Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tb4jy

Mid-air anyone?

I was wondering if anyone has had an honest mid-air with default AI traffic.What I mean is an honest unexpected mid-air that knocks you out of the sky. Sure I have had AI traffic take-off in front me that I followed and got too close that caused a mid-air crash. I didn't think I was that close but I still got knocked out of the sky.Yesterday I had one of those WOW moments in flight sim west of Chattanooga at 14000 ft heading south. I got the typical traffic callout from center, a 737 climbing out, and hit the "traffic insight" button out of habit to clear the message screen. I'm flying without the traffic tagged and have become accustomed to not seeing the traffic in the daylight or the traffic already behind me. I hit the "traffic insight" button while in the Navajo Panther VC. I then panned left to look out of the port cockpit window and saw the nose of a 737 heading right at me at 1/8 of mile and about 100 ft below. After saying sh*t I jumped to spot view to see what just missed me and couldn't find it right away. When I did it was at a mile. Of course instant replay doesn't show AI traffic so I couldn't tell how close it came. I was wondering if anyone has had an honest mid-air with default traffic and if the percentages of having one was like winning at lotto?

Yup, I got knocked out the sky once. Somewhere between Windsor, ON and Toronto, don't remember exactly where. I hadn't bothered with ATC at all, so didn't even hear about it util I got hit.Doug

Guest av84fun

Once in the air and a few on the tarmac. Someone said an AI can't hit you on the ground but it has happened to me more than once...while I was not in motion....certainly blocking the taxiway.You know what? When I pop up at an airport without contacting atc and I see all the go arounds and taxi traffic having to stop...it actually makes me feel guilty!!!I guess that's what they mean by immersion.Best,Jim

Yes. On final once into KORD a Boeing something also on final same runway hit me out of the sky.... Crashed and burned...since then I turned off crash detection cause I dont know when it will happen.Been also hit a few times taxiing.

Guest Tb4jy

I've turned off my crash settings too. If you have a lot of traffic, and fly in and out of a place like KORD or my home base KATL, the AI traffic will just crash you down every time. I REALLY HATE CRJ's! Come flying in on final doing 300 knots (at least that's the way I feel). I've had one go right through me. Didn't even know he was there, till I saw his tail out my front window.

Yep! Been KO'D twice. Both times VFR in Phoenix area, after being clearedto land by ATC. Both times by an overtaking acft that had been cleared to land to follow me on final. Just don't get no respect from those AI pilotsx( The second time it occured I heard ATC clear the faster acft and"firewalled" the throttle...110 kt app in default C172...didn't help..got pranged anyhoo.:-bang Then to add insult to injury, ATC told themto go around...just in case they missed me the first time I guess:-8 MORAL: NEVER-NEVER fly an approach on the glide slope....that waythose AI guys who are always "ON" will either fly over or under you:-bla Denny

I was flying a Beaver going into Bethel, Alaska. On short final, I was hit by a Lear and I fell straight down after impact. I actually jumped, and had to leave the sim for a few minutes. Being a r/w pilot, that mid-air was more scarier than if I hadn't been a pilot. That's about how fast it happens in r/w, and that scared the cr*p out of me!Don

I was clear to land on my final in a 737 doing 140-150 kts and low and behold a big 747 flew right over top of me, needless to say he was told (well after he passed me) Go Around....XP Home SP2Asus P4P800-SE Intel 3.0GHZDDR 400 D/C 2x512MBGeForce FX 5700 256MB (56.72)SB AudigyMSFF2 & X45 throttleSee you in the fence...CYYZ

After reading all your post, i think it would be a good time to ask..Who here normally gets the feeling that the FS9 controllers are abunch of drunks? Or a person who went to a fle market and paid 2$ for a fake FAA license to get on the scopes...

I get so frustrated with FS2004 deciding that the active runway should be the opposite to the current wind direction!This normally occurs when I boot up FS and ActiveSky together. FS thinks one way, ActiveSky (accurately) gave my the correct wind so I departed and flew straight into a PA-28 coming into land.I felt much better afterwards...:DAdamWin XP - ARIA 3200PCPrescott 3.20 GHz - 2GB RAMAsus ATi Radeon X800 Pro TD 256MB19" CRT 1600x1200 @ 100hzAudiophile 24/96 Audio

Guest TornadoWilkes

It has happened in real life to me:Joining an airport overhead, I had told all of my passengers to be on the lookout for aircraft and call them as they see them. My passenger who was an engineer in the RAF calmly said "like this one?"I looked out but couldn't see it, then I moved my head to peer around the post. At half a mile high in my 10 o'clock there was a twin a Golden Eagle I believe, not moving against the screen but descending into the circuit getting larger and passing left to right. Having a feeling for what a mid air looked like from Combat FS I reckoned she was going behind and fast. Real world training tells you to turn right in the event of a potential midair collision, however as she was on my left, I had right of way so she should have been the one turning not me. Besides, any turn that I did could have had me crossing her path with her behind me and out of my sight perhaps with an extra 60-100kts on the Archer. If the pilot had seen me at the last minute, perhaps he would have turned right too and hit me as I was attempting to avoid. I couldn't climb, she was above me, I couldn't descend, she was going down...So...........I immediately hit the throttles and got an extra 10-15 knots out of the Archer and turned a mild 10-15

>After reading all your post, i think it would be a good time>to ask..>>Who here normally gets the feeling that the FS9 controllers>are abunch of drunks? Or a person who went to a fle market and>paid 2$ for a fake FAA license to get on the scopes...LOL- true and they give the AI pilots a slap on the wrist for knocking US out of the sky by a "go-around"? I would think grounding that AI plane and Pilot would be more adequate punishment... I know the AI (especially the big iron) are in a big hurry and need to get to their destination to earn their income- but if the AI grounds 'em that should teach them a lesson! I think the VFAA pays the AI by the TRIP not by the HOUR hehe!

I've had that happen to me (irl) before and it was a King Air and not a little golden eagle. I was in our 1972 C182 at Shawnee Municipal in Oklahoma in the circuit. All of the sudden, without warning, I get a windscreen full of King Air decending from above and behind. He passed too close for any of you to believe me. When he went over, his wash put my head into the headliner hard and disoriented me. After he passed by he called up on frequency and announced that he was on downwind. I announced that I was also on downwind and that the king air in the pattern's pilot should expect to see me upon arrival because he nearly caused a mid-air and killed me. He said he didn't see me. I told him all the same, he and I were going to have a talk and I hoped he had help because he was going to need it.Being much faster than me he landed, jumped out, had his partner shut down the a/c as he bailed out to his car as I was taxiing to his side. I didn't chase him, I just explained that I could get all the info I needed from his tail number to his copilot. I started up and taxied to our T-hangar. I reported him to the FAA and thought it best not to give him a home visit. Where's an FAA ramp checker when you actually need him!All that is to say, it does happen, and all too frequently. The erratic behavior of FS AI can sometimes closely resemble what you get in reality.