Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Help - 10SM on METAR just gets me 10 mi in game

I think this wasn't happening pre-10.30

In the US, if the visibility is unlimited they just put 10SM on the AWOS/ASOS.

XP is taking this literally and only giving me 10SM of visilbity.  Is there a way to force it to a max?  Example if vis is 10SM it should set to the user's highest value, maybe 40SM etc.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10SM or 9999 ( m ) in European METARs, is always difficult to deal with when the only source of info is METAR.

I believe there was a plugin that used the T / Td relation to deduct hazy situations, or the presence of cloud layers, and varied the effective visibility accordingly, but it's always a subjective decision, unless you have other sources of information.

I am yet to find a flight simulator that takes into account on the client side ( because some use cloud approaches, and feed the weather according to many other meteo information sources, like ASN for FSX / P3D ), simply the satellite images. This could be a interesting project for X-Plane 10. A basic image processing algorithm, in just one channel, would be sufficient to deduct a better cloud cover.

I had pretty much the same problem with ELITE, although since I used it mostly for IFR, it wasn't really a show stopper.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

EFass Ultra WX

VISIBILITY

Most METAR reports (for example in CAVOK conditions) report a maximum visibility of 10km. Mostly the visibility is even higher. In the Visibility-Tab, you may set your preferred maximum visibility for cases where the ambient METAR contains a visibility value of 10km or more. Lower Visibility = below 10000ft, Upper Visibility = higher than 10000ft.

http://ticket-system.org/efasswiki/index.php/Ultra-WX_Weather_Engine

ohsirus,

thank you very much for your info on the EFASS weather injector.

Really looks good, at least the setup menu! I'll have to revisit EFASS.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'll go along with ohsirus,  Efass weather, good vis settings I also use skymaxxpro.

Weather with good cloud effects

Trevor Golding

I tried EFASS yesterday, way too heavy of an application - has tons of stuff I don't care about.  I also had to make a login just to use the wx - not acceptable.  All I want is a little program that loads weather and spits it out into XP.

Additionally, this didn't seem to have before 10.30 - unless I'm imagining it.  I easily had more than 10 miles because I used those raleigh scattering tweaks and could see long distances with real world weather on.

Does anyone know if they changed something weather related in the new beta?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ben - does this mean we need a copy of Xavion?

PS I'm very appreciative of the XP devs coming into Avsim forums - that's awesome (I'm an FSXer for the most part but I like what you guys are doing with XP)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Hi Ben - does this mean we need a copy of Xavion?
No, you do not need Xavion.  10.3 has the Xavion METAR interpretation engine built in.

Ok how do we allow for more than 10 mi visibility? Is there a way to add an If Then sort of statement? If the metar vis is 10 then the actual vis is 40 ( or whatever user defines when metar is 10)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I would file a bug report...

Try and make it as detailed as possible, ideally with sample METAR report data.

You can find the bug report form here:

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

The tweak to the X-Plane METAR code may end up being something as simple as: if airport starts with K and reported vis == 10 then set vis to 40.

If there are other continents with simple airport naming convention rules that can be suggested feel free to throw them into the bug report data as a suggestion too.

There's no way for the end user to alter or tweak the way X-Plane interprets METAR directly in the way that you desire.

Thanks for your support and kind words.

If we're going to grow the X-Plane market and appeal we need to embrace and inform and helping out here where we can is probably the easiest way to do that.

( I only really read the X-Plane General Forums here on avsim though... )

Author of Gizmo64 for X-Plane.