Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Just Flight's DC-8

Does anybody who has the Just Flight DC-8 know where the Auto-Throttle switch/button is located  as per page 19 of the Manual, because when I tried the Tutorial, I could not find it on the throttle quadrant as that page states and shows it. Additionally, on page 15, it shows the AP status indicator, but I do not see it where it should be. Running the Performance Switcher tool to High Performance rather than High Detail. Also, on the AP quadrant, I should see the Alt Hold, and on the ASI, there should be a knob to pull that sets the Max Speed. Again, not seen on the DC-8-43.

So, any Just Flight DC-8 user, what am I doing wrong not to see these things as I cannot set the A/T, or the Alt Hld?

Please ignore above post as I have found the solution.

I've given up. This is typically JF stuff. Discovered in the 2nd manual  that all the points I had raised in my first post had in fact been removed to ensure realism. Okay, no problems with that.

But when I turn up the throttle and the aircraft does not accelerate down the runway, it is beyond a joke. Moreover, it has a mind oi its own when using my joystick to steer on the taxy-ways as it repeatedly pulls to one side.

Am uninstalling this nonsense and reverting to aircraft that are a pleasure to fly. Even the default Trike is better than this. More the fool me for buying this after reading the Review. I now know I will never ever buy any more JF stuff.

And before anybody gets in with a suggestion that I should post this in the JF Product Support Forum, I have done so but that only functions office hours.

Hi Rick,

We don't have a support forum but you can contact the support team here: http://www.justflight.com/support-contact (as you noted, the support team are available 9-5 GMT, Mon-Fri).

As you pointed out, the auto-throttle was removed from the DC-8 in a service pack following feedback from customers and real-world DC-8 pilots and engineers on the testing team. You should still be able to use the default FSX key commands to engage the auto-throttle.

Unfortunately I am not sure what could be causing the aircraft not to accelerate (not sure if you meant that no acceleration occurs?). Providing the engines are on, advancing the throttle levers to full thrust should produce a decent amount of acceleration on takeoff. Not quite as sprightly as a modern airliners, but based on the feedback from the real-world DC-8 pilots and engineers.

I haven't been able to reproduce the steering drift whilst taxying, but if you do decide to pursue the matter then please drop the support team a ticket and they'll try and find a solution.

Thanks

Martyn

Martyn - Just Flight

Hi Martyn

Many thanks for your response.

I have indeed posted this issue on your link but was informed that it was only a M-F monitored service, and am awaiting a response.

• Yes, when I push my MSFF2 Side Winder throttle forward full, which has worked for every single aircraft in my FSX hangar, I get absolutely zilch acceleration in the Tutorial Rwy 17R at the KDFW which is in fact an FSDT airport rather than the default FSX one.
  • I have to keep making constant adjustments to the MSFF2 joystick just to keep it centre-line and yet have no issues when using a larger aircraft like the PMDG 747-400 and 777-200LR.
  • I'd like to fly this aircraft but for the moment have uninstalled it and instead tried the Tri-Star L-1011 that I also purchased from JF, and flew that very same DC-8 Tutorial last night and had no throttle or steering issues with that, other than the OH panel textures not being the best available. I really enjoyed flying that plane.

Edit: Hi Oliver. Your suggestion came in just as I was drafting my reply.

Hi Rick,

I've had a quick look and can't see any outstanding support tickets for the DC-8. Could you drop an e-mail to support[at]justflight.com with the ticket number you were assigned? I can then ask one of the team to look into it for you.

Thanks

Martyn 

Martyn - Just Flight

Hi Martyn

I submitted that Support Ticket via your website(look under Mario) but did not recall making a note of the Ticket Number, but will try and have a go again. And it states at the bottom not to submit more than one ticket for same product. So, do I re-submit or what?

Just been there to check if there was any reply, and ended up downloading the Tr-Star updates instead.

Edit: Okay, have now received a Support Ticket number and an email reply to confirm. This I did not receive over the week-end as per your Office hours.

Now I'm remembering a very similar issue with the JF Tristar. Additionally, when I looked at the Tristar from the exterior view, the plane had vanished with only the nav lights etc. remaining.

A reinstall did the trick. Looked like some file corruption to me.

Rick, how was your DC-8 looking from the outside, before you uninstalled it?

Hi Oliver.Externally, no issues at all. All the relevant lights switched on, such a Beacon, Position/Nav Lights, taxi  nose light, showed up. The strobes did too at threshold switch on. That was with the Tutoria'sl United repaint.

Hi Martyn

I'm sorry to have to say this here, but your Product's Support may as well be non-existent for all the support I got from them today. They may as well have not bothered at all. And now I have your Tri-Star that behaves the exact opposite to the DC-8 after installing an Update. No issues with holding centre-line or full thrust acceleration off the runway. I just wish it would climb as its meant to instead of yo-yoing up, down, up, losing climb thrust, etc,etc. I've had enough of your company's products.This one is coming off too---for good. Thank heavens there other quality aircraft out there so as not to give up totally on FSX.

Lol, I thought I would give my DC-8 a spin yesterday evening - just to find out the installation was corrupt as well!

So I reinstalled the DC-8, found no issues after that: It taxied, accelerated all 'as advertised'.

For the Tristar autopilot, it seems to be in between 'rugged' and 'bugged'. JF have announced an advanced version of it, including "Improved autopilot functionality":

http://justflight.com/product/tristar-professional-download

Oliver, what would we simmers do without you,eh? You are 'Da Man'. Thanks for this. In between trying to fly the Tr-Star which was yo-yoing up one minute down one minute with that klaxon almost deafening me, and trying to figure why I could see no way to follow the FMC route, and making time for other less frustrating activities, I just decided enough was enough and wiped clean every JF plane from my hangar.

I'll give the re-install a try. And thanks for that link too.