Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Orbx Northern California Tour - Leg 11

Orbx Northern California Tour - Leg 11

Flightplan: NCA Leg 11 - Sky Vector (272 nm / 2 hrs)

This leg will take us across the Sierra Nevada then back track all the way to the Pacific coast to setup leg 12 (the Bridges of San Francisco event).

Starting at Pine Mountain Lake (E45) the route follows the Hetch Hetchy valley, climbing up the Matterhorn canyon to the crest of the Sierra Nevada, then jogging north to parallel the sawtooth ridge before diving west down the valley, over Twin Lakes, and the Bridgeport valley before landing at our first stop at Byrant Field (O57) in Bridgeport CA.   Departing Bridgeport (O57) fly heading 091 for 10nm to the site of Bodie before turning south and flying an additional 16nm to Lee Vining (O24).  The route follows the road up to Tioga pass then down to Tuolumne meadows and on to Tenaya lake, then bears left down Tenaya canyon to Yosemite valley with Clouds Rest and Half Dome on your left and North Dome on you right.  Continuing down Yosemite valley, past Glacier Point and the vertical wall of El Capitan and exiting the valley finishing with a landing at Mariposa Yosemite (KMPI/O68).  From Mariposa (KMPI/O68) the route heads west 51 miles over the San Joaquin valley to Crows Landing (CA93), then on to South County (E16) before finishing at Half Moon Bay (KHAF).

NCA+Leg+11.jpg

Recommended Scenery: Orbx FTX Northern California (NCA) Regional Scenery

Recommended Aircraft: Ant's T-28 Trojan or your favorite aircraft capable of 210+ knts speed

Time: Saturday June 7, 19:00 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Jeff,

You might want to recheck your SkyVector plan.  Your last GPS fix is somewhere in Spain... :Whistle:

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Jeff,

You might want to recheck your SkyVector plan.  Your last GPS fix is somewhere in Spain... :Whistle:

Thanks Craig,  should be good now. :smile:   

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

You know, it only occurred to me a short while ago that you might have been still working on it when I posted.  Sorry if I jumped the gun.

I won't be able to make it this Saturday.  We're taking my mother-in-law out to dinner for her birthday.  There's a good German restaurant down here in Stafford, called Zum Rheingarten.  It should be a nice treat.  Umm...Hefeweizen!

At any rate, I'll have to plug your coordinates into Flight Planner and do this one on my own, I guess.  Looks like fun!

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Jeff has put together a narrative for Northern California Leg 11. It is available at a DropBox account here. Nice work, Jeff.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Thanks Jeff!

Took the opportunity to create FSX .pln & Plan-G files by hand editing the "interest" GPS coordinates from SkyVector in the FSX .pln format. The file can be retrieved here.   

IIRC most have the "D" model (Not I) or may not have the T-28 at all -- In any case please fill out the spreadsheet here. Makes the MP experience much better.

Really hope to make it this weekend. 

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting, Roman.  I'll have to fly this one offline, but haven't decided what to use yet.  It's down to the Able Dog, Razbam Harrier II, and Turbine Duke.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Craig,

No heavy lifting involved  :P except for the coffee cup. A touch of XML, a touch of math, add some more XML,, BOOM!! You're in Spain! LOL.

As for aircraft. Keep the Hound, drop the Bird & the Dignitary .. You forgot one.. The Cat!

Thinking about taking the "Ol Girl" up for a spin without blowing up the engine, or landing at a field without maintenance facilities.

T-28 vs F-8F mmm..??

Ah...but which 'Cat? ;)

I actually flew the first leg last night in the Dog (Piglet's). What a blast! You guys are in for a real treat if you haven't flown the area before.

I was a little disappointed with the amount of nose down trim the Dog required. Something might be a little off in the airfile and I couldn't find a replacement for it on short notice. However, I think I might refly with the AF Corsair.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Ah...but which 'Cat? ;)

I actually flew the first leg last night in the Dog (Piglet's). What a blast! You guys are in for a real treat if you haven't flown the area before.

I was a little disappointed with the amount of nose down trim the Dog required. Something might be a little off in the airfile and I couldn't find a replacement for it on short notice. However, I think I might refly with the AF Corsair.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Dogs? Cats? Birds? What is this, a flying outfit or a petting zoo? :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Flying zoo might be appropriate.   :lol:

Don't know why I double-posted.  I posted from my phone.  I guess the forum took it twice.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

T-28 Trojans in Northern California

For the NOCAL 11 leg, Jeff, Roman, and I shall be flying payware versions of Anthony Lynch's T-28 Trojan. You can download a "Proxy" version that will substitute for these aircraft from my Dropbox here

These proxies are freeware AlphaSim FSX versions of the T-28 Trojan that closely resemble the three aircraft that we have selected. I have already renamed the "title" for the three aircraft to match the Anthony Lynch versions of the Trojan. If you own neither the Ants T-28B/C nor the T-28D, then simply install this small package and you will be ready to go. (If you own one or the other, you will want to change the "proxy" title of the duplicate to the original – for those aircraft you already have in your FSX directory – so as to avoid a conflict.)

You can download the full set of AlphaSim FSX T-28 Trojans here. (Look for "ALPHA_T-28_Trojan_FSX.zip") These are not as well done as those of Anthony Lynch but they do very nicely as a proxy for the external model.

Also, you can download a freeware version of Anthony Lynch's T-28A Trojan at his site here. (Look for "DOWNLOAD the T-28A donationware version". He suggests a donation to SOH or Ozx.) The freeware T-28A is less powerful…but the price is right.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

What a fun run!! 

Jeff, Mike & Myself just itching to go.... Got 'er hot, cowl flaps open, keepin 'er in the green,,, for now. 

Screen_06072014_140355.jpg

Really? No room for one more? In formation the temps stay lower due to "flow" from your primaries. Cowls still wide open.

Screen_06072014_140556.jpg

Ron gets a gust.. MMM.... Was it AS, Opus, FSealWX Pro, or MS FSX real WX ? ( It could've been a "Funnel Gunnel" )  Who cares? brought her in nicely.

Screen_06072014_143159.jpg

Umm, somebody is stuck... This looks like an Oshkosh departure, right before the field closes... (" I'll raise you a $450 hamburger for the next spot")   Mike in Camo, Jeff in Yellow, Nick in the Lancair & myself in the "C" - Once again cowl flaps wide open...  "I Need air!"

Screen_06072014_144723.jpg

"The entrance into the valley of ___"  After this it was all stick & throttle, ( I believe the new guys/galls call this HOTAS ) in any case it was one of the best "valley" runs ever...  It was heard over the radio from "Trojan 710"  -- "MMM ... Up to that funny business again..."  ,,,,, YUP!  One must get low, very low,  (seeing the fish's eyes)  to have fun.

The closeup view of this portion is here

The T-28 was perfect for his run. While possible, a P-51, for sure a F-8F ahhh, never mind. It was good. Had no time whatsoever to hit the "screenie" button during the run.

Screen_06072014_145121.jpg

"Holding short of Alpha" , Ron passing by with the setting sun reflecting off the fuselage.

Screen_06072014_150940.jpg

Nick bringing 'er down in the Lancair.... " I'm aiming for that black spot, no need to make any more.. "  -- Perfect.

Screen_06072014_154040.jpg

OK - This is the Question/Answer part....

1. What is the name of the white "bricks/shapes" surrounding the windsock in the above picture?

2. In what movie did the term "Funnel Gunnel" come from?

3. What ATC sector did the actor, who termed the phrase above, work in?

4. What kind of fish was thrown overboard in order to win the regatta in the movie referenced above?

5. Who was the actor?

6. In the picture below there are 3 T-28s... All of them have US Navy markings. Irregardless of the tailhook and the speedbrake shown. What is the main differentiating factor to tell between the 3?  There is 1 model "C" , the others are either  "B"s  or "D"s.

7. Who owns that grey Volvo Wagon? I went  to the convenience store next door and asked,,,

Nobody 'fessed up. It's blocking my hangar.

Screen_06072014_160419.jpg 

for those interested:
I'm rebuilding the Yosemite - Valley   ...HalfDome 3D - El Capitan 3D

2rohq53.jpg

cul95.jpg

The scenery will be available in 2 versions: 1) full version, from Mariposa-Yosemite airport to the Park (for those who haven't  Orbx...)

2) limited version only Yosemite-valley with El Capitan-HalfDome 3D (for those who already have the  orbx scenery ...)

Availability for downloads, ... early October

regards

Scenari Alpini per FSX