Sign in to follow this  
Wothan

Almost a month has now passed since last SP update...

OK - I'll bite.

Your misunderstanding of the process here is showing, and is putting across an improper view of what is going on

SO CORRECT IT. Why are bug fixes taking 9 months to deliver?

I only mentioned that software dev is my day job, because I don't buy the reasons for 9 months of bug fixing!

It's OK to say "it's ready when it's ready" for NEW PRODUCTS, but that doesn't fly when an existing product and customers are waiting for problems to be fixed.

Best regards,

Robin.

Isn't it more a thing of being curious? Curious of how the development is going on? Curious of what to expect? Maybe when? etc. 

Isn't it more a thing of being part of a community? While everybody is talking about "the flight simming community" it might be just, because we bought one or more products from PMDG, that we feel we are somehow part of this community. 

Me, as someone who hardly posts here, would like to see updates on a regular basis as well, just because I am curious and I would like to know what is going on with "my" T7, with "my" 737, with "my" 747 v2, etc. :rolleyes:  but I understand and respect that PMDG is developing according to their own standards (and rightly so!) and that PMDG is defining the schedule. Someone also should not forget, that RSR himself stated that he spend a few days in hospital. Maybe this is delaying the delevopment as well. In case it is: From my side: All the best and I hope you, RSR, will get better soon. 

Norbert Plate

Hello,  I fly the 777 intermittently with the 737ngx during this time I have had no CTD or OOOms or any other faults. Reading the Posts over a period of time there are members of this Forum in exactly the same position as myself.   The big question is, when the SP1 is released, should I install it or not.  This relates to "If something is not broken, why fix it"?

Hello,  I fly the 777 intermittently with the 737ngx during this time I have had no CTD or OOOms or any other faults. Reading the Posts over a period of time there are members of this Forum in exactly the same position as myself.   The big question is, when the SP1 is released, should I install it or not.  This relates to "If something is not broken, why fix it"?

Many, if not all the bugs, are related to functionality. There is one CTD bug that I can trigger in the FMS at will, but knowing what triggers it, and that it is a minor feature of the FMS, I can work around it.

You should always run service packs - even if a problem doesn't stop the aircraft flying or apparently operating, it might change behavior of systems or correct an incorrect behavior, enhancing accuracy and realism.

How urgent any particular bug fix is depends upon how much it annoys you as a person, and its wider impact on the simulation.

For example, I keep going on about the FBW issue because to me it is a glaring fault, severely affects the manual handling of the aircraft, is totally inaccurate to the real aircraft, and affects the most basic functionality of the aircraft. Sure, I can fly it as it is, but it feels totally wrong. Add to that the fact I don't use the autopilot much, and it goes from minor annoyance to major issue.

Best regards,

Robin.

Hello Robin,  I appreciate your reply but the content of your opening paragraph applies to you but does not apply to me.  I have no problem with the FMC as an example.

Isn't it more a thing of being curious? Curious of how the development is going on? Curious of what to expect? Maybe when? etc. 
Isn't it more a thing of being part of a community? While everybody is talking about "the flight simming community" it might be just, because we bought one or more products from PMDG, that we feel we are somehow part of this community. 

But, again, I think the biggest point here is that we have seen how this works.  Just because someone asks doesn't mean anyone that is qualified to answer that is going to answer it.  It just is what it is.

PMDG works like this...They update us when THEY feel there is something to be updated.  They release a product when THEY feel it's ready to be released.  They choose which airplanes to model based on which THEY feel will be the best business decision for THEM.

So, we all know this already.  So why do we need to constantly ask?  Why do we need to "expect" updates just because we are asking for them?  It isn't the process.  PERIOD.  It's not the way this has gone or is going to go.  So, just accept that and everyone sit back and do only what we can do - wait for PMDG to continue through their process.

Kyle, I got to say, I back you 100%.  I love your approach on this and to me, you are making such valid points and very well said points.  It's a shame most of the world just can't handle or follow logical explanations for things all that well.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

PMDG I love you! :wub: , you love me? :angry:

Kyle, I got to say, I back you 100%.  I love your approach on this and to me, you are making such valid points and very well said points.  It's a shame most of the world just can't handle or follow logical explanations for things all that well.

I feel sick.

Mo45

Kevin, 

you might have missed the point I was trying to make. 

You are asking for the "why" in your reply to my post and I was actually trying to provide you with a simple answer before you replied to my post. 

Anyway, it is not my intention to stir around or to argue. As mentioned in my post, I totally agree that PMDG is developing according to their own standards and time frame. So wasn't demanding anything, just trying to explain why I would like see more updates, if possible...

So don't get me wrong Kevin! Peace ;) 

Norbert Plate

How about this... Next time someone asks for a status update from PMDG EVERYONE refrains from trying to answer, and we let the people the question is addressed to do the talking: PMDG. If they feel it deserves an answer, they will give it. If not, post gets buried.

I couldn't have said this better. Anyone who's been around here for even one complete PMDG dev cycle (including SPs) knows that when it comes to announcing release dates or even progress updates the company never responds to pressure, polite requests, cajoling, tirades, petitions, threats to take your business elsewhere, etc. So I have to assume that any posts in this thread attempting to argue how and why PMDG should change their way of doing things are from newcomers acting out of innocent ignorance. This is allowed but fruitless as you will eventually come to see and accept. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Now at least two of the four pages so far are taken up with folks addressing/reacting-to Kyle's post. Kyle, you have to acknowledge that your style is a lightning-rod for lots of folks. You have tons to offer here and have -- I've told you this before. But why not save your contributions for topics that really matter. My suggestion is that next time you're tempted to ask a question of someone posting yet another useless request for an update from PMDG that you do it in a PM. There's nothing to be gained from the direction this thread has taken except to increase members' posting counts.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

(...)
I think Kyle's response to the OP in this instance has been inoffensive, rational and measured.
(...)

I (reluctantly :P) have to second that. People reacting to this very first post of Kyle in this thread seem to have expected some "lightning" by him - and they seem to have reacted as if Kyle had delivered that "lightning" ... which, IMO, he didn't.   B)

I think that Oliver has nailed this, people have an expectation of Kyle; this time he didn't fire off the "lightning" instead he appeared both genuine and helpful.

All about managing expectations, many members appear to have an almost pavlovian response to certain individuals.

Ian R Tyldesley

Okay, I have spent considerable time in the past giving Kyle a hard time for his overly sarcastic replies. Many of you will provably have read my posts.

However... on this occasion I feel you guys are being very unfair. I have read through Kyle's initial reply and actually find nothing offensive.

What I do see is Kyle's attempt to defend himself being used against him. We all have a right to defend ourselves, lets not forget that.

I too was a little baffled by exactly what the OP expected to glean from another update. No further update means there is nothing further to report.

I really don't think we can condemn Kyle on this occasion for such an innocuous initial response. So lets back of a bit lads, before this starts to look like bullying.

Just look at this...

What do you want to know? I'm honestly curious as to what you want to hear in terms of an update.

Kyle's totally innocuous response quoted above received a crazy, and utterly uncalled for 15 dislikes, and numerous stroppy responses. Sorry but that's ridiculous.

Spot-on, Martin. At first I when I saw your name I though, 'oh, no, here we go, another lambast from Martin'. But you have been spot-on in giving credit where credit is due. After your previous rumble with Kyle, well done. Objective and to the point.