Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Crazy High VAS Usage

You have duplicate afcad files. In the NCA scenery folder remove the 2 KSFO bgl files, do this for any other adddon airports you have in the area. That's the main cause of your oom errors.

A nice thought, thanks, however these are already named to "OFF" files per the NCA instructions, so that they don't conflict. So they won't be loading anyway.

I've found the problem, folks!!

I have an awful lot of ORBX regions and airports (Australia, England, USA, Canada....) and disabling all of the regions and airports other than NCA has saved me nearly 1GB of VAS under the same testing scenarios.

I always disable the addons I'm not using during a particular flight, but was warned not to touch the ORBX stuff in Scenery Config Editor, however I thought I had nothing to lose, so made a backup of my scenery.cfg and then disabled all of my other ORBX products other than NCA.

Result? 3.1GB sat at the gate at FB KSFO instead of 3.9-4.0GB.

Did you put in the disable pre load as Jesse posted ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Did you put in the disable pre load as Jesse posted ?

I already had that, meant to say. However since disabling all the ORBX scenery I'm not using during that flight, my VAS on loading FSX has gone from 1.7gb to ~1gb.

Crazy how this stuff can consume so much VAS when you're hundreds, if not thousands of miles away from it!

I already had that, meant to say. However since disabling all the ORBX scenery I'm not using during that flight, my VAS on loading FSX has gone from 1.7gb to ~1gb.

Crazy how this stuff can consume so much VAS when you're hundreds, if not thousands of miles away from it!

Yes, I know, amazing. I disable Orbx airports in Scenery cfg editor without any problems  So you should be good to go now.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Yes, I know, amazing. I disable Orbx airports in Scenery cfg editor without any problems So you should be good to go now.

Does it cause issues switching between regions in FTX Central if you have particular regions deactivated?

For example if I'm flying between two airports in Australia I will now have only those two airports activated in SCE, plus the AUS region areas.

If I then go into FTX Central and switch to North America whilst my NCA, PNW and various airports are disabled, is that going to screw things up?

Thanks.

Does it cause issues switching between regions in FTX Central if you have particular regions deactivated?

For example if I'm flying between two airports in Australia I will now have only those two airports activated in SCE, plus the AUS region areas.

If I then go into FTX Central and switch to North America whilst my NCA, PNW and various airports are disabled, is that going to screw things up?

Thanks.

Hello!

From my perspective and "experience" all i can say is this:

I have almost all ORBX regions and airports installed and whenever i fly with rather demanding planes such as the PMDG 777 or NGX or so, i do undertake the following steps in advance:

1. Load FTX Central and set it to the ORBX-region i intend/plan to fly at (North Americ, EU, ...)

1a. Start up FSX and let it load the then new scenery libary - shut down FSX again right away afterwards.

2. Open up the scenery config editor and disable ALL sceneries (not just the ORBX ones!) where i am not going to fly at, yet only leaving the ORBX region and the departure and arrival airports i am going to fly around at enabled.

It is furthermore important though to leave two ORBX entries always enabled, if You intend to fly at any ORBX region or airport.

These two entries are labeled "ORBX libraries" and "airports" or so - Sorry, i do not have the exact name at hand now, but if it is to unclear which two entries i refer to, then please let me know and i will check out when i am at my FSX-PC again).

2a. Save this new library in the scenery config editor, start up FSX again and let it build the new scenery library - and now all should work like a charm!

Hope that helps - if any more information is required, then please let me know and i will try to offer a more detailed answer as soon as possible.

P.S.: There is no need to always undertake these steps as outlined here above - it is only required if You are changing between various ORBX "continental-regions", so:

If You for instance want to fly in any North American-ORBX region (PNW, SAK, ...) and let's say from KSEA to PAJN at one day and from, let's say KSEA to KJAC the other day, then all it takes is to enable/disable the various airport sceneries (PAJN or KJAC in this case) and nothing else!

If You want to fly in Australia however the other day, then undertaking the steps outlined above are mandatory to have it all working properly.

Hope i could help a bit to clarify all that stuff.

Hello!

From my perspective and "experience" all i can say is this:

I have almost all ORBX regions and airports installed and whenever i fly with rather demanding planes such as the PMDG 777 or NGX or so, i do undertake the following steps in advance:

1. Load FTX Central and set it to the ORBX-region i intend/plan to fly at (North Americ, EU, ...)

1a. Start up FSX and let it load the then new scenery libary - shut down FSX again right away afterwards.

2. Open up the scenery config editor and disable ALL sceneries (not just the ORBX ones!) where i am not going to fly at, yet only leaving the ORBX region and the departure and arrival airports i am going to fly around at enabled.

It is furthermore important though to leave two ORBX entries always enabled, if You intend to fly at any ORBX region or airport.

These two entries are labeled "ORBX libraries" and "airports" or so - Sorry, i do not have the exact name at hand now, but if it is to unclear which two entries i refer to, then please let me know and i will check out when i am at my FSX-PC again).

2a. Save this new library in the scenery config editor, start up FSX again and let it build the new scenery library - and now all should work like a charm!

Hope that helps - if any more information is required, then please let me know and i will try to offer a more detailed answer as soon as possible.

P.S.: There is no need to always undertake these steps as outlined here above - it is only required if You are changing between various ORBX "continental-regions", so:

If You for instance want to fly in any North American-ORBX region (PNW, SAK, ...) and let's say from KSEA to PAJN at one day and from, let's say KSEA to KJAC the other day, then all it takes is to enable/disable the various airport sceneries (PAJN or KJAC in this case) and nothing else!

If You want to fly in Australia however the other day, then undertaking the steps outlined above are mandatory to have it all working properly.

Hope i could help a bit to clarify all that stuff.

That's perfect, thanks! That's basically what I do anyway (with the exception that I never disable ANY ORBX stuff through SCE).

But since I re-did my test with the ORBX sceneries and airports I'm not using disabled, it's clear how much VAS they are hogging just from being enabled.

Thanks for outlining the FTX central part of the process, that all makes sense to me. Here's to OOMs becoming a thing of the past!

That's perfect, thanks! That's basically what I do anyway (with the exception that I never disable ANY ORBX stuff through SCE).

But since I re-did my test with the ORBX sceneries and airports I'm not using disabled, it's clear how much VAS they are hogging just from being enabled.

Thanks for outlining the FTX central part of the process, that all makes sense to me. Here's to OOMs becoming a thing of the past!

Great to read that things got clearer a bit!

And indeed:

With the DX10 fix applied and a proper management of FSX internal settings (Autogen, AI ...)

plus a proper useage of the scenery config editor,

OOM's - even when, for example, using the fantastic but yet demanding PMDG 777 at FSDT's CYVR above ORBX's PNW and with heavy real world weather in use - should no longer be an issue at all!

Sure:

No 100% guarantee can be provided as FSX still is 32bit, but at least the chances of running into an OOM will be lowered significantly!

:smile:

P.S.: Never worry to much about still potentially high VAS numbers in the beginning of the flight - because overall all that matters is that these numbers do not raise to much until shut down at the gate after the flight!

What i am trying to say is this:

I for instance remember once taking off from CYVR to PANC at VAS around 3.3 - but during flight the numbers went down to 2,8 and i made it real nicely to PANC where all ended up at 3,5 then - close to the "4GB linmit", i know - and yet it worked - and most imprtant of all: No OOM still at all!

Great to read that things got clearer a bit!

And indeed:

With the DX10 fix applied and a proper management of FSX internal settings (Autogen, AI ...)

plus a proper useage of the scenery config editor,

OOM's - even when, for example, using the fantastic but yet demanding PMDG 777 at FSDT's CYVR above ORBX's PNW and with heavy real world weather in use - should no longer be an issue at all!

Sure:

No 100% guarantee can be provided as FSX still is 32bit, but at least the chances of running into an OOM will be lowered significantly!

:smile:

P.S.: Never worry to much about still potentially high VAS numbers in the beginning of the flight - because overall all that matters is that these numbers do not raise to much until shut down at the gate after the flight!

What i am trying to say is this:

I for instance remember once taking off from CYVR to PANC at VAS around 3.3 - but during flight the numbers went down to 2,8 and i made it real nicely to PANC where all ended up at 3,5 then - close to the "4GB linmit", i know - and yet it worked - and most imprtant of all: No OOM still at all!

Great stuff!

What I'm really surprised about is just how much VAS is being used by my ORBX products even when I'm nowhere near them.

For example when loading a flight at KSFO, I wouldn't expect PNW, SAK, PAJN to be using any VAS at all, but my test results show that all of my ORBX products are taking a huge toll even if I'm nowhere near them in the sim. I thought addon airports etc would only load into the memory if you were in close proximity to them.

For example loading a flight at KSFO, I would expect my VAS usage to be the same regardless of whether PAJN was enabled or disabled in the scenery library, but clearly this isn't the case.

For example when loading a flight at KSFO, I wouldn't expect PNW, SAK, PAJN to be using any VAS at all

Hello MDF86!

... The thing is that FSX tends to load secenry in a somewhat strange way so to speak.

I do not know why exactly, but very basically speaking:

FSX's design, which is dating back to as far as 2006 or even beyond, has - as we all know - its issues and the way that scenery is loaded into the sim is one of these i think.

Due to its many details and size, ORBX sceneries sure demand some more VAS, but in the end it is FSX's core engine which is unable to properly clear the scenery not needed just as it would be the case if taking off at KSFO in relation to PAJN for instance.

Or i other words:

Every scenery actively loaded into FSX, even if there are a few thousand miles in between, does increase VAS and the closer it all gets the more the VAS numbers tend to rise.

Hello MDF86!

... The thing is that FSX tends to load secenry in a somewhat strange way so to speak.

I do not know why exactly, but very basically speaking:

FSX's design, which is dating back to as far as 2006 or even beyond, has - as we all know - its issues and the way that scenery is loaded into the sim is one of these i think.

Due to its many details and size, ORBX sceneries sure demand some more VAS, but in the end it is FSX's core engine which is unable to properly clear the scenery not needed just as it would be the case if taking off at KSFO in relation to PAJN for instance.

Or i other words:

Every scenery actively loaded into FSX, even if there are a few thousand miles in between, does increase VAS and the closer it all gets the more the VAS numbers tend to rise.

Hi Christoph!

Well, the numbers don't lie!

I devised three tests, all using the same scenario (PMDG NGX sat at the gate at FlightBeam KSFO, with 75% density AI traffic from Ultimate Terrain)

1) With all ORBX products I own enabled in SCE

2) With all ORBX airports disabled in SCE and all regions enabled (i.e. PNW, SAK, Australia, England, etc...)

3) With just NCA enabled in SCE

Here are the results:

1) 3.95GB of VAS usage, and instant warnings from FSUIPC that I was in a critical state

2) 3.25GB of VAS usage

3) 3.17GB of VAS usage

So, the conclusions to be drawn from this:

- ORBX regions do not seem to take too much of a toll on VAS usage when you are not in them. There was almost no difference in VAS usage between having one ORBX region enabled or having lots enabled.

- ORBX airports on the other hand seem to be a major drain on VAS even when hundreds if not thousands of miles away. By simply disabling the ORBX airports that I was not using, I reduced my VAS usage by ~700mb, nearly 20%. This is a lot, and will be the difference between OOM errors and successful flights.

So thanks again for your help - and hopefully this will be handy to know for other people too.

Well I'm not so sure on the airports - I have 5 of theirs.... I wonder what the loading distance is? Because my default flight in KDLH is quite far from the nearest Orbx payware - they don't seem to load into the VAS that far away.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |