Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Thinking about the Flight1 King Air...

I bought the F1 B200 because I got impatient waiting for the Milviz KA350 - It's a great airplane to fly! I had a little bit of a learning curve with the plane (mostly because I've never flown in a mdel that allowed hot starts). I've got the Duke V2 and the turbine Duke as well and they are also great buys - I hoenstly don't think that you could go wrong with any of them. I find that the KA200 is a bit more well mannered than the turbine Duke when taxiing, and I think that its faster than the TDuke. As far as FPS, I'm getting 25-40 on my system for both (used Bojote's .cfg tweak). I think the either of the RealAir Duke would be OK without RXP GPS, but over time I have bought both the RXP 530, 430 and GNS unlimited and would have a tough time going back to using the default GPS.

I know that its not much help, but I think that they are all fantastic - you "just"need to decide which one suits you best.

Tom McDonald

This plane is good, but I don't consider it excellent.  There has been, in the past, some talk of the realism of the rudder, even post service pack.  It doesn't feel quite right, but it doesn't feel quite wrong to me either, and there is always the fact that I don't have first hand knowledge of what kind of rudder one requires on the real King Air.  To answer your main question, the F1 King Air definitely requires rudder input to center the slip/skid indicator, and I can't imagine doing that without rudder pedals, or with just a twisthandle joystick.  As with most FSX turboprops, with the exception of the majestic Dash, the turboprops appear to have some dysfunction from the real thing.  One thing that stands out for me on this one is how shockingly long it takes the engines to respond to the inputs of your power levers, and I don't think the real PT6 engines take that long.  If I were to give it a grade, I would give it a B.   If visuals are important, the airplane is exquisitely modelled in every way, and also has the best looking Copilot of any airplane available for FSX.  :rolleyes:

Because I still want something detailed.  I haven't flown default A/C in FS for a long time and I don't want to go back to that.  I think with the GA side of things, I like the idea of the maintenance side of things that these aircraft are doing - that ownership feeling or whatever you want to call it.  I think that will be fun too.  But, above all, I know I definitely want to feel, as close as can be possible in a sim, like I'm flying the real thing.  Default A/C come no where close to that.

So, I don't mind the $40-$60 price tag to get a "as real as it gets" plane.  But, I don't want to go much past that right now until I really fully see for myself just how much I will do GA type flying.  I will be more tempted to stay in it if the aircraft I choose has that high level of realism.  Otherwise, I'll just end up back in the airliners.

If you're looking for äs-real-as-it-gets"with maintenance etc. you may also want to consider A2A's GA aircraft as well.

Tom McDonald

The legacy is even cheaper than I thought - it's practically stealing at that price lol

http://www.realairsimulations.com/legacy_overview.php?page=legacyfsx_overview

Another great plane that recently came down in price is the Baytower RV7 - not as fast as the legacy but can get into shorter strips low stall speed etc.... Like the Legacy will accept RXP GNS 530W (not the 430 though which the legacy will accept)

http://www.baytower.ca/bts_downloads.htm

If you're looking for äs-real-as-it-gets"with maintenance etc. you may also want to consider A2A's GA aircraft as well.

Agree but he said he wants to fly faster than 120 which sort of limits is from good selections....

Other options are Ant's T28A - D or Carenado Cirrus

Something to consider: if you buy from F1 there's a 30 return policy.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

A2A's Civilian P-51 - It has the performance of a King Air more or less and is IFR capable.  Plus you are running off a merlin.  Plus you are flying with style.  Plus you can barrel roll if you feel bored.  This is my baby for getting away from airline flying. 

Though in all honesty, a King Air is a good airplane that doesn't really require you to stick out the routes either.  You really don't need any kind of professional flight planner and a full dispatch sheet.  I fly a bit on the real B200 myself, and really, outside of work, it can be used just like any other aircraft.  Fly low and slow direct GPS from point A to point b?  Sure!  How do I flight plan?  I use the default flight planner :P , which doesn't stray too off from the real thing.  How do you fuel plan from one point to the other?  Just top up the main tanks, and if you want to go further, top off the Aux.  ZFW is 11000 lbs, so as long as you keep it below that, just keep it simple. 

I own the Flight1 King Air B200 and the Carenado one, and in all honesty, if performance is important to you, and you don't mind a few systems not being modelled (autofx test, rudderboost, and a few nitpicks with ITT), the Carenado is actually decent and feels more like the real thing. 

As far as rudder goes... I don't have pedals myself :P .  The real King Air really doesn't require much more rudder input than a single anyways, and both F1 and Carenado has a yaw damper and 3-axis autopilot if you so desire. 

The Real Air turbine Duke is also a treat of similar class.  I have a few quirks with their PT6 modelling, but it's decent.

With RealityXP, I probably won't stress out too much about it unless you really really want to check RAIM during your flights or would like to shoot an LPV down to minimum.  I generally stick to the default GPS myself... but then that's mostly because I'm cheap B) .

Yeah, actually it was the release of their Cherokee that started me thinking down the GA direction.  However, I'm just for whatever reasons(some mentioned above), preferring twins at the moment.  If I really did get into GA, I can definitely see myself getting A2A as they seem to be one of the "PMDG" of GA from what I am gathering so far.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Guest JustanotherPilot

RealAir Turbine Duke - a fun plane that gets 270-300knots at FL250 for 1150 nm. Good on frame rates with the need for throttle management or you'll cook the turbines and they'll stop and leave a trail of smoke. The modelling even has rain drops across the windscreen when entering rain filled clouds.

As far as rudder goes... I don't have pedals myself .  The real King Air really doesn't require much more rudder input than a single anyways, and both F1 and Carenado has a yaw damper and 3-axis autopilot if you so desire. 

So they can be flown without a real rudder.  That's good.  Some day maybe I'll add pedals. :unsure:

RealAir Turbine Duke - a fun plane that gets 270-300knots at FL250 for 1150 nm. Good on frame rates with the need for throttle management or you'll cook the turbines and they'll stop and leave a trail of smoke. The modelling even has rain drops across the windscreen when entering rain filled clouds.

So what does v2 Piston have vs the v1 Turbine?  I lean towards v2 Piston just because it is "latest and greatest" in this line.  But, if the Turbine even at v1 is close to the Piston at v2, then that could be an option.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Guest JustanotherPilot

So they can be flown without a real rudder.  That's good.  Some day maybe I'll add pedals. :unsure:

So what does v2 Piston have vs the v1 Turbine?  I lean towards v2 Piston just because it is "latest and greatest" in this line.  But, if the Turbine even at v1 is close to the Piston at v2, then that could be an option.

Can't comment on the Piston version, I don't own it.

I've got both the v2 Piston and the v1 Turbine and they're both great planes.  I fly the Piston more often, but I know that if/when they give the Turbine the v2 treatment I'll be at the front of the line to get it.  

I second the motion that you consider the Legacy.  It's a steal at its current price and you wont find a better airplane for admiring the scenery.  It can give any twin a run for its money in the speed department, too.  You could hold off on the Reality XP until after you've decided whether GA flying is for you.

All of the RealAir planes, in my experience are frame rate and resource friendly.

Richard P. Kelly

Comparing JUST the modelling and FSX versions...

The Turbine is about 3 years older than the piston, so looks aren't as great as the newer Piston

The piston has excellent added affects which help you feel like you're flying an aircraft.  There's little squeaks and bounces and engine effects etc... It also has higher res textures (but not too VAS hungry at 2048x2048).  

Both have rain on the windshield.  Both support RXP in single, double, or unlimited configuration.  Both are pressurized.  The airspeed indicator actually goes higher on the piston, so at low levels the piston is faster.  The Turbine obviously gets faster the higher you go.  And it can climb like a homesick angel lol!  (+4000 fpm)

The piston also has the Lotus style landing lights (light up the ground like the NGX).  I can't recall if the Turbine has those.

