Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Twilight Of Net Neutrality?

This video has some slightly rude television language but I hope the issue is important enough that some leeway is given. As it stands right now, the groundwork is being set for a huge change in the way the internet works, and the future doesn't look good for innovation and competition when established companies and sites with deeper pockets can pay for faster internet access than less well heeled competitors. 

The precedents are not good: https://www.eff.org/issues/net-neutrality

The fox's are in the hen-house now, and people need to speak up!!! (assuming for a second that the game is not so rigged that nothing we can do matters)

John Oliver frames the issue in a nutshell in a way that all of my boring armchair lawyering could never do, so please take a moment for a look, and then WRITE!!!!

http://www.fcc.gov/comments

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The FCC has a poor track record of getting net neutrality right.

(Enter government department of your choice here) has never and will never get anything right in political system dominated by monied politics and corporate greed.

Enjoy the internet now, as we are in the golden age. The future is not so bright.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

(Enter government department of your choice here) has never and will never get anything right in political system dominated by monied politics and corporate greed.

+10000000

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

The 'dingo' segment was a riot (but true). I think, "please don't eat my baby" is my new catch phrase. Just wish I could do an Australian accent .

Since the current FCC chair used to be the lead lobbyist for the cable industry there can't possibly be a conflict of interest.  Can there?

DJ B)

Since the current FCC chair used to be the lead lobbyist for the cable industry there can't possibly be a conflict of interest.  Can there?

DJ B)

It's your imagination. Nothing to do with one another. At all.  :ph34r:

I'm beginning to wonder if you can be in politics at any level for very long without being corrupted at this point.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I have been a member of the EFF for years, fighting this and other internet issues tooth and nail, but as Mr Oliver said, its boring stuff, and hard (Very Very) to wake people up enough, or even get their attention. Mr Oliver's bully pulpit reaches an awful lot of people, and his humorous approach kept them listening long enough to make the point.

The FCC website was subsequently  crashed by a flood of comments, but will that be enough? If you care even a little, make your voice heard!!!

Devons rig

By all means go to fcc.gov/comments and make your comment - the net neutrality docket is the first on the list.  The FCC is showing signs of idiocy - again.

DJ 

I must confess that I've been buried so deep in development work that I was totally unaware of this issue...

Having watched John Oliver's blisteringly funny presentation however, I am no longer ignorant. I particularly rolled with sad laughter at his comment regarding how Apple could bury the content of "Mein Kampf" in their user agreement and no one would ever know as they would -like almost all of us- just click on "Agree" and blow past that boring wall of text. :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Enjoy the internet now, as we are in the golden age. The future is not so bright.

Yep.  It was nice while it lasted.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

It will be a moot point for many, until somewhere down the pike their favorite hangouts start becoming pay-sites or close down because they can't pony up the extortion for reasonable access speeds.....

Wonder if people will care then..

Devons rig

Before reading any more posts anywhere, make your voice heard!

The cable companies want to turn the internet into their own private cable service.  I would not be surprised if they already have their "package deals" ready to roll out.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

At the end of the day, someone has to pay for the infrastructure.  The questions are who and how much.

scott s.

At the end of the day, someone has to pay for the infrastructure.  The questions are who and how much.

scott s.

Yeah.

Thing is, we (as in we, the taxpaying public) have already been repeatedly scammed out of billions for just that purpose, and left with nothing but broken promises to show for it.

If anyone seriously wants to educate themselves on this issue, here is a great place to start.

Regards,

Brian Doney