Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Yoke Recommendations Please!

Hi All

I'd like to make my flights a bit more realistic by replacing my joystick with a yoke, however I have a couple of questions:

Would it replace a joystick altogether or would it need to be used alongside a joystick?

I don't have room for rudder pedals, would I be able to taxi using the yoke left and right? I'm guessing not, and if that's the case I may need to use it alongside a twist yoke joystick to taxi?

Will a yoke work with the Aerosoft A320?

And can anyone recommend a setup that doesn't cost the earth but has the basic functionality I need?

Thanks in advance

I would suggest the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, albeit it is slightly bulky, it offers the best value for money. If you enable "autorudder" in the FSX settings menu, you will be able to steer on the ground, just like you would in the air.

A yoke will work for the Airbus X, but I can strongly recommend a joystick for Airbus aircraft, but of course, that is just my opinion  :rolleyes:.

Saitek makes decent products for a reasonable price. Been using their yoke/throttle with pedals for years. However, to be honest I wouldn't go for a yoke without the pedals. This would force you to you keep one hand on the yoke and another on a stick for the rudders. Besides, if all you want it for is an Airbus; you are already doing it correctly. Most airbus (A320 included) do not use a yoke, but rather a side stick. So, you are already doing it realisticly with just a joystick.

Saitek makes decent products for a reasonable price. Been using their yoke/throttle with pedals for years. However, to be honest I wouldn't go for a yoke without the pedals. This would force you to you keep one hand on the yoke and another on a stick for the rudders. Besides, if all you want it for is an Airbus; you are already doing it correctly. Most airbus (A320 included) do not use a yoke, but rather a side stick. So, you are already doing it realisticly with just a joystick.

Hi Todd

Actually the airbus is the only thing I fly that doesn't have a yoke in real life.

I fly the 777, NGX, A320 and lately have been diving into GA so looking at the A2A Cessna which I feel a yoke would really complement!

Ok, I was just going off of what you had said. Regardless, I would still recommend Saitek. It is just up to you whether or not to make an attempt at using it without the pedals.

I used to have the CH Products Yoke, now have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and Throttle Quadrant and pedals.  The saitek yoke is streets ahead of the CH one in terms of quality

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

The saitek yoke is streets ahead of the CH one in terms of quality

That's interesting.  I've been hearing so much about some weirdness in the Saitek and people trying to work around it by doing a mod.  I'd been thinking about replacing my CH with one and I just decided to keep what I have.  What's better?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I used to have the CH Products Yoke, now have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and Throttle Quadrant and pedals.  The saitek yoke is streets ahead of the CH one in terms of quality

Thanks.

What are your thoughts on using it without rudder pedals? Can you just turn the yoke left and right and control the rudder that way when on the ground, to taxi?

I have a the Saitek Cessna yoke and pedals.  If you're looking for immersion I would suggest getting the pedals as well.  However as mentioned above the auto rudder can work as well and as long as your not doing acrobatics it will serve it's purpose.

I also use an old Saitek joystick from 2006 for things like the cub, just plug it in when I need it and still use my pedals and throttle quadrant. 

That's interesting.  I've been hearing so much about some weirdness in the Saitek and people trying to work around it by doing a mod.  I'd been thinking about replacing my CH with one and I just decided to keep what I have.  What's better?

Just feels a lot better.  The CH one always felt cheap and plasticy (and never centered properly after about 18 months)

Thanks.

What are your thoughts on using it without rudder pedals? Can you just turn the yoke left and right and control the rudder that way when on the ground, to taxi?

You can indeed, in fact I don't always connect the pedals up.  I've not had the pedals that long, and after playing for so many years, still find them a bit alien lol

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I used my yoke for about one day before buying pedals. Auto-coordination may work for some but to me it was awkward and broke the flight characteristics. I found that with the yoke alone and no rudder command lining up the centerline was just a frustrating, hair pulling affair. Constantly banking left and right to keep centered instead of just small yaw adjustments. I couldn't consciously recommend a yoke without the pedals. But, to each his own.

There's also the CH Eclipse yoke, which incorporates Rudder 'paddles' built in to the yoke. They're easy to reach with your thumbs, and have good range of motion.

I replaced the steel tension springs inside my Eclipse with short lengths of HD surgical tubing, and the action is ten times better than before.

The Eclipse is pricey, though; about the same as a yoke/ pedal combination would be. I had floor space restrictions, so I went with the Eclipse instead.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I have the pfc cirrus saab yoke, & yes very expensive (still hoping wife doesn't find out)

But it's very smooth even while flying with one hand. As I found doing this wit ch or saitek was so sticky & very annoying.

If you could scrape the cash together it's a great yoke. & made very well should see me out I think .

:-)

Riche