Realair is making a Turbine v2 though!!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The V2 line is newer and better done.. similar to the Legacy which is also newer than the original Duke(s).

Edit: Just saw that Ryan answered your question in more detail..

Bert

As Ryan notes, the v2 piston model is just more refined in almost every way due to the added effects and refined textures.  Piston twins are right in the sweet spot of what I like to fly, and this one is so good that I'm having trouble flying anything else these days.

BTW, as for the rudder thing, well-modeled GA twin aircraft really do require a set of rudder pedals to fly realistically and that does seem important to you.  Sure you can work around not having them, but only with compromises.  In particular, you certainly can't do any engine out practice without a set.

Scott

Comparing JUST the modelling and FSX versions...

The Turbine is about 3 years older than the piston, so looks aren't as great as the newer Piston

The piston has excellent added affects which help you feel like you're flying an aircraft.  There's little squeaks and bounces and engine effects etc... It also has higher res textures (but not too VAS hungry at 2048x2048).  

Both have rain on the windshield.  Both support RXP in single, double, or unlimited configuration.  Both are pressurized.  The airspeed indicator actually goes higher on the piston, so at low levels the piston is faster.  The Turbine obviously gets faster the higher you go.  And it can climb like a homesick angel lol!  (+4000 fpm)

The piston also has the Lotus style landing lights (light up the ground like the NGX).  I can't recall if the Turbine has those.

Realair is making a Turbine v2 though!!!

Thanks.  Yeah, I'm really leaning towards the Duke Piston v2 now.  I'm trying to hold off buying til it gets closer to the weekend so I can really spend some quality time flying whatever I get.  But, if I were to pull the trigger right now, it's the Piston v2.

The Legacy looks great and the price is unbelievable right now but, I still really just want a twin for now.

As Ryan notes, the v2 piston model is just more refined in almost every way due to the added effects and refined textures.  Piston twins are right in the sweet spot of what I like to fly, and this one is so good that I'm having trouble flying anything else these days.

BTW, as for the rudder thing, well-modeled GA twin aircraft really do require a set of rudder pedals to fly realistically and that does seem important to you.  Sure you can work around not having them, but only with compromises.  In particular, you certainly can't do any engine out practice without a set.

Scott

Yeah, like I said, it's kind of an experiment to start off with.  But, if I really do fall in love with GA flying, rudder pedals will be on the short list, along with a RealityXP too.  So, as long as I can at least do "good enough" with a twist joystick for rudder so that I can try out the GA type of flying, I'm good.

I'm also not one of those that care too much about spins, stalls, engine outs etc.  I like to pretty much just fly and enjoy new and different destinations but want to get there in the most realistic planes possible with it looking as good as possible too.  Going to GA will allow me to hit places on the globe that have been previously unaccessible due to my own limits of airline type flying.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

I just love GA.... The Dukes are wonderful, but so are the:

Realair Legacy (supporting RXP 430w/530w) - my favorite GA ever.

F1 King air, and citation mustang (hard on fps though)

Eaglesoft Citation C750 (older model so visually not as appealing but great systems and FMS + VNAV)

Baytower RV7/a (RXP530W)

Carenado TBM, Cirrus (not awesome for systems but still fun to fly, and their G1000's can "hook up" to RXP 530w or 430w)

Lotus L39 (RXP 430W)

A2A Cherokee - 430W or 530W- (the cessna lots of people love but I don't like how it flies so it doesn't make my GA love list)

A2A P51D Civilian Mustang (430W) - monstrous power - a bit over the top for you imho (at least for now - you really want rudder pedals)

Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended - fairly slow so I don't fly it but excellent handling.

Aerosoft Diamond Katana 4x (530W) - but really slow so I rarely fly it

Milviz C310 (I prefer over the Baron - can use RXP or even F1 GTN gauges on the flat VC), and Bell 407 (hard on the VAS but very good overall)

Ant's Airplanes T28A-D (I have D) - very very good value for the money and fast!

I even fly the NGX as GA from time to time.

Good luck saving money lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |