Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

PMDG 777 with OrbX FTX Global Base + OpenLC + Vector

I am considering purchasing these products, but need some advice, please. They are relatively expensive and I don't want to waste £££s.

Most of our flying in the B777 is at high altitudes where scenery detail is perhaps not so important. So my questions are:

1. Does OrbX FTX Global Base alone give the great majority of the scenery improvements required for long haul flying?
  2. Do the OpenLC and Vector add-ons to Global Base give any perceptible improvements when flying the B777, at the price?
  3. From those pilots who have already installed one or more of these products, do you recommend a combination best suited to flying the B777?

Any guidance will be gratefully received :mellow:

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Richard,

I was in your shoes last week-end to speak so, and I made the jump by buying:

OrbX FTX Global Base

OrbX FTX Vector

Please note that:

- OrbX OpenLC is not available yet to my knowledge. It will be made available by region. First region in the OrbX roadmap is Europe. I read that the price should be around 26 euros.

- "Vector" is actually a product by "Pilot's" marketed under the OrbX brand

My initial thoughts:

- Overall impression: yes it does improve the visual, maybe not so much as the marketer says ("a new simulator")

- Money not wasted but expensive indeed. On the other side the coverage is worldwide

OrbX FTX Global Base: textures are nice but at high altitudes they look a bit repetitive, at least over France. However last week-end I made a Geneva-Athens flight and from one country to another the difference was quite perceptible

OrbX FTX Vector: adds mainly precise roads networks and shorelines. It enhances the textures indeed.

PS: it is "fun" to see that 777 pilots ask things like Ezdok or OrbX in this forum and not in the general AVSIM forum. Personally this forum is my home forum, I don't read other AVSIM forums and I am grateful that moderators allow "duplicates" with other AVSIM forums. It's like a community inside the community.

- TONY -

Hi Richard,

I was in your shoes a few months back myself.

I bought Orbix Vector, and Global.  Already had the B777.

I would not be without them.  They really improve the scenery on approaches, and landings.

Don't forget if you are a senior, Orbix gives a ten percent discount.

Cheers,

Jerry

Does OrbX FTX Global Base alone give the great majority of the scenery improvements required for long haul flying?

If you have a look at my videos, every single one of them has orbx FTX Global in it (some may or may not have UTX USA/Europe - depends on how far back you go).  Very worth it in my opinion.  I'm looking into getting Vector.

Kyle Rodgers

I have Global, Vector, and will be adding openLC. As KR said, very much worth it. Overhauls the entire planet.

OrbX FTX Global Base: textures are nice but at high altitudes they look a bit repetitive, at least over France.

OpenLC promises to solve the repeating texture patterns visible at altitude. This has always been one of my "pet peeves" with MSFS...cruising over the Midwest USA and other areas has always looked so horrendous. There is a high-altitude preview at the Orbx forum that show the difference with and without OpenLC, and it appears to deliver.

Michael Faia

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

Thanks to you all for your thoughtful feed-backs. I shall be purchasing them all as my pension allows :blush:

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Yes, ORBX global and vector for me are a massive improve on fsx visuals day and night! At night you'll have an amazing lighting with this product!

I have been taking so many more screenshots of my flights since I got global base and vector a few months back.

Especially combined with ASN and REX4, I have had so many wow moments when gazing out the window of my beloved triple.

Just an awesome world to look at nowadays!

Yes, it's quite an investment. I'm never gonna fly without it anymore. Totally worth it's money if you ask me.

I have Vector and Global and they are great. Coming into airports on approach, especially in Asia where the default MSFS LC, seasonal textures, etc was lacking, is now much more imersive. Nothing better than flying a long haul and having a proper representation of the part of the world you are in. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Hi Richard,

I was in your shoes a few months back myself.

I bought Orbix Vector, and Global.  Already had the B777.

I would not be without them.  They really improve the scenery on approaches, and landings.

Don't forget if you are a senior, Orbix gives a ten percent discount.

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry,

I am a senior! How do I get the discount?

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

this wasn't really your question, but the FSALTITUDE products work well for me. not cheap either, but you can not beat photo real. you can't get the entire planet, though.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

I have taken the plunge now and bought the Base and VECTOR products.

Immediately I see that the grass is now much greener!

I will provide feedback when I have some experience of the products.

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

I'm also considering those two products, but am I correct if say that global base gives you new textures, while vector improves roads/railroads? Can anyone recommend a product for new mesh? I've heard about UTX, but it seems like you have to buy individual regions. Is there a product that offers global mesh?

Marius S

Marius,

I believe that the OpenLC products will provide this, when released. They are basically a product per continent.

HTH

Regards, Richard

Cheers, Richard

I'm also considering those two products, but am I correct if say that global base gives you new textures, while vector improves roads/railroads? Can anyone recommend a product for new mesh? I've heard about UTX, but it seems like you have to buy individual regions. Is there a product that offers global mesh?

FSGenesis and FS Global are mesh products.