Sign in to follow this  
Addicted2FSX

Questions about FTX Global...to purchase or not to purchase

Hello All,

I have been indecisive on purchasing FTX Global since it's release and have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer that would probably help my decision (and others) on going forward with purchasing FTX global or leaving it alone. First before I start with the questions I would like to note that from what I have read about FTX Global in forums a vast majority of simmers claim its outstanding and others say it has many issues. Like other addons, issues will be expected for a brand new product especially one that covers the whole world...That is simple. In addition to FTX Global, Like most users if you plan on purchasing this you are more than likely looking into purchasing Global Vector or at least considering it so there will be some questions regarding that as well.

I myself currently own a couple of orbx regions and I must say that I am very impressed with the level of quality that orbx has put into these regions and the airports I have purchased. I will also add that I am even more impressed with the performance you get when using orbx products. They are very good on frames(at least the ones I have), but every PC is different! One would also expect such orbx products to mesh seamlessly with FTX Global.

I understand that there are a lot of loyal orbx customers out there that are not going to give an honest opinion of an orbx product simply because of their loyalty. I am asking not for biased opinions but simply YOUR honest 2 cents from your personal experience. Everyone has a different idea of how their simulator should look and that's why some products are not for certain simmers. Let the questions begin...

1. How friendly is FTX Global with other addon airports?

2. Is FTX Global "Fully" compatible with UTX?

3. Is the quality of FTX Global similar or better than an orbx FTX region?

4. Do any users have issues with Hybrid mode?

5. Is there a way to disable FTX global for certain parts of the world if you wish to use other scenery?

6. Do users prefer Global Vector versus other terrain such as Ultimate Terrain X?

7. Are a good percentage of users experiencing a significant performance hit with FTX Global?

8. Are a good percentage of users experiencing a significant performance hit with Global Vector?

9. How friendly is FTX Global with other addons in general? 

10. Is orbx addressing the problems users are experiencing in their patches or do the issues remain?

11. Has Orbx created an uninstaller for FTX Global and does it successfully wipe the program from FSX without having to reinstall the sim?

12. In your opinion, is the value of FTX Global "good enough" or do users need to spend more of their money on openLC packs and other DLC from orbx to have better quality?

Addicted....

Here is my honest two cents worth:

1.  FTX Global replaces the default "TEXTURES" only.  Since they replace the textures, I'm positive that it is compatible to all add on "airport" scenery. 

2.  Yes.

3.  No....as FTX Global only replaces the FSX default textures, the regions have a lot more added to them for realism.  That's why if you're going to fly only in a certain region, within FTX Central you switch from "Global" to that region.  However, even if you leave FTX Central set on "Global", with the "Hybrid Mode" checked, you still get most of the realism flying in the regions.

4.  Speaking for myself, no.

5.  No.  As stated before, FTX Global replaces the FSX default textures only.

6.  I don't know.  I have used both at the same time with no issues.

7.  Speaking for myself, no.  No "hit" at all.

8.  Again, speaking for myself, no.

9.  I'm not sure.  I've heard there are some addons that are not compatible....I think GEX is one of them.  Best thing to do is go to the ORBX Compatibility Forum and search around.. http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/80-ftx-compatibility-forum/

10.  Yes, they address them.  My experience is that their support is very good.

11.  No, I don't think there is an uninstaller.  I never was concerned about having one, because I knew that FTX Global replaced the FSX default textures only.  When you install FTX Global, the install program will ask if you want to backup your original textures.  So, if you ever want to uninstall FTX Global, then you delete the FTX Global textures, and replace with the FSX default backup textures you saved during install.  But, in my opinion, you will not want to revert back to FSX default.

12.  FTX Global is the best thing (maybe the only thing) out there that replaces the FSX default textures.  When the Open LC packs are finished, and available, then the complete package will include FTX Global, Vector, and the Open LC packs.  Right now there are no OpenLC packs available, as they are in the last stages of completing Open LC EU.  They do have the Iceland Demo for download for those that would like to see what the complete package looks like.  However, keep in mind, the Iceland Demo was created a few months ago, and Orbx is using their experiences to make the other OpenLc packs better.  That's why Open LC EU is running behind schedule.

I use FS Global 2010 for the terrain enhancement.  So, with FS Global 2010, FTX Global, FTX Vector, and then the Open LC packages, I will have a complete new FSX version.  If you haven't already, I suggest going to the Orbx website and looking through the different threads/posts.  Here is a good one... http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/61929-ftx-global-what-is-it-all-about/

Safe Flyin'......

Rod

Rod Beck

1. How friendly is FTX Global with other addon airports?

Very. It replaces default textures only. 

2. Is FTX Global "Fully" compatible with UTX?

Yes.  However, in the future, the OpenLC products will build on the FTXG base, and might have a few custom texture conflicts.  Hard to say if that will happen, but I wouldn't guarantee 100% compatibility.

3. Is the quality of FTX Global similar or better than an orbx FTX region?

In terms of ground textures, sort of.  An Orbx region has quite a few extra custom ground textures that they use custom landclass mapping for, which are designed to match the region.  By it's nature of being a 'global' product, FTXG can only include a certain number of replacement textures, therefore there is more limits on variety.  For example, FTXG has only a few different cropland textures, whereas a typical full region will have twice or three times that many.

To be really honest, FTX Global actually recycles a lot of the textures from their various regions.  But then, a lot of textures within their regions are recycled from their previous regions also, so make of it what you will.

However, full regions add much more to the picture, such as vector placement, mesh, replacements for the default airports, etc.  FTXG does not do these extra things.

4. Do any users have issues with Hybrid mode?

I have no issues with Hybrid mode.  To be honest, I don't even know if I could tell the difference.

5. Is there a way to disable FTX global for certain parts of the world if you wish to use other scenery?

No.  Once installed, it replaces all of your default textures with it's own.  I do believe it has an uninstaller now, but that's the only way you'd 'disable' it.

6. Do users prefer Global Vector versus other terrain such as Ultimate Terrain X?

I don't use the FTX Vector product.  In it's current state, it's simply not good enough for me in North America.  I do plan on reassessing this once the Vector 1.2 update is released, as it's supposed to bring massive improvements.

7. Are a good percentage of users experiencing a significant performance hit with FTX Global?

I see no cost in performance, at all.

8. Are a good percentage of users experiencing a significant performance hit with Global Vector?

Can't answer that question.

9. How friendly is FTX Global with other addons in general?

I personally have no issues, and due to the nature of what FTXG does, I wouldn't expect any issues.

10. Is orbx addressing the problems users are experiencing in their patches or do the issues remain?

I'm thinking you might be reading about issues with FTX Vector... to my knowledge, there are very few (if any?) issues with FTX Global.

11. Has Orbx created an uninstaller for FTX Global and does it successfully wipe the program from FSX without having to reinstall the sim?

I couldn't tell you.  I like it enough I wouldn't think of uninstalling.

12. In your opinion, is the value of FTX Global "good enough" or do users need to spend more of their money on openLC packs and other DLC from orbx to have better quality?

FTX Global is only one aspect of scenery replacement: ground textures.  In my opinion, you need to cover the other aspects: mesh, landclass, vectors.  This is the same regardless of what mix of products you use, and not a specific failing of Orbx.  I would also suggest you take a look at the link that Rod has given; it might shed a bit of light over what does what.

I personally think that FTX Global is very good at what it does; but keep in mind that what it does is one very specific thing.  You cannot install it and only it, and expect a completely different experience.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.