Sign in to follow this  
1290SASRider

Flying HDG SEL until LNAV intercept doesn't apppear to funtion properly

Setting up an intercept to join an airway or to the next fix with a selected intercept course should have the aircraft maintain the selected heading until it can smoothly intercept.  I set up an intercept of approximately 45 degrees.  When I press LNAV with HDG SEL green on the FMA I would normally expect LNAV to be displayed in white below HDG SEL as the armed mode.  But this does not appear to work.  In a case where the aircraft was approximately 10NM to the left of the magenta line on the ND the FMA went immediately to LNAV and the aircraft just entered a left turn.  Any thoughts?  Caveat:  if this has been answered in a previous thread I apologize.  I normally do my 'due diligence' before starting a new thread in forums but or the life of me couldn't find a search tool.  So don't beat me up too badly... :unsure:  Additionally, other aircraft models (Airbus X Extended for example) exhibit similar behavior. It's as if the only intercept supported is to a localizer... Perhaps this is simply an FSX idiosyncrasy?

David Rosenblum

B747-400 F/O

Atlas Air

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

Thats not implemented in the PMDG 747. Does the real world have this feature meanwhile? 

The only way to intercept an airway would be via DCT to fix and entering an INCT CRS while already established on INCT HDG. If the distance is too big for a course leg, a along track fix on the line of the FROM AWY fix to the TO AWY fix could be created in between to avoid a course leg longer than 20 miles for example. 

FFF/#DD 

FFF=Fix

#=+-

DD=Distance

Jan-Paul

Yes, the real world aircraft does have that feature.  And your suggestion mirrors what I was attempting to do...specifically, going to a fix with a selected intercept course to the fix and maintaining a heading until an intercept is possible.  I attempted it and it did not work.

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals