Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

Losing performance over time (almost 50%!)

Hi all,

I just recently observed a strange phenomenon with my FSX at some airports. I lose performance over time. As you can see on the first screenshot, shortly after firing FSX up, I have almost 20FPS at LFPG (Aerosoft scenery) with AI traffic. I can live with that. But then, the performance gradually decreases...

startlheto.jpg

After just two minutes, the FPS are down to 15. Without doing anything, just sitting there and waiting:

2mins2ld4m.jpg

Then, after another 2-3 min, the performance is down to roughly 11FPS and stays there. No matter what I do (except flying out).

5minsk7fjs.jpg

What could that be? I turned off my AI traffic after reaching 11FPS, it did not restore the FPS at all. So even if it IS the AI traffic, why this gradual loss of performance over time? Any ideas?

regards

Chris

PS: I am not sure if this is the right subforum, but as I use the DX10 mode...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I had that exact problem for a long time.  I thought maybe it was heat related.   I used "Core Temp" and saw all 4 cores running in the high 90's C.  Took off the cooling fan and noticed the layer of thermal paste was like concrete.  Cleaned off the old paste and applied a new layer of Artic Silver from radio shack, reattached the fan and wow!  Temps at full bore, all cores running at 100%, now never exceed 71C. FPS shot up like a cannon.  Best 14$ ever spent at Radio Shack.

Warren

I am 100% sure that it is not a temp problem, as this occurs only on specific airports and my temps are fine (max 65-70°C with full load).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

What could that be? I turned off my AI traffic after reaching 11FPS, it did not restore the FPS at all. So even if it IS the AI traffic, why this gradual loss of performance over time? Any ideas?

Well, you can re-test by turning all AI traffic completely off and exit/reload FSX and put yourself at the same airport. Play the waiting game again, and observe if you start losing your FPS once again.

Could be the AI, scenery, whatever add-on airplane you're flying, any 3rd party enhancements,  or a combination of all four causing your problem....

And Aerosoft LFPG is a pig when it comes to being optimized. Like EHAM and EDDF, it is one of the older releases with heaps of warts. Not much you can do in that regard.

Has the drop in FPS just started happening, or have you not had the airport long ?

If you don't get fps drops at other airports, it is not your set up, just the badly optimized LFPG.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Not sure what traffic package you're using but I use UT2 which takes a little while (sometimes up to a minute) for all the AI aircraft to appear when you first load a flight.

If I start up at the gate at UK2000 Heathrow, I will have FPS of around 18, but as soon as my 75% UT2 traffic kicks in it will be about 10.

Not sure what traffic package you're using but I use UT2 which takes a little while (sometimes up to a minute) for all the AI aircraft to appear when you first load a flight.

If I start up at the gate at UK2000 Heathrow, I will have FPS of around 18, but as soon as my 75% UT2 traffic kicks in it will be about 10.

As you can see on the first screenshot, the AI is already fully loaded. Only AI related thing I can think of: it takes some time for the AI to get running (planes taking off, planes landing, planes taxiing etc.), all related to turning lights on etc. This could be a reason. Then I simply wonder why this does not happen on other heavy airports such as Hong Kong, EGLL, LSZH etc.? There, the AI traffic is the same, but performance remains constant over time...

Greetings, Chris