Sign in to follow this  
olliecast

FSX Affinity Mask with AMD FX9370

Hi all,

I`m currently running affinity mask = 244 in my fsx config, but i`m not happy at all with my core useage, see pic below:

core 3 is maxed constantly, 0 and 1 flutters about a little, and the other intermittantly have a go,

affinitymask_zpsa5cb2e8a.png

Do you have any reccomendations on how I can improve it?

I`m getting ~20fps in cockpit with pmdg 777, rex overdrive, orb global , with 16gb ram, gtx780 and fx9370 @ 4.9ghz

any help is appreciated,

thanks

ollie

Guest JustanotherPilot

I'm pretty sure the affinity mask only works with intel CPU's, at least that's what I've found with the majority of benchmark tests. I've just changed from an intel to AMD on my system rebuild and found that the affinity mask setting did nothing to improve performance.

Hi all,

I`m currently running affinity mask = 244 in my fsx config, but i`m not happy at all with my core useage, see pic below:

core 3 is maxed constantly, 0 and 1 flutters about a little, and the other intermittantly have a go,

I`m getting ~20fps in cockpit with pmdg 777, rex overdrive, orb global , with 16gb ram, gtx780 and fx9370 @ 4.9ghz

any help is appreciated,

thanks

ollie

Try AffinityMask=254

João Alfredo

http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=hardware

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

OK.. a couple of things..

The way FSX is designed, only one core will run at close to 100%.

The other cores can help with loading scenery, so their load varies, depending on scenery conditions.

What you are seeing may well be optimal.

The reason for using an Affinity Mask, is to move the main load off Core0 where it competes

with standard Windows processes.

Bert

Hi all,

any help is appreciated,

thanks

ollie

Hey I have the FX8350 and I use affinitymask=224 it works great for me as 254 produces heavy stutters.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

As Bert mentioned, what you see is exactly what to expect from AM=244 in FSX, i.e. what you see is normal.  If you want better performace either turn down some sliders or get a faster CPU; no AM setting will make it any better (but perhaps even worse).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

The main problem is the poor IPC of the Amd piledriver.

A 4.5ghz Haswell is 70-80% faster than a 5ghz amd Fx series 8xxx 9xxx.

Bert and TheFamilyMan ar spot on.

I have a FX8350 and FX9590 and did some runs in FSMark11 with the 8350

Ok guys thanks for the feedback.

Westman, do you use the amd successfully then?

Westman, do you use the amd successfully then? Ok guys thanks for the feedback.

No . a run a 4670k in the sim, Its was mission impossible to get them to run close to a Haswell CPU

Hi,

I am using a Phenom II X6 1100T @ 3.9 GHZ. Being a six-core, I use AM=62 meaning that Core0 is released from any FSX Work. In the Task Manager I can see that Core1 is at full steam most of the time, the remaining Core2-5 hover between 0-100%, depending on the situation. So AM definately works for AMD´s as well.

All that said, I am actually surprised how well it handles FSX. In the VC of the Captain Sim 777 I only get slideshows in KSEA in really rubbish weather (REX Essentials 1024 size clouds). Once above 5000 feet, 20-30 FPS is normal, which is perfectly smooth in my eyes using DX10. In fact, my GTX 570 seems to be the bottleneck most often, as I have to use 8xSGSS in Inspecter to smoothen edges using DX10.

However - I will swap to an Intel Z97 rig later this year, once the Devils Canyons are out, the BIOS´es of the Z97 boards have matured at little..

Best Regards, 

Anders

The Phenom II is better than piledriver in apps like FSX a 4ghz Phenom II is slightly faster than a FX8350 at 5ghz

I always look at Cinebench Single Core performance as a relative measure of how it performs in FSX. The higher Phenom II' s as well as Pilediver are around 1.1, whereas Haswell are around 1,7. Hence, similar performance with old versus new AMD's, and roughly 65% better performance with newer Intels versus any AMD.

BR,

Anders

Cinebench and Old 3dmark 01 and 05 is useful, 03 to much gpu bound 06 favor multi core and HT in the CPU test .

FSmark is a good tool to see how differnt hardware performs in Fsx, not for tune FSX just to see how different hardware perform and for the GPU run GPUMark.