your technical review. Everyone appreciates the depth and breathe of your experience on the 737NGX in this forum.

Thanks for the invite, Ralph.  Definitely let me know if I can help with other topics!

Kyle Rodgers

Nicely done!

Just watched part 1a, and I think it very nice. Just two little notes: First, at 29:34 that's not localizer and glideslope pointers. That's NPS pointers, and LOC/GS pointers are diamond ones you presented correctly later at 35:15. Second, you mention that FMC will set LOC courses automatically. I believe that's "customer option" provided by PMDG, and can be turned off - so pilot have to set course manually into course windows.

Nicely done!

Just watched part 1a, and I think it very nice. Just two little notes: First, at 29:34 that's not localizer and glideslope pointers. That's NPS pointers, and LOC/GS pointers are diamond ones you presented correctly later at 35:15. Second, you mention that FMC will set LOC courses automatically. I believe that's "customer option" provided by PMDG, and can be turned off - so pilot have to set course manually into course windows.

Thank you for that correction. This is in reference to step #2. I find it odd that Boeing would have the LOC and GS pointer checks at this early stage in the approach (but they do in the FCTM). Many times I don't see the magenta diamond glide slope pointer until I'm well established on the inbound course (and well past step #2 in the ILS sequence).

Edited:

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but the only thing I can think of at this point, is that their ILS diagram with Step #2 having "LOC and GS pointers shown" must be a very generic ILS diagram. Meaning, that Boeing is assuming the aircraft is intercepting the localizer close in enough so that there will  be a LOC and GS needle showing. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Many times I don't see the magenta diamond glide slope pointer until I'm well established on the inbound course (and well past step #2 in the ILS sequence).

This is because FSX has the LOC/GS performance hard coded into the sim.  This isn't the case in the real world.  Localizers have different effective ranges.  IAD's as an example have an effective range of about 25nm (at least, that's about as far as the extents run on the controllers' displays, which means they can use them out that far).  CHO on the other hand, has a much lower power array, based on the extents shown on their scopes.

It's all really based on airport budgets and the equipment they pay for, and pay for the monitoring.  I'm sure you can receive IAD's a lot farther out, but controllers are only allowed to vector onto it as far out as the extents run, which is based on signal reliability (and strength, of course).

Kyle Rodgers

I think having LOC/GS diamonds displayed is one last check to make sure you're pointed in the right direction and the course is dialed in. If you're more than 180 degrees from the LOC course you have set, you won't get the GS displayed. Note: I said what you have set, not what the real course is.

If you have something other than the real final approach course in, you'll get some serious deviations.

Matt Cee

These first four videos are very good and it is easy to see the effort that was put into producing them. Thanks a lot.

Two questions

I have always dialed the course for the ILS in the course windows at the time I dial in the ILS frequency. I noticed that you did not dial in a course but the course in the windows changed to 257 from 012. How was the course entered?

I have read on the forums that some people only set the course and frequency on the Captains' side. Have you even tried this?

Thank you

If you have something other than the real final approach course in, you'll get some serious deviations.

As I understand (and tested in GA aircraft), if you fly raw data ILS/LOC, the CDI will show correct deviation even without correct course set. If you fly FD (and AP) ILS/LOC, CDI will still give you correct deviation, but FD steering bar would go crazy. I do not recommend to do this, because it can be misleading/disorienting but it works.

I have read on the forums that some people only set the course and frequency on the Captains' side. Have you even tried this?

If you do not want to fly multichannel approach /.autoland, you do not need both radios and courses set for ILS.

If you're more than 180 degrees from the LOC course you have set, you won't get the GS displayed

I'm sorry, I do not understand this, how I can be more than 180 degrees from LOC course I have set?

Spin737, on 30 May 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

If you're more than 180 degrees from the LOC course you have set, you won't get the GS displayed

I'm sorry, I do not understand this, how I can be more than 180 degrees from LOC course I have set?
Ha! That'd be a trick, wouldn't it? 90 degrees, not 180. Thanks.

Matt Cee

Ha! That'd be a trick, wouldn't it? 90 degrees, not 180. Thanks.

Honest mistake. I would probably jump to correct, but when I speak with RW 737 pilot I never know for sure. 

@Ralph:

Just watched the part 2 - standard ILS:

You again incorrectly presented NPS pointer.

Maybe KLAS is not the best choice for the ILS tutorial, it's a little bit advanced as G/S is captured in continuous descend, but at the other side, it emphasizes importance of energy management.

Other than that I would just add decision altitude, as I think it's important, but I understand the focus of this tutorial is something else.

This is honest observation, with no malicious intention. I think you did the great job and produced the great tutorial. 

@Matt, do, and when, you use APP mode of ND? I like it when I fly manually ILS, but in FCTM they suggest map mode.

These first four videos are very good and it is easy to see the effort that was put into producing them. Thanks a lot.

Two questions

I have always dialed the course for the ILS in the course windows at the time I dial in the ILS frequency. I noticed that you did not dial in a course but the course in the windows changed to 257 from 012. How was the course entered?

Thank you

Thank you for the kind words.

To answer your questions:

(1) I have SFX configured via the CDU to automatically enter the courses on both sides when I set an ILS frequency:

PMDG SETUP->OPTIONS->SIMULATION PAGE 2/3->SET SFX LOC CRS

When we fly the PMDG 737NGX, we do so as single pilots, therefore, any time I can get the simulator to 'help me out' and do something or set something, I usually allow it. I'm busy enough trying to fly single pilot and do the job of two pilots as it is  :lol:

(2) I never just set the Captains side. I always set the F/O's side too.

I don't use APP mode on the ND. If I was doing raw data in actual, maybe.

Matt Cee

@g_precentralis

Thank you for your comments. As I say often, I'm still learning the aircraft. I just missed the NPS situation.

KLAS is somewhat of a challenge and in fact, if you're configured to allow GS capture before LOC, that's the approach that will do that. I recorded that scenario in fact but I did not use it. I kept the recording of the GS capturing quickly right after LOC capture to show the new flight simmers that you must expect the unexpected and not panic or get too stressed out (as they have often told me they get). I thought it was a good compromise from a teaching perspective.

I was shooting a fail operational autoland so there was no DA/DH for me. It was Alert Height all the way.

Regarding the setting of the ILS course on both sides: It's just a very strong habit from my level D sim training days. We always instructed the student Captains and F/O's to set both sides. That was the standard for all the manufacturers I worked for (Lockheed, Douglas, Boeing) and the two major airlines. I guess for me at least, just setting on the Captains side would feel so strange to me, maybe like driving on the wrong side of the road lol.

I was shooting a fail operational autoland so there was no DA/DH for me. It was Alert Height all the way.

Yea, I see. I thought you are doing autoland on CAT I app as that's published on the chart, but in FSX that doesn't really matters.