Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Really sharp textures (Orbx Global) with AM=254

I always run my i7-975 4-core in HT, and have used the recommended (for HT operation) 84,242, 254,255 AM settings for optimizing texure loading over up to '7' cores, with 1 left for system administration, etc.  Well, I have settled upon a permanent setting of 254, as it has consistently given me great performance in fighting off the blurries. I have been in a flight at 2,800 feet for about 20 minutes, going up the West coastline of Lake St.Clair (Michigan), with great and varied cloud cover...that cover casting many cloud shadows onto the lake surface, and Orbx Global at the coastline...and due west to the horizon.  Very sharp graphics, can almost see the BBQ's in the backyards...lol...but seriously, if you run a 4 core CPU...and also run in HT mode...and haven't tried out the AM setting of 254 in your .cfg file...I recommend you give it go. With the latest nVidia driver, and this setting, it seems that the Blurries (running around 32-40 FPS unlimited) have been put under control.  THAT...is good news....  

Post Edit: I'm now just settling into a VFR flight at around 2,200 feet...and really enjoying the diverse and very detailed (I have my top two slider in Graphics full right, with the auto-gen, at Very Dense) Global 1.20.  If you can get it, and keep it in focus...Global is really quite amazing.  I never knew there were so many in-ground swimming pools for those properties...hugging the lake, LOLOLOL!   Orbx, seemed to have noticed...lol! 

Seriously though, I'm getting great performance out of P3D v2.2, and boy..do I love this sim.  What an understatement!  I have great (ASN) cloud cover today, beautiful colored lakes and rivers...and soon will be grabbing my yacht for some water fun. (I edited the particle effect, which you must do with FSX carry overs, and the wakes are fabulous, with no black spray kicking vertical. You can find out what you must do by doing a Google Search for 'no wake, or black/vertical water spray..etc).  

I highly recommend Orbx's Lake Tahoe (in NC region) as a lake for marine activities.  Very nice scenery...and really makes you feel you are upon that water in P3D.  Water activities are quite life-like in P3D.....   Oh...if anybody hasn't tried this...just pick an amphibian plane....land upon the water..and then change to your boat.  If you like that...then create a saved flight with your motorboat, sailboat, yacht, whatever, resting at a dock...and there ya go....:)

If you can get your P3D v2.2 .cfg tamed...what a world, does P3D lay before your prop.... :)

Back to the rubber-necking.....

On my older i7 920 I have been using this setting as well and had great results.

Also I use: FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.20 which after tons of trial and error seems to be the most stable for me.

I don't mess with any of these setting anymore.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I always run my i7-975 4-core in HT, and have used the recommended (for HT operation) 84,242, 254,255 AM settings for optimizing texure loading over up to '7' cores...

-----

what guide is suggesting those settings?

Thanks

I always run my i7-975 4-core in HT, and have used the recommended (for HT operation) 84,242, 254,255 AM settings for optimizing texure loading over up to '7' cores...

-----

what guide is suggesting those settings?

Thanks

Not a put-together guide, but when you convert these different values, it is how they assign texture and graphic workload across 7 cores, with the first left open for other system uses. Other values (discussed on the forums, but NOT these posted values) are targeted for whether you have an actual 2/4/6 core CPU.  These values target having a 4 core CPU, but when used in HT to create 8 virtual core operation. I have used all of them, and in my personal opinion and through hours of use of each, the value 254 gives me the best graphic rendering performance from my i7-975 Extreme 4 core CPU.  Very stable..and can now fly with clear graphics no matter if I am hair-burning, kissing the deck at 500 knots--- (EVEN IN PNW), with the Raptor 22, or as I am now doing, just plutzing along at 2,200 feet at 130 knots in the SkyMaster 377 Turbo.  So, I'd say...give all of these values a flight or three, and see what works best for you, if we are talking about the same sort of CPU, mentioned in my system.

On my older i7 920 I have been using this setting as well and had great results.

Also I use: FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.20 which after tons of trial and error seems to be the most stable for me.

I don't mess with any of these setting anymore.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bryan

Bryan...I HEAR YOU!   I have that set to .15, but what the heck, will try your setting and see if there is a change or what. I do know that on my system spec's....15 handles really nice.  I also use BufferPools...and although some have said this has no effect...well..all I can say, is that the great performance I am getting from P3D now..after my (like everybody else...) burps and pains in the first few days to weeks...means that I am leaving it in there, just below the AF setting at the very top two lines of my .cfg file.  I have P3D v2.2, XPX.30b2, and FSX, all running like champs, and no longer play with their .cfg files as per major surgery.  I will plop it up from .15 to .20 as you suggest,  to see if there is any change.  It certainly can't hurt. I can always go back to .15.  

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=254
[bufferPools]
UsePools=0

Cheers!

This entry has no effect in P3D v2!!!

[bufferPools]
UsePools=0
Spirit

[bufferPools]
UsePools=0
Spirit

Do we REALLY, quantitatively...know that for sure?   I say....yes...I say..."Only the SHADOW...knows!"    (smile). 

Do we REALLY, quantitatively...know that for sure?   I say....yes...I say..."Only the SHADOW...knows!"    (smile). 

Well, if it makes you happy to have this useless parameter in your cfg-file so stick to it. The placebo effect is still working very well.

Spirit

[bufferPools]

UsePools=0

Spirit

How do you know?

How do you know?

I guess if it would be relevant then we could find an entry in the P3D v2 manual.

It's FSX stuff.

Spirit

Well, if it makes you happy to have this useless parameter in your cfg-file so stick to it. The placebo effect is still working very well.

Spirit

Spirit...it does make me do the dance...good, bad, or indifferent, it sure isn't hurting anything, or causing crashes.  What I DO know..that with those two entries, and only those two entries...P3D v2.2 is the Cat's Meow! :)   Very satisfied. Very.... 

Afraid to remove this useless parameter and check the difference?

Spirit

Afraid to remove this useless parameter and check the difference?

Spirit

Not really...but being that I have no problems...and being that I get great frame rates, smooth animation...I'm just going to leave it there.  If it's placebo...good.  If it actually is contributing to my success with v2.2, even better!  It doesn't take up too much room in the .cfg file...LOL!   

I have pretty much locked down and am staying away from all my sim .cfg files. Everything is great, made system-wide back ups...and am just bringing the sim(s) on line...and lifting off from the ground...or running across the water.

Can't speak to P3D until I can afford a new computer but for FSX it works for me.

Like I said, "if it isn't broke" don't fix it"...placebo or not.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Like I said, "if it isn't broke" don't fix it"...placebo or not.

I recommend to put more FSX tweaks in the P3D v2 cfg-file because it may increase the placebo effect. :wacko:

Spirit

Since this program is still under development (a rare flight sim occurrence) changes to the CFG may plant a seed of future issues. Lockheed Martin may depend upon certain values within the CFG for a bug fix or a new feature. Then we will see the screamers hit the forums claiming faulty coding by the vendor. If you do not have good proof of the effect of a CFG change restore it. Make note of any changes that do give you better performance and beware that they may be a future cause of grief.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA