Sign in to follow this  
Wothan

Almost a month has now passed since last SP update...

Well for starters, it would be nice with a list of stuff the sp1 is adding.

I had no idea there would be some sort of data uplink thingy until a few mins ago when i saw it in some random thread.

Id like to know what is broken and beeing fixed with the fbw system?

What do you want to know? I'm honestly curious as to what you want to hear in terms of an update.

i thought it was a well designed question... i dont understand why you commented the way you did? Obviosuly, an update was all he was looking for.

So I don´t see whats wrong by asking for some kind of update now a month has passed since the last one - also if the answer is that they simply still are fighting with some issues that prevent the release.

I responded the way I did because I was genuinely curious.  Remember that this isn't a time-based endeavor.  It's simply one of completeness.  If they made some crazy amount of progress in one week, then they'd update people likely as soon as they hit that milestone at the end of the week.  It's not like anyone's looking at a calendar going "oh hey guys, we should update them now since it's been [some arbitrary amount of time] since the last update, even if there's nothing really to report..."

Its probably the whole p3d thing thats holding them up, no harm in asking imho, just ignore the people who just can't take it. Lots of them around here.

Different teams of people working on different projects, and this one has the top priority, so...no.

Kyle Rodgers

Like a few others, I'm disappointed that the 777 has not received a patch since it was released ~9 months ago. However, two things to keep in mind: 

• I guarantee Robert and the team wants SP1 out more than anyone else. 
  • It's going to be an amazing release - a completely rebuilt FBW system and PMDG's first weather radar? It'll be worth the wait. 

i thought it was a well designed question... i dont understand why you commented the way you did? Obviosuly, an update was all he was looking for.

What do you mean you "don't understand why commented the way did?"

I wasn't trying to be rude.  I was simply asking "what needs to be updated?"  I don't understand posts like this because they make no sense to me.  The formula is "it's been [x] amount of time since you've last provided an update, please provide a new one."  I understand that people want more information, but what I don't understand is why the time period matters, and what people think is going on behind the scenes.  The significance that a month has passed is essentially nothing because no deadline has been set.  As I've said a bunch recently, it's an issue of completeness, and not one of time.  When people ask for updates, they usually provide some unit of time as if had a bearing on providing an update (usually making the argument that the larger the unit of time, the more deserving they are of an update).  For a project that does not have a time-based performance schedule, the amount of time really has no significance.

Of course, we could drop the time issue entirely and still question the asking for an update in general.  PMDG has a habit of putting updates on the forum, and pinning them so as to provide the "latest news" at the top of the forum, if you will.  Those updates contain a decent amount of information.  If there is new information, they also have a habit of updating people on it (and pinning the new information), which is seen in the fact that there have been multiple updates since release.  If they have a habit of updating people based on significant progress milestones, why ask for an update?  The very fact that there hasn't been an update is an update in and of itself: nothing "newsworthy" has happened.  If someone has previously said "work is continuing on modeling System A" a while ago, and that's still the situation now, why release an update on it?  Someone has already said "work is continuing on System A."  The next update that would logically follow is either "the modelling of System A has ceased because it has determined it is impossible," or "the modelling of System A is complete."  The other possible updates of "work continues" or "there have been major setbacks" can simply be inferred by the lack of update of one of the two previous options.

That's why I answered the way I did.  What I just explained is how I view the situation.  It is, of course, my opinion, and my own view of the world.  I don't quite understand other people's view on the matter, so I asked someone to explain it.  Perhaps if someone explained why they ask for updates periodically, I might finally see why.

It is 100% honest, genuine curiosity.

Kyle Rodgers

After 500+ hours in the 777, there isn't much on my side that needs to be fixed other than the Master Caution bug from cold & dark and the autotrim is a bit overzealous on final. Quite impressed just how refined it was on day 1.

After 500+ hours in the 777, there isn't much on my side that needs to be fixed other than the Master Caution bug from cold & dark. Quite impressed just how refined it was on day 1.

That's how I feel too.  Let me put the lower MFD into map mode without a CTD and everything else is icing on the cake.  For a 1.0 release of its scope, the 777 is pretty solid.

Richard P. Kelly

I´m not afraid to sign with my full name.... sorry if I missed that (corrected now).

The question was not asked to stir up anything, though I feared it would.

I simply asked, since there has been quite a period of silence on this matter, and any other developement team would have been asked the same, if an equal situation had been going on with their product.

I´m actually quite happy with all my PMDG products (FS9 737 NG, FS9 747, FSX 747-400/8i, MD-11, 737-600/900 NGX, J4100) and has always backed PMDG.

It´s not that the 777 is unflyable for me, but it´s no secret here that SP1 is long time overdue, which PMDG also has admitted themself.

So I don´t see whats wrong by asking for some kind of update now a month has passed since the last one - also if the answer is that they simply still are fighting with some issues that prevent the release.

Finn Jacobsen

I think what most people see as being wrong with asking for an update is that PMDG has never given on demand updates. I believe people get tired of seeing the same threads over and over asking for updates or release dates and that type of thing. They have consistently given updates when they feel there is enough new information to warrant one. You mention that SP1 is long overdue but the key here is that there is no due date. It takes as long as it takes and we all have to be patient. 

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

A month???!!! That's only a day in PMDG time. Relax! Come back in a few weeks.

Does anyone actually read what they write?  It's like a convention of prefects in this forum...

Colin Ware

Seattle

I think what most people see as being wrong with asking for an update is that PMDG has never given on demand updates. I believe people get tired of seeing the same threads over and over asking for updates or release dates and that type of thing

I'm a little sceptical of that. Whenever there is an update, regardless of its actual content, there 2-3 pages of different "thank you" type posts within an hour of the update being put up for all to see. Even though the update simply reiterates that fact the hours/days/weeks of coding/number crunching/whatever other technical stuff is being done doesn't necessarily make for a great visual representation of the progress that has been made.

I certainly don't disagree with the "it's ready when it's ready" policy that is in place. Finding the time to write a decent sized update likely takes hours of proofreading in an effort to word things just so as to minimize the inevitable reading between the lines that happens. People get enough exercise around here jumping to conclusions as it is,  so there is no need to open that can of worms if you don't have to. I can certainly appreciate the time it takes to write a proper update.

With all of that said, people are going to naturally question what's taking so long. If you bought a brand new car and had to send it back to the dealership because the stereo didn't work properly, you'd want to know what the hold up was. Imagine how you'd conduct yourself if your felt the service advisor wasn't communicating with you enough. You'd be calling every day!!! Some people are higher maintenance than others but that is the unfortunate reality of customer service these days.

Anyway that's my two cents. Seeing this type of enthusiasm is a good thing even if it annoys some people. Imagine if absolutely nobody was inquiring on the status of this update. The 777 has been a solid product for me right out of the gate and I've been fortunate in that I haven't experienced the same problems that others have.

Adrian Brown

With all of that said, people are going to naturally question what's taking so long. If you bought a brand new car and had to send it back to the dealership because the stereo didn't work properly, you'd want to know what the hold up was. Imagine how you'd conduct yourself if your felt the service advisor wasn't communicating with you enough. You'd be calling every day!!! Some people are higher maintenance than others but that is the unfortunate reality of customer service these days.

That's a rather different scenario.  In that case, you're without a car.  Here in the United States, that's nearly a death sentence (though I've managed to completely eliminate mine from my commute to work, daily).

In this case, we have a completely usable aircraft.  It might have a few bugs that need to be patched, but it's nowhere along the lines of "must give up a vital resource to my transportational well being and wait to be updated."  You can still use the plane while PMDG updates it, and it's still usable in that time period.

I see where you're going, but it's not the best comparison...

Anyway that's my two cents. Seeing this type of enthusiasm is a good thing even if it annoys some people. Imagine if absolutely nobody was inquiring on the status of this update. The 777 has been a solid product for me right out of the gate and I've been fortunate in that I haven't experienced the same problems that others have.

The idea that people are curious about their products is a good sign, yes, but there are many other ways to show curiosity and investment than asking for personal updates in posts here.  Many, and far less irritating, ways...

Kyle Rodgers

I wasn't trying to be rude.  I was simply asking "what needs to be updated?"  I don't understand posts like this because they make no sense to me. 

To be honest here, it makes perfect sense as long as its not overthought. A progress report is just that, a report on progress.

To be honest here, it makes perfect sense as long as its not overthought. A progress report is just that, a report on progress.

Right, but if there's nothing extra to report...?

Honestly, I'd rather see someone not report and keep working than waste time reporting here all the time, particularly if it's the same stuff "still working on improving system X."

Reporting the same stuff over and over is simply a waste of time.

Kyle Rodgers

Here in Canada we have cars to however, it’s not a death sentence if its in the shop. In that case I can use my sled to get from my igloo to my work at the maple syrup factory, and then over to the hockey rink for some poutine as long as the electricity is on. A death sentence though?? I’m not sure I would compare not having a car to that. I see where you’re going, but that’s not the best comparison.

Congrats on incorporating cycling into your daily commute though.

I used the search function but I could not find the bit about how to be less irritating in the forum rules topic….and that one’s also pinned so I could find it easily!! Maybe you could start a new topic outlining proper forum etiquette. 

Reporting the same stuff over and over is simply a waste of time.

Ahhhh the old “wasting time” card. Is any time being actually being wasted? Since updates are only being released periodically when there’s something new to report, I don’t actually see any time being wasted.

Adrian Brown