Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Stutter - Adaptive VSync could offer a solution

Mike posted at LM but lets keep it here:

Yes the AXE is not officially P3D ready but other that hard on fps seems to be working fine

Hi Mike:

Have to take off till tomorrow night so will not be around till then - my system is:

Gigabyte z77x-up7 OC to 4.2 ghz - 16 gig Corsair 2133 platinums - Corsair h100 extreme water cooler - Titan GPU - NZXT Phantom 820 case - Monitor PB278Q 2560 x 1440 - 60 mhz refresh

I have turned down a lot of the settings in post for use with Aerosoft extended airbus but mainly wanted you to see the NI settings

Thanks, Rich

Rich Sennett

I cannot explain why some folk, like me, who rarely see frame rates >60 are still seeing some benefit from using this switch. Nevertheless, it is occurring and I, for one, am very thankful for that :)

Oh I quite agree Mike! From some of the reports I've read it is a big plus for a lot of people. My system, luckily, is very stable and I "occasionally" get a unexpected micro stutter but generally I just go for a smooth flight. I didn't expect to see much change so my comment was to point out that setting the FPS to the lowest practical value for each system might be beneficial too.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Mike post your nvidia control panel settings - a screenshot would be helpful - thanks

Rich Sennett

Mike post your nvidia control panel settings - a screenshot would be helpful - thanks

Hi Rich,

Settings in Nvidia Control Panel? Hmm, that's easy: Vertical Sync = Adaptive VSync under Global Settings. Otherwise nothing has been changed from the provided NVIDIA defaults :)

NvidiaControlPanel.jpg

Screen Shots? How about a clutch of 10:

Prepar3D_Image4.jpg

Prepar3D_LangleyAFB.jpg

F22-Raptor_8.jpg

F22-Raptor_4.jpg

F22-Raptor_3.jpg

F22-Raptor_5.jpg

F22-Raptor_7.jpg

F22-Raptor_6.jpg

F22-Raptor_2.jpg

F22-Raptor_1.jpg

Rather annoyingly the jpeg compression has compromised my wonderful sharp images :(  Any suggestions?

Regards,

Mike

The adaptive vSync works well on my rig. Just a little improvement from an already very good and smooth P3D v2. It looks like that there is some load moved from the CPU to the GPU.

Good finding

Spirit

The adaptive vSync works well on my rig. Just a little improvement from an already very good and smooth P3D v2. It looks like that there is some load moved from the CPU to the GPU.

Good finding

Spirit

+1

I have found that my pc runs super smooth with this enabled. I only have an Intel i3 processor, and my GPU's seem to do the hard work these days.

Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Regarding post #19 and my comment about JPEG compression, in fact these images look much better when viewed and enlarged in Photobucket. Phew! That's a relief. It's ages since I've attempted image uploads here. Just tap/click on each image and it will open in Photobucket, then enlarge by selecting the + icons.

Hope you like them. They do illustrate what can be achieved with relatively modest settings in the Graphics page of P3D v2 without the use of NI - see my original post in this thread.

The degree of realism, as portrayed in P3D v2, continues to amaze me. Without question, Lockheed Martin have really got it nailed! Mind you, a large chunk of the credit must be attributed to ORBX and PILOT'S as their beautiful textures and terrain elevation mesh have also worked their magic :)

Mike

Have been having issues with stuttering and bad performance in ORBX regions.  Ditched NI and tried the OP's settings with adaptive vsync enabled in the control panel.  I must say after a couple test flights I do see a great improvement.  Went from a stuttering mess of 20-30 FPS to 60-70 FPS.  Still unsure where frame rate should be capped for best results.  I also ditched SGSS and went from 8msaa to 4msaa so I am sure that helped my frames.  But visually I am seeing very little difference.  Very good find and worth trying.  Still trying to understand how this helps but it does.

Matt Wilson

Have been having issues with stuttering and bad performance in ORBX regions. Ditched NI and tried the OP's settings with adaptive vsync enabled in the control panel. I must say after a couple test flights I do see a great improvement. Went from a stuttering mess of 20-30 FPS to 60-70 FPS. Still unsure where frame rate should be capped for best results. I also ditched SGSS and went from 8msaa to 4msaa so I am sure that helped my frames. But visually I am seeing very little difference. Very good find and worth trying. Still trying to understand how this helps but it does.

Hi Matt,

'Silentsage' posted in the Lockheed Martin Prepar3D Forum what is, to my mind, a very clear explanation that unravels some of the mystery behind what many of us are seeing being displayed by the sim's frame rate counter. I'm sure he won't mind if I reprise it here:

"The numbers I'm reporting are the ones shown in the upper left corner of the display when you hit shift-Z.

I don't think the numbers shown on the screen are the actual FPS of the display. I suspect they are the frame rendering rate of the simulation within the CPU and graphics card. I've seen numbers well above 60 "FPS" ever since FSX was first released. My interpretation has always been that (for example) a 100 FPS number means that the CPU and GPU are rendering frames in 10 msec (1/100). I think that is why, once the "FPS" goes above 60, you see very little difference in visual smoothness - you're rendering frames faster than they can be displayed (unless you have a 120 Hz display).

Another way to look at it is that, if the reported FPS is above 60, you're rendering frames faster than they can be displayed, which means you can adjust your settings to higher values (more complexity) until it drops back to 60.

I think this makes sense because, regardless of the rendering rate, your monitor will display 60 FPS. Those 60 frames on the display are shared by how ever many rendered images the CPU/GPU provide. You get micro stutters when the rendering rate is less than 60 rendered frames per second (or 30, or 120 depending on your settings and display hardware)."

Adaptive VSync caps displayed frame rates at your monitor's refresh rate. Yet even after applying the Adaptive VSync switch quite a few are routinely seeing frame rates in excess of 60 (assuming the majority have monitors refreshing at 60Hz). Why? I do believe 'silentsage' has provided us with the answer. To me, he makes excellent sense while preserving our understanding of what is happening with Adaptive Sync.

Regards,

Mike

I still have stutter below 24 fps but otherwise its nice. The most smooth experience in FSX for me is still N.I@58FPS windowmode which also works in combo with adaptive VSync. Havent try it yet though in P3DV2.

But it cut FPS in half when undocking panels so i only use it in GA.

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

As I just posted over on the P3D forum thread... this is giving me a distinct increase in smoothness at comparable settings.  Not quite apples-to-apples - I'll need to try heavier weather - but I'm optimistic.  Still getting best results with middle-of-the-road autogen sliders and conservative shadows (VC only), and had to reintroduce my Inspector settings (Rob Ainscough's) to kill the shimmering, but the microstutters I was seeing before (in turns, for example, with the A2A Cherokee) are gone.  Very encouraging.  

This seems to be working great for me as well. A2A Cherokee, Mooney Acclaim, T-6, whatever plane I use does not seem to matter. I have not pushed the sliders to max yet but FR and smoothness factors are certainly higher; much higher. Thanks for this.  

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Hi Alan, Greg,

Great news! Thanks for posting. Good to see further confirmation that the 780s are reaping benefit from using this switch as well as older cards.

Regards,

Mike

I don't see an option for adaptive vsynce for my nividia controller. Any idea why it isn't there?

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

I don't see an option for adaptive vsynce for my nividia controller. Any idea why it isn't there?

Hi Anthony,

Right click your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.

NvidiaControlPanel.jpg

My understanding is that this option first appeared in the 300 series drivers. I am on 337.88 WHQL (the most recent).

According to NVIDIA the earliest card supported is the GeForce GTX 650. I suspect this is just marketing because I know it works on the GTX 580M (mine) and there has been a post from a simmer using a 560 with good results. I see you have a 550 so it will be interesting to hear how you get on. Please post your results - thanks!

If you still don't see the Vertical sync option in NVIDIA Control Panel then I suggest you update your driver using NVIDIA's GeForce Experience and select 'Clean Install'. Don't worry, it's all done for you automatically.

https://developer.nvidia.com/geforce-experience

Mike