Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

How can I get Monterey?

I tried all morning to purchase Monterey but it seems that The Flightsim Store wants me to enroll in yet another online payment service called eWAY.

I don't want to be led like lamb with the rest of the flock to yet another online entrepreneur who wants to make money off of a sale.  I have money.  There are things I want to buy.  If I cannot do that easily then I will no longer do business with that vendor even if they have a monopoly on something I want.

I've had no response to my e-mail to The Flightsim Store regarding this.

I remember in the olden days when a business made it easy for their customers even if it made things a bit more complicated for themselves.  In this new topsy-turvy world we live in now the opposite is true.

I am a day away from dumping all my Orbx stuff if I can no longer purchase what they sell with a credit card number.

Before you ask...no, I do not have a PayPal account either.

Noel the Luddite.

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I remember in the olden days when a business made it easy for their customers

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Not sure I understand what your issue is. I purchased KMRY this morning with my Mastercard, was not asked to enroll in eWay (whatever that is) and have been flying and and out of the airport all day.  Are you saying that they will not accept your purchase with a credit card?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Just went to refresh my memory. Put a dot in the hole opposite Credit card and pay. Getting a PayPal account is no bad thing either, especially on the exchange rate front.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Yeah, I'm a bit mystified as well.   I bought this, just as I have all of my (way too many :lol: ) Orbx sceneries with a simple credit card transaction.  I didn't enroll in anything, nor have I ever done so with the Flightsim store.  Hard to imagine how the process could have been easier.  eWay is simply the CC processor they use for handling the transaction and you can create an account there and login if you choose for them to retain your CC info for easing future transactions, but you don't have to.

I think you may be making this harder than it is.  Perhaps a simple misunderstanding?

Scott

This isn;t my first trip to The Flightsim Store.  I've puchased many Orbx products from them over the past year.  But something isn't the same.

I get a new popup with an eWAY logo that says something to the effect to complete the purchase the with eWAY.

Well I continue and enter all my credit card data and press the purchase button.  But nothing happens.  It just sits there.

I've tried with two credit cards and on my last attempt I minimized Google, played a game of Free Cell, and went back.  Same old screen just staring at me.

Perhaps this old man is doing something wrong, I don;'t know.  The world is getting too complicated for octogenarians.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I finally got it but it was a chore.  The new purchase page isn;t like the old one.

When you press the buy now button a momentary message appears at the top and then goes away.  I didn't notice it the first time around.

The momentary screen said the number was invalid.  I tired again and still got the invalid message.  So I tried entering the number without the dashes and it worked.  You would think they would tell you that (maybe they did and I missed it).

Noel...

I am currently suspicious of any "new way" of purchasing. These days there are far too many sleasy operators ,hackers , etc .Do you use any internet security software? These days it is pretty well mandatory.

Ron

Ron Service

Yes, I do use an internet security device.

The whole problem lay in my not understanding that the credit card number had to be entered without dashes or spaces,  After several failures and messages that y number was invalid I tried entering it without the dashes and it worked.

I would suggest the vendor include a note on the purchase page to enter the number without spaces or dashes and that the error popup remain at the top of the page instead of just appearing momentarily. 

Noel

I;ve been buying my orbx FTX stuff through PCaviator.com and having no trouble other than the size of the massive downloads.  if you dont use an internet download manager, you will need one.   Just to handle the multi gigabyte files.   I have 3 terabytes of HD space on this machine, so Im ok with it for now, but when I start seeing single AIRPORTS like MTY being almost 900 mb, that is off putting.  I realize that part of this may be the fact that the developer presents multiple options of texture sizes including resolutions up to 4096.   Frankly, Im fine iwth the 1024 textures.  They still look awesome.  but dont make me download nearly a GB for a single airport.  I wont buy it at that HD space cost.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Just went to refresh my memory. Put a dot in the hole opposite Credit card and pay. Getting a PayPal account is no bad thing either, especially on the exchange rate front.

I'm never touching Paypal again. My account got hacked 2 years ago. Didn't loose any money directly since I had no credit/debit cards linked (I used to always remove them after paying) but my account had a negative balance of about $60. I tried for months to resolve the issue with Paypal to no avail. Eventually I just gave up. Two years later I received by mail a bill for $60.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Hard drive storage space is down to about $0.03/GB. I welcome developers using new techniques, higher resolution textures, and more. A 3TB drive can be had for about $100 now so bring on the 4096!!

The world is getting too complicated for octogenarians.

Perhaps, but the real issue is that we (software engineers like myself) have:

1.  Really poor quality development tools for web applications making them cumbersome and difficult to code/debug with standards that change month to month and were supposed to follow and keep up (just impossible).

2.  Internet "standards" that are followed by no one and W3C (see here: http://www.w3.org/Consortium/) lacks any ability to manage or enforce their standards.

3.  HTML is primitive as a best case to positively confusing as a worse case -- it's originals come from special characters used for format text documents (go back about 40 years to word processing) and we just keep piling on more and more extensions to this primitive framework. 

4.  Microsoft, Apple, Google, others have made it impossible to have a single unified platform (HTML5 isn't it either) as they continue to fight for browser market share.

But to your specific issue with error messages not being display well or clearly ...  this is a VERY common problem and is a result of developers having to code all kinds of error specific handling (i.e. you type in a value not formatted correctly such as you VISA number) to work around all the various flavors of browsers (IE, chrome, safari, firefox, etc. etc.) that all do things slight differently and all claiming to be fully 100% W3C compliant (yeah right).

This sadly is probably not going to change any time soon ... it will ONLY change when people stop buying online ... I don't want to rule this possibility out, but most do seem to continue to endure endless web site issues "as is".  

If it were me coding your specific error handler, I strip out all non-numeric values before evaluating it against a credit card type algorithm to identify if it's a supported CC processor.  If it's not a valid CC number, then I would return an error message ... normally I'd like to return that error message as a separate floating 3D window, but because of the various web browsers and standards this may not be possible and/or even blocked as a "pop-up" so you would never see the error message.  To work around this problem one can return the error message on the same web page ... but because of the text positioning, advertisement frames, and many other possible issues the location for returning this error message can be restricted or partially shown and/or in some cases even hidden.

Heck, just trying to display a message that says "Please waiting, I'm processing..." and then lock out input until it is done is ridiculous complicated -- it's the belief that no application should "lock a UI" so everything is threaded ... a belief I don't subscribe to as there are many legitimate reasons to lock a UI and most of them are for end user benefits (and prevent ads from popping up in the middle of a transaction which might be the real driving force behind the concept of never locking the UI).  UI - user interface - aka web page - aka a user's interaction.

There are all kinds of factors involved in coding solutions ... having to take into account the many different browser version to 3rd party products preventing or blocking such error message to any number of browser settings, etc. etc. etc.  Yes, it's a mess and I'll be the first to admit it as I work on web projects ... and frankly I hate working on web projects, they are big time consumers with very little payout (in terms of a sense of accomplishment).  I would much rather work on platform specific applications rather than a house of cards web application that has to run on 10 different platforms.

Sorry for the long winded response, but from a developer of web applications I can understand your frustration and I too wish there was a better way and better tools than the current house of cards we have to work with.

Cheers, Rob.

P.S.  I've never had any issues with ordering on the Flightsim store ... it's ugly, definitely not easy to follow, but it does seem to work ... just. ;)

On a lighter note. I bought Monterey the day of release (whatever day that was! See, you're not alone Noel.) For one reason and another I didn't get to fly it until tonight.

My first impression? I just PAID for this? Orbx don't doctor their screenshots? Hah! To say I was disappointed was putting it mildly. I was flying online/Teamspeak and was pouring garbage into my mates ear. "Hey, I'm not seeing that, I'm seeing 'beautiful'." he said.

I hadn't installed it. :blush: 80P :fool:

I now also see 'beautiful'.  :good: :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

To add to Rob's comments above - most developers are LOUSY human factors engineers, much the same as most writers are lousy editors.  In my past life in product management, I recall the first time our newly hired human factors person had to work with one of our highly experienced development teams.  War almost broke out, as every member of the team thought the new person was nutz.  Nope, she was great, the problem was that the team - highly experienced and talented people all of them - couldn't think like their customers when it came to interaction with their technology.  Their GUI's were a direct reflection of the underlying technology, rather than a users' view.  Her user-driven designs reflected the users tasks, adapted to the technology underneath.

That said, I'd note to the OP that almost every site I've ever used requires CC numbers to have no spaces or dashes.  Many sites tell you this, but I think it's become such a de facto standard that it's often assumed the user is "in the know".  In fact, I was quite surprised to make an on-line purchase the other day only to find that a site had actually added dashes to my CC number after I'd entered in the normal format.

Anyway, glad you got things figured out, because for those of us who remembered you have to install before using, it really is beautiful.  And the others figure it out eventually. :blink:

Scott