Sign in to follow this  
pdungan

nav button

When I fly rod machados flight tutorials-I find when I track inbound to a vor with the nav button- the aircraft goes way off course so I end up clicking the hdg button-how do I fix this

Is your NAV/GPS switch set to NAV?

Do you have the right VOR tuned into the NAV radio?

Do you have the OBS set to the correct radial?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Yeah I think so-is there any other reason

How far away is the VOR ?

What is your intercept angle?   (ie. if you want to fly 90 degrees inbound and your intercept heading is currently 60 degrees....your intercept angle is 30 degrees.

ps don't confuse a track/course with a VOR radial.  In my above example if you want to fly 90 degrees inbound track , you are flying on the 270 degree radial

Peter Schluter

Yeah I think so-is there any other reason

I am flying the 737

Possibly - I can't speak for every aircraft but those I fly will not engage correctly unless you are bang on the beam. Otherwise you turn away and get further and further from the beam. This is some sort of software bug as your NAV button will then do this every time unless you "reload" the aircraft or save the flight and return.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Possibly - I can't speak for every aircraft but those I fly will not engage correctly unless you are bang on the beam. Otherwise you turn away and get further and further from the beam. This is some sort of software bug as your NAV button will then do this every time unless you "reload" the aircraft or save the flight and return.

John

john

i have never seen this behavior either from default or addon a/c. What aircraft do you experience this with?

Peter Schluter

john

i have never seen this behavior either from default or addon a/c. What aircraft do you experience this with?

Golden oldies, Peter. DC-3s (MAAM-Sim), DC-4s,5s, 6s and 7s. Constellations, Stratocruisers etc. (sorry, I'm a bit stuck in the past). They always pick an approach beam perfectly, but with when navigating VOR to VOR I find I always have to engage when bang on the beam. Or else . . .

John

I have the MAAM, CalClassics' DC-4, -6, and -7, and the Connie as well and never experienced this, either the OP's or your's John.  With all of them I turn to an intercept heading of 45 degrees or less and, depending on the panel I'm using, engage heading hold or LOC or both.  When I get to the radial I want HDG disengages and LOC takes over turning me on the radial to (or away from if past the VOR) the VOR Station.

Randy

Well, there you go. This has existed for me since the year dot, through several installs onto new computers. I was just suggesting it as a possible solution for the original poster's question.

John

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or condescending, John, if that's the way you took my post.  That's the trouble with the written word.  Inflections are so hard to figure out.

My post, and the post of many others, seems to indicate that the OP's problem...and yours...are not the norm.  I wonder if perhaps there is a setting in the FSX configuration file for you and the OP that has made "on the beam" a necessity?  I don't know of one, but then I have never perused the FSX.cfg file line by line, word by word.

Randy

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or condescending, John, if that's the way you took my post.  That's the trouble with the written word.  Inflections are so hard to figure out.

My post, and the post of many others, seems to indicate that the OP's problem...and yours...are not the norm.  I wonder if perhaps there is a setting in the FSX configuration file for you and the OP that has made "on the beam" a necessity?  I don't know of one, but then I have never perused the FSX.cfg file line by line, word by word.

Randy

Thanks, I didn't take it that way so no need to apologise. But I was merely offering a suggestion to help rather than worrying about fixing a problem (which I didn't even regard as such) that I learnt to live with long ago. To be fair, I have modified my panels to suit my personal taste (the CC panels quite rightly only have very basic autopilots) so my "problem" may be self-inflicted. My modifications certainly use pre-FS2004 gauges. Another factor may be that I am on FS2004 and not FSX.

Best wishes,

John