Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

FSNavigator + IVAO = False?

Hi,Downloaded FSNavigator 4.6 for evaluation but have a problem, I don't see any online traffic on the FSNavigator map even thought I have the 'Multiplayer Aircraft' option switched on. I'm connected to IVAO using the latest version of IvAp and have of course connected to the multiplayer session in FSNavigator as described in the documentation.Anyone got this to work? I'm not interested to invest EUR35.00 in FSNavigator if the integration with online flying doesn't work as advertised...TIA,

Richard Åsberg

Guest deKoven

>Hi,>>Downloaded FSNavigator 4.6 for evaluation but have a problem,>I don't see any online traffic on the FSNavigator map even>thought I have the 'Multiplayer Aircraft' option switched on.>I'm connected to IVAO using the latest version of IvAp and>have of course connected to the multiplayer session in>FSNavigator as described in the documentation.>>Anyone got this to work? I'm not interested to invest EUR35.00>in FSNavigator if the integration with online flying doesn't>work as advertised...>>TIA,You need to open FSNav's Plan menu and look for Multiplayer hookup. Then there's a small button near the last on the right hand side button menu which, if you mouse over, says something like show other planes in multi. That said, if you and I are on multi and you hook FSNav up to multi, don't expect ME to hang around. That is, by far, the most glaring fault in FSNav which, other than that, is a VERY good program. Hmmm, now I think about it, one or two other folks isn't too bad. It's when you get more than about 3 that Nav goes T*Ts-up. I put up with the fact it doesn't work because the prog is just fantastic in other areas. I couldn't fly without it. :D

Like I said in my first post I have both hooked up FSNav with the multiplayer session as well as switched the option of showing multiplayer traffic on...and now when I tried this today it actually showed some online aircrafts :-) It appears that it will only show online aircraft in a specified radius around your own aircraft, is that right? That would explain why I didn't see any online traffic yesterday since I didn't have any traffic close to me.Now I have another question on the same subject. When I hook up FSNav to the multiplayer session I'm asked to enter the name I want to appear for my a/c on the map but it doesn't matter what I put in that field - it will always show FS2004 and I found that is the player name when checking the multiplayer connection details in MSFS and that is a name I haven't entered myself - don't know where it comes from but a guess would be IvAp (the IVAO pilot client) is the one setting that name by default.

Richard Åsberg

Guest DOK

>It appears that it will only show online aircraft in a specified >radius around your own aircraft, is that right? That's correct. The visibility range is configurable via the IvAp - Configuration Uitlity. Maximum is 40nm.>don't know where it comes from but a guess would be IvAp >the IVAO pilot client) is the one setting that name by default.That's right too. It's just the way it works with IvAp: you're always FS2004, because when you start up IvAp it automatically creates a mutliplayer session with that player name. With SquawkBox, you had to start the multiplayer session yourself, and consequently were able to put in a player name of your liking.RegardsOliver

Hi Oliver,Thanks for the info. About the user name IvAp sets by default, is this a name that you can change in any way to a name of your own choice or is it "hard-coded" into IvAp?And when setting a name in the dialog box that pops up in FSNav when you're about to connect to a multiplayer session - shouldn't the player name change then since you do this AFTER IvAp has already created the multiplayer session? Or is the problem that you can't change the player name without first disconnecting from the session and reconnect which would set the default FS2004 name again...Hmm...I really do hope there is a way to change this name in IvAp or that it will be possible in a future version. Never liked hard-coded programs...Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Guest DOK

>Hi Oliver,>>Thanks for the info. About the user name IvAp sets by default,>is this a name that you can change in any way to a name of>your own choice or is it "hard-coded" into IvAp?As you might have seen in the IvAp Forum this isn't configurable and it's going to stay that way (http://forum.ivao.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12747)>And when setting a name in the dialog box that pops up in>FSNav when you're about to connect to a multiplayer session ->shouldn't the player name change then since you do this AFTER>IvAp has already created the multiplayer session? Or is the>problem that you can't change the player name without first>disconnecting from the session and reconnect which would set>the default FS2004 name again...You have to understand that we're talking about two different player names:Name1 (FS2004): name of the "FS9 Player"; this name is entered by IvAp, when it creates the MP SessionName2: name of the "FSNav Player"; you can enter this name when you connect FSNav to the Multiplayer Seesion>Hmm...I really do hope there is a way to change this name in>IvAp or that it will be possible in a future version. Never>liked hard-coded programs...Then there's always FlightGear :-)I guess you just have to get used to the FS2004 player name; I sure have.See you in the IVAO skiesOliver

Hi Oliver,Thanks for the info and pointing out the answers given in the IvAp forum thread. Guess it's not a big issue really, just would have been nice if you could have the same name in all programs you use.Think I understand we're talking about two different player names but what I don't understand is why you have the option to enter a FSNav player name when connecting to the MP session when whatever name you enter there will still not show up?Yep, see you in the IVAO skies Oliver :-)

Richard Åsberg

Guest DOK

>Think I understand we're talking about two different player>names but what I don't understand is why you have the option>to enter a FSNav player name when connecting to the MP session>when whatever name you enter there will still not show up?The name you enter will show up alright, not in FSNav but rather in the FS9 Multiplayer Session. The name you see in FSNav is the "Player Name" that you (or in this case IvAp) entered while creating the MP Session.You can see the "Player Name" that you've entered in FSNav when you hit "Return" in FS9 to open the Multiplayer Chat.I guess the option to enter a player name in FSNav is only useful when you play in a true FS9 MP (not with IvAp or Squawkbox) environment, where more than one player has FSNav, so that all FSNav can connect to the MP Host without conflicting names.Regards Oliver

Oliver,That was my thought, what will happen if someone else using FSNav show up on my FSNav screen when flying online on IVAO, will there be some kind of conflict that could cause any problem or will I simply see two FS2004 players?Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Guest DOK

Hi Richard,>That was my thought, what will happen if someone else using>FSNav show up on my FSNav screen when flying online on IVAO,>will there be some kind of conflict that could cause any>problem or will I simply see two FS2004 players?IvAp takes care of that: if another player comes into range and thus will be displayed, IvAp creates a new player in your local FS9 MP session. The "player name" will be the callsign that this other player has entered in his IvAp (not FS2004). Every user of IvAp has an MP session with a "FS2004" player. But that's no problem, because the FS9 MP sessions don't communicate directly with each other. Your FS9 MP session talks to your local IvAp which in turn communicates with an IVAN server. This IVAN server then talks with the other players IvAp, which talks to his FS9 MP session.In short: whatever player name is in your FS9 MP doesn't leave your PC, only what's entered in IvAp counts for IVAO's IVAN network.(the conflict I was talking about in my last post could only occur in a MP environment where you connect two or more FS9 directly to a FS9 MP session, not through IvAp). I hope this clarifys somewhat.RegardsOliver

Thanks alot Oliver for the clarification, that's great news and exactly what I wanted to know and hear!!Can't care less what I will see on my own local screen as callsign for my own a/c but don't want other players to see me as FS2004 and don't want to see other players myself named FS2004...which I understand after your post won't happen.Again Oliver, thanks for the explanation!Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Guest DOK

Hi Richard,>Thanks alot Oliver for the clarification, that's great news>and exactly what I wanted to know and hear!!glad that I could help.>Can't care less what I will see on my own local screen as>callsign for my own a/c but don't want other players to see me>as FS2004 and don't want to see other players myself named>FS2004...which I understand after your post won't happen.Exactly. Just try it out: start up Servinfo, look for an airport with some traffic on the ground, then put your airplane on a parking stand and connect to the IVAN network. The you can watch the other planes in FS9 and FSNav and confirm that everything is good and right. If your computer is up to the task, configure IvAp for 40nm visibilty range: you won't get to see the others in FS with this distance, but they will be visible in FSNav and on the IvAp TCAS.>Again Oliver, thanks for the explanation!You're welcome.RegardsOliver

Hi Oliver,Just tried it and it works like a charm.All the best,

Richard Åsberg