Sign in to follow this  
theyorks

One Year On.....

It's been a year since I delved into the world of X-Plane, starting with Ver 10 Global.  I even had a PC custom built after watching the

X-Plane demo to make sure I would get the best out of it.

First impressions were good.  There was a lot to re learn after years of FSX, but the process was exciting.  I followed various forums dedicated to X-Plane, and download, even purchased, add-ons.

A year later, and X-Plane resides largely untouched.  Why ? you may ask.

Well, very early on, being Australian, I flew from my home airport, Brisbane, YBBN (custom Scenery) to Sydney, YSSY.

To say I was shocked to find that Botany Bay had been filled in, and YSSY was now landlocked is an understatement.

I thought, if they can't get Sydney right, how accurate is the rest of the world!  How would I know by looking?  I have traveled extensively, but I certainly couldn't say with any certainty if the major airports around the world are depicted accurately.

I did query this major landfill operation on some forums, and was given the reasons for this totally inaccurate depiction of the major International airport in Australia.  Not happy, but I lived in hope.

One Year On...several updates including betas, and here we are today with a major airport still totally inaccurate in X-Plane.

I just can't go there.  Being a major Australian international and domestic hub, I just can't get myself to fly for my VA any more.

X-Plane is a simulator, not a game.  How can I simulate landing on RWY 34R descending over Botany Bay, when the 'bay' does not exist?  And Botany Bay is not some small, trivial inlet.  It is a major feature of the coastline south of Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour).

I guess if I delete X-Plane, it will leave me with lots of space to add to my FSX collection.  Unfortunate as that is.

Bob

The Botany Bay error has been present throughout X-Plane 10... Annoying to say the least, it hasn't been addressed in any updates. Ben Supnik mentioned in a blog post that the the problem would be fixed in a later revision of the beta at earliest, or 10.35. To change the landclass to water you need to cut the DSF files which isn't an easy task and I'm pretty sure minimal tools are available to the consumer X-Plane addon scene to do it yourself.

Nanosour,

I have not tried the photo scenery as of yet.  I did not like it in FSX so have steered away from it.

i will give it a go, anything should be better than what we have.

Every other flight simulator I have used, and that would include just about everything you can name, has manged to get Sydney YSSY correct.  Even apps on my Win8 phone and iPad.

I wonder if New York or some other major US airport was so badly represented would it have been ignored for so long.

Bob

Have you tried the Sydney photo scenery?

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=20882

I use that scenery myself and that is indeed one of the nicest airports I've seen of YSSY in any sim but unfortunately it still doesn't fix the problem of a Botany Bay filled in with land.

I have to agree with the OP as I'm also originally from that area and it's a rather frustrating problem that kind of should have been addressed by now considering we're almost into 10.30. I've basically resorted to only flying there at night as you only notice the runway and city lights (if you use UrbanMAXX the night lighting will be noticeable over the bay as well).

With a little luck, the YSSY fix should finally make it in 10.30 ...

The problem was a result of bad/faulty OSM (Openstreetmap) data at the time (mid 2011), that data was pulled for the current Global Scenery. Since then, an extreme lot has improved in OSM (on the data side), and also the Laminar internal processing tools have improved ... Thus the issue is - internally - already resolved ... Its just that Laminar needs time to - finally - officially re-cut that tile and re-distribute it. ... and this will now really - hopefully - happen with 10.30 ... So, stay tuned